Fresh Water Sharks In Cumberland?

Any random thought and item for the Lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

DMS

Fresh Water Sharks In Cumberland?

Post by DMS »

I dont think they are here cause someone would have caught one by now...but is it possible?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While many people are afraid to go into the ocean because they fear sharks, they do not fear lakes where they often come into close contact with fresh water sharks.

They can still be found in large bodies of fresh water in central and southern states that have sufficient ecosystems to support these large predatory fish.

Freshwater sharks rarely achieve lengths greater than 8 feet. This is thought to be due to the fact that they are dormant in colder weather and do not feed year round. It could also be an adaptation needed to survive in a limited body of water with limited food supply. The longest freshwater shark on record was found in Deep Creek Lake in the western panhandle of Maryland in 1983. It measured 9 feet 4 inches in length and weighed 512 pounds. The only other freshwater shark over 8 feet in length was found in Lake Cumberland, Kentucky in 2001.It was 8 feet 7 inches long and weighed 428 pounds and was thought to be responsible for all 3 shark attacks in that lake that summer.

http://www.drizz.com/freshwater_sharks.htm
Dolphin
Marina/Ramp: lake Cumberland

Re: Fresh Water Sharks In Cumberland?

Post by Dolphin »

The water is to cold for them in the Cumberland, they do not do well !!! :-\
LC addict
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: JRM

Post by LC addict »

I have a hard time beleiving that if a fresh water shark was found in Cumberland that it wouldn't have been public knowledge, I dont miss many lake weekends and havent since the 80's, and I have never heard a mention of a fresh water shark.
My greatest accomplishments call me Mom!
WaterWings
Better Member

Post by WaterWings »

Denmark .....why don't you post this question on LC.com? Lot of "EXPERTS" over there.

Uhhhh you haven't joined the long list of celebrities that have been banished have you?
Its becoming like a badge of honor to be booted out. :p
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

I think what you all heard about was Fresh Water Sharts.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Pinnacle

Post by Pinnacle »

Any "smelt" involved?

Return to “General Forum of Lake Cumberland”