Boating Accident on Herrington Lake tonight 7-2-2010

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Boating Accident on Herrington Lake tonight 7-2-2010

Post by E_ »

Just reported on lex18 news at 11 there are reports of a Boating Accident on Lake Herrington tonight. more details to follow. Nothing on their site yet.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Boating Accident on Herrington Lake tonight 7-2-2010

Post by E_ »

More info
Teen Critical After Being Hit By Boat On Herrington Lake
Posted: Jul 3, 2010 7:22 PM

A 13-year old girl riding a jetski had to be airlifted to UK Hospital after being hit by a boat.

The accident happened around 9:30 Friday night on Herrington Lake in Boyle County. Jail officials tell LEX 18, the driver of the boat, 40-year old Sammy Hackler has been charged with assault, boating under the influence and wanton endangerment.

Officials have not released the girl's name, but say she is in critical condition at UK Hospital.
http://www.lex18.com/news/teen-critical ... gton-lake/
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

That's too bad.... I will add my opinion on this tho, even tho the boat driver was drinking... 9:30 is pretty late to be out on a jet ski, not to mention a 13yr old... Prayers for her swift and total recovery. :(
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Julie and I were thinking the EXACT same thing Katie...
bubbles
Better Member

Post by bubbles »

Sadly I have to agree with katie in this one......! But it is a very sad thing any way around it.
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

Jet ski at 9:30PM, no lights, 13-year old kid? The parents should be held accountable for the accident, also.

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

bubbles wrote:Sadly I have to agree with katie in this one......! But it is a very sad thing any way around it.
Ditto... :(
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

Unfortunetly I would guess that everybody on this forum has been drinking and driving a boat at this hour at one time or another. They did not say what his blood level was. I am a believer that NO ONE should be on a jet ski at dark. Especially a young girl who probably did not think about what could happen. I think there should be some laws put into effect for just this reason. At LC there is no speed limit after dark! This is absolutly insane. We were always amazed to hear a go fast at midnight going full throttle across the lake. OH well, I wish her a fast and total recovery.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Spare Change wrote:Unfortunetly I would guess that everybody on this forum has been drinking and driving a boat at this hour at one time or another.
Ya guessed wrong on this one, Jefferina! And no, neither my hubby nor I are teetotalers. We have always had a rule of no drinking by the owners of the boat until it's docked in its' berth and not going out again! :)

Do agree with everything else you said, much as I hate to admit it! :D ;;)
imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Post by imaposer »

re3too wrote:
Spare Change wrote:Unfortunetly I would guess that everybody on this forum has been drinking and driving a boat at this hour at one time or another.
Ya guessed wrong on this one, Jefferina!

Wrong at least twice. I've only boated after dark on a few occasions, and seeing how I rarely drink at all, I can promise you I've never done it while drinking.
Heck, I haven't taken any alcohol out on the boat with me at all this year.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Looks like it is just you $pare =)) :-$
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Looks like it is just you $pare =)) :-$
Wellllll, I have to admit that I have but it's been quite a while. We now put just a few beers in the cooler and wait til we're back on land. Then imaposer can see me at the pool with a beer in hand.

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

Maybe I should have said many. I have witnessed it to many times and several times have offered some folks a place on the HB to stay. So, after changeing that word, I am back to my original post. #:-s
bubbles
Better Member

Post by bubbles »

spare....i agree with ya. not all, but many, be it on or off this forum have boated after dark having maybe a couple drinks. i don't know if the guy was drunk or not....? suppose he did only have 3 beers all day long and this kid was out on a jet ski, after dark. yes, he is still in the wrong (as any of us would be), but yes....the parents and the kid should also be held accountable for what happened. a watercraft/boat is required to have runnning lights after dusk and i don't really know of any jet skis that do.....?! and further more.,...she is 13 years old. come on people....most grown ups can't drive these things, much less a kid.....a jet ski is NOT a babysitter!
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

bubbles wrote:spare....i agree with ya. not all, but many, be it on or off this forum have boated after dark having maybe a couple drinks. i don't know if the guy was drunk or not....? suppose he did only have 3 beers all day long and this kid was out on a jet ski, after dark. yes, he is still in the wrong (as any of us would be), but yes....the parents and the kid should also be held accountable for what happened. a watercraft/boat is required to have runnning lights after dusk and i don't really know of any jet skis that do.....?! and further more.,...she is 13 years old. come on people....most grown ups can't drive these things, much less a kid.....a jet ski is NOT a babysitter!

:ymapplause:
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

I guess what I was really wanting to say is, who knows how this happened? Maybe she was totally in the wrong. If true that he had only a few beers all day then i feel sorry for him, as his life has just changed for the worse. I truly hope she gets totally healed, but i am affraid that this guy is done for a long time. Very sad situation. I am sorry for both parties. :(
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Don't tell Jefferina, but I get what he's sayin'. It appears there may have been 2 different issues which may have come together in a very unfortunate way. But having said that, if the adult had been drinking and was over the limit, he should be gone! And if the 13 year old was indeed riding at 9:30PM, the adults responsible for her should be nailed as well. Whatever happened, it seems to have been preventable and I pray it has a good outcome. :( :(
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs

Post by Pac22 »

bubbles wrote:spare....i agree with ya. not all, but many, be it on or off this forum have boated after dark having maybe a couple drinks. i don't know if the guy was drunk or not....? suppose he did only have 3 beers all day long and this kid was out on a jet ski, after dark. yes, he is still in the wrong (as any of us would be), but yes....the parents and the kid should also be held accountable for what happened. a watercraft/boat is required to have runnning lights after dusk and i don't really know of any jet skis that do.....?! and further more.,...she is 13 years old. come on people....most grown ups can't drive these things, much less a kid.....a jet ski is NOT a babysitter!

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
I'm going with bubbles, a paramedic, on this one.
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

___ you missed my point. I am saying that this guy is in deep doo doo. If in fact he had 3 beers all day and the girl is at fault, he is the one who will lose his arss. This guy will be prosecuted and because of a few beers, the girl will most likely heal and be fine, not saying that the parents might even sue the dude. I wish them both a recovery.

Return to “General Talk”