Cabins are coming....Cabins are coming.....hide the kids.

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Cabins are coming....Cabins are coming.....hide the kids.

Post by Lock5 »

Looks like ole' Hal has got his bill passed, so Cabins will be coming to Lake Cumberland Marina near you. I have always said that they should be allowed and if the Marina Association could whip up some guidelines to them they should be fine. The barge based Houseboats are perfect if you want to leave the marina and go cove out, but a majority of them are used as cabins now. Why limit what they can look like and the most stupid thing why make them have a motor and outdrive(usually where the leak starts). I would suggest encapsulated floats and galvanized frames as a starting point.
Captain Bob
Better Member

Re: Cabins are coming....Cabins are coming.....hide the kids

Post by Captain Bob »

I wonder how well these "cabins" will be built and whether they will be able to hold up under the conditions they will face on the lake. "Houseboats" are built to USCG codes and are designed to float safely and to "weather" storms and such.
If these "cabins" are built like so many of the new homes these days (2x4's and cheap drywall) or to some local "standards") they will be a maintenance nightmare. Wonder if they will need to be "pulled" out of the lake periodically for maintenance on the bottom?
And then, there is the question of how much will they cost (versus existing houseboats).
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Good points, CB. I have very mixed feelings about them but my opinion is moot anymore.
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

The best thing that could happen would be for the Marina Association to lay down some rules. Frames/Floats ect....... Sq. Footage, because just like the Houseboats someone is going to want to build something outrageous($$ no object). On the opposite side of the fence you are going to have folks trying to go cheap and you will end up with a whole other set of issues.

Getting in front of this stuff BEFORE something happens will be the real test as to what we deal with in 15-20 years. Just like the Houseboats.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

re3too wrote:Good points, CB. I have very mixed feelings about them but my opinion is moot anymore.
Was there a time is wasn't? :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

E_ wrote:
re3too wrote:Good points, CB. I have very mixed feelings about them but my opinion is moot anymore.
Was there a time is wasn't? :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Why don't you gits a job other than harassing me? X(
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)

Return to “General Talk”