This site vs. FB

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

re3too
MASTER MEMBER

This site vs. FB

Post by re3too »

I really wish there were nore posters here. The FB site is littered with too many people who know nothing much about LC. JMHO
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: This site vs. FB

Post by E_ »

It's just fb is so easy. I agree I wish more were here too but in the non computer era we are in today with phone use being the major access point fb gets it. Of course when forums were big you had the same.issue on the forums. ...I was one of those people that knew zero about.Cumberland. until I met you guys. Now I try to pay that forward.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

Sounds like you need to go the APK file route and make a mobile app :D
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Even that is not something Phone people will use much. They will continue to stay on FB and Twitter for a while. They are now more about sharing with friends and that is about it BUT since their friends are all on the same page as our FB group we slip in with them there.

Plus I don't get as much time to maintain the site anymore. If you were a newbie here you would notice many things are automated if you are new where your posts don't appear etc. That way if I go a day or two without seeing the site most is pretty safe.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

...same reason I couldn't manage the parties anymore. I just never know if I will be able to be there or not anymore.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Still prefer a forum to FB! :ymsigh:
No Patience
Marina/Ramp: Grider Hill

Post by No Patience »

re3too wrote:Still prefer a forum to FB! :ymsigh:
I agree, please don't pass out I know you don't hear that very often.
No Patience

Post by No Patience »

At least that other site is not doing much either. I tried to get banned from it and all they did was delete my comment. Of course it was telling people to boycott the site and come to this one. LOL
Captain Bob
Better Member

Post by Captain Bob »

No Patience wrote:
I agree, please don't pass out I know you don't hear that very often.

I, too prefer the "forum" format. Ok, so it's not as easy as FB but, if you are asking for information or trying to share information, the Forum is much better and tou can pretty much be sure of your "audience" and their interests..

I hate it that "Cumberline's Dream" has gone to pot in such a very short time but it's pretty obvious that the "new regime" has shot themselves in the foot and has esentially killed what was a pretty darn good site for Cumberland, Laurel and Dale Hollow boaters. Maybe that would have happened anyway if the previous Mod Team was still there (or still allowed to participate) but maybe, just maybe, the folks who kept it going for over 14 years MIGHT have been able to rescue it yet one more time. We will never know.....
Captain Bob
Better Member

Post by Captain Bob »

No Patience wrote:At least that other site is not doing much either. I tried to get banned from it and all they did was delete my comment. Of course it was telling people to boycott the site and come to this one. LOL
Pretty clear that the "ADMIN" will not allow any "negative" comments that keep him from making lc.com a "revenue-producing" site. I am still banned from over there but several very kind folks are keeping me informed. ;)
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Bob, I really don't believe it could have been revived under that regime. The agenda they wanted left no room or hope, IMHO.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Captain Bob wrote:
No Patience wrote:At least that other site is not doing much either. I tried to get banned from it and all they did was delete my comment. Of course it was telling people to boycott the site and come to this one. LOL
Pretty clear that the "ADMIN" will not allow any "negative" comments that keep him from making lc.com a "revenue-producing" site. I am still banned from over there but several very kind folks are keeping me informed. ;)
From what I've seen, keeping you informed shouldn't take much time. It's dead!
Hacman
I posted something! WooHoo!

Post by Hacman »

That site is totally dead. Havent been here in a while.
No Patience

Post by No Patience »

I will say if we want a forum site this is the one to use. so long as you stay half way civil you can have fun and get information here and pick on RE3. :D
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

No Patience wrote:I will say if we want a forum site this is the one to use. so long as you stay half way civil you can have fun and get information here and pick on RE3. :D
Now ya done went and hurt my feelings. I need cocoa and a safe space! O:-)
No Patience

Post by No Patience »

:D
re3too wrote:
No Patience wrote:I will say if we want a forum site this is the one to use. so long as you stay half way civil you can have fun and get information here and pick on RE3. :D
Now ya done went and hurt my feelings. I need cocoa and a safe space! O:-)
Luv ya!!
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Looks like they've left a spammer for hours! Nobody guarding the henhouse?
Captain Bob
Better Member

Post by Captain Bob »

I see what you mean...HA HA Admin must be taking his Mods out for lunch...
Nobody watching the place...........
I suppose that running a forum is not as easy as the Admin might have thought.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

I didn't do much but I did know how to move a spammer! =))
Fall Creek
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Fall Creek rmap

Post by Fall Creek »

Alright, so I have been busy and when the changeover happened on lc.com I didn't look into it to much. Re3 and captain Bob, would you care to share what went down and why?
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

Let's just say the new management wanted some changes...............and what if I told you the new changes were kinda dumb. Then we can agree that ole' Captain Bob, Marine Assist, RE3 were not in "Lock" step with the new ideas.............hence their absence from the ole' LC dot comer............
Captain Bob
Better Member

Post by Captain Bob »

I can only speak for myself. The facts (as they applied to me) are these:

1) The lc.com site/forum were supposedly bought from Jim Sears by Louis Stargel et.al.. I say supposedly because I understand that there is likely to be some legal action as to whether the original owner [Dave Davenport} ever "sold" it to Jim Sears after Dave died. {I will not comment further but will let that issue take it's due course}
2) Louis ("ADMIN" on the forum) mentioned to me back in November that he was the new owner and he intended to make it profitable and eventually sell it. He asked about getting the mods together so he could meet them. I agreed that it was a good idea so that we could all meet and share our thoughts.
3) Louis invited all the current mods to a lunch meeting at LFM and reiterated his plans. Bim, KyAl98, Weekends and I were at the meeting. WW and RE3 were in Florida. I mentioned in the meeting that the site had never been profitable and there were questions if it ever could be. The owner said that was his intention. I did not disagree that the new owner had the right to do whatever he wanted to do.
4) It was my understanding from the meeting that the new owner would work with the mods before doing anything to change the forum. Either I misunderstood or the owner "misinformed" me (us). Based upon what I understood the new owner told us, any transition would be gradual and we would be "in the loop" so I left the meeting hopeful.
5) Very quickly and without any mention to me (I can't speak for the other mods) I discovered that ADMIN had gone in one night and "slashed and burned' <--my words to him] many if not all posts made by Don Hunter and a few others. Some of my posts also disappeared. ALSO, the "Big Blue Screen" suddenly appeared that required ALL Members to basically agree to an "oath of loyalty" <--my words to ADMIN]. When I asked ADMIN why he did not alert the mods as he had said he would, he told me it was his site and he would run it his way. I told him that he certainly had that right but that his hasty and rather extreme actions would have a negative effect. I personally objected to the big blue screen. He replied that I had two choices. One was to agree with him and support him.
6) The Mods and I had been communicating offline for a few days. I sent IM's to some of the affected Members and explained that I had no prior knowledge of the actions that were taken and that I would not have agreed with them.
7) I subsequently started a thread on the forum (not criticizing ADMIN in any way) but simply to thank all of those who had been Mods over the years for their service. I included all of the names in my notebook. My intention was honorable with no negative intent towards Admin or the other owners. Several Members read that thread and added to it but, in less than 24 hours, a Member alerted me by text that the thread had disappeared (along with several other posts that I had made in the previous few weeks). Owner has the right to do what he wants.
8) Apparently, the ADMIN had access to some of the personal internal notes shared among just the mods because he quickly sent me a note mentioning some of my comments and telling me "his way or the highway".
9) Before I even had a chance to reply to ADMIN (over the private section reserved for mods), I was BANNED and Locked-Out from any access to the lc.com site or the forum by the new owner.
10) Only once have I tried to communicate with ADMIN since my BANNING. I sent him an email trying to explain that, while I personally did not agree with his actions, I could not disagree that he had the right to do whatever he wanted. I told him that I pose no threat to his authority, to him personally or to lc.com or it's forum. While I have never asked to be reinstated, he told me that it was (my) choice (choose his way or highway I suppose). I replied that the choice was "his" -he was the one who banned me. I have not heard from him since.

Subsequently and during all of this, the other members of the "Bunker Team" made their own decisions. I was not involved in any of them. To my knowledge, only 2 of the 6 on the Team accepted the "big blue screen" and are still active mods. It's important to note that ALL of the mods are still shown on the roster.

Those who know me know that I "shoot straight". I am a very detailed person and I keep very good records. I can back up every statement/comment listed above.

I do not wish to be asked about this again. =;
If I am eventually asked to testify in any legal proceedings, I will deal with that accordingly.

By my calculations, over the past 14.5 years I have spent nearly 15,000 hours on the LC.com Forum. Am I disappointed in what has happened? Yes, I am. :(
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Bravo, CB! Well said! :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Unless a person actually was a part of the "behind the scenes" activity, it may be hard to understand how some of the mods felt they had been treated with disdain. Ya'll know I'm a pretty tough ole bird but I truly felt I could not survive the route I felt the site was going to take and certainly not continue as a mod. When I tried to explain why, my post "magically" disappeared. I have felt the sting of drama and high handedness before and was not going to pretend to agree with what was going on. What has happened is sad, unnecessary and over, IMHO... :( :(
Fall Creek
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Fall Creek rmap

Post by Fall Creek »

Captain Bob wrote:I can only speak for myself. The facts (as they applied to me) are these:

1) The lc.com site/forum were supposedly bought from Jim Sears by Louis Stargel et.al.. I say supposedly because I understand that there is likely to be some legal action as to whether the original owner [Dave Davenport} ever "sold" it to Jim Sears after Dave died. {I will not comment further but will let that issue take it's due course}
2) Louis ("ADMIN" on the forum) mentioned to me back in November that he was the new owner and he intended to make it profitable and eventually sell it. He asked about getting the mods together so he could meet them. I agreed that it was a good idea so that we could all meet and share our thoughts.
3) Louis invited all the current mods to a lunch meeting at LFM and reiterated his plans. Bim, KyAl98, Weekends and I were at the meeting. WW and RE3 were in Florida. I mentioned in the meeting that the site had never been profitable and there were questions if it ever could be. The owner said that was his intention. I did not disagree that the new owner had the right to do whatever he wanted to do.
4) It was my understanding from the meeting that the new owner would work with the mods before doing anything to change the forum. Either I misunderstood or the owner "misinformed" me (us). Based upon what I understood the new owner told us, any transition would be gradual and we would be "in the loop" so I left the meeting hopeful.
5) Very quickly and without any mention to me (I can't speak for the other mods) I discovered that ADMIN had gone in one night and "slashed and burned' <--my words to him] many if not all posts made by Don Hunter and a few others. Some of my posts also disappeared. ALSO, the "Big Blue Screen" suddenly appeared that required ALL Members to basically agree to an "oath of loyalty" <--my words to ADMIN]. When I asked ADMIN why he did not alert the mods as he had said he would, he told me it was his site and he would run it his way. I told him that he certainly had that right but that his hasty and rather extreme actions would have a negative effect. I personally objected to the big blue screen. He replied that I had two choices. One was to agree with him and support him.
6) The Mods and I had been communicating offline for a few days. I sent IM's to some of the affected Members and explained that I had no prior knowledge of the actions that were taken and that I would not have agreed with them.
7) I subsequently started a thread on the forum (not criticizing ADMIN in any way) but simply to thank all of those who had been Mods over the years for their service. I included all of the names in my notebook. My intention was honorable with no negative intent towards Admin or the other owners. Several Members read that thread and added to it but, in less than 24 hours, a Member alerted me by text that the thread had disappeared (along with several other posts that I had made in the previous few weeks). Owner has the right to do what he wants.
8) Apparently, the ADMIN had access to some of the personal internal notes shared among just the mods because he quickly sent me a note mentioning some of my comments and telling me "his way or the highway".
9) Before I even had a chance to reply to ADMIN (over the private section reserved for mods), I was BANNED and Locked-Out from any access to the lc.com site or the forum by the new owner.
10) Only once have I tried to communicate with ADMIN since my BANNING. I sent him an email trying to explain that, while I personally did not agree with his actions, I could not disagree that he had the right to do whatever he wanted. I told him that I pose no threat to his authority, to him personally or to lc.com or it's forum. While I have never asked to be reinstated, he told me that it was (my) choice (choose his way or highway I suppose). I replied that the choice was "his" -he was the one who banned me. I have not heard from him since.

Subsequently and during all of this, the other members of the "Bunker Team" made their own decisions. I was not involved in any of them. To my knowledge, only 2 of the 6 on the Team accepted the "big blue screen" and are still active mods. It's important to note that ALL of the mods are still shown on the roster.

Those who know me know that I "shoot straight". I am a very detailed person and I keep very good records. I can back up every statement/comment listed above.

I do not wish to be asked about this again. =;
If I am eventually asked to testify in any legal proceedings, I will deal with that accordingly.

By my calculations, over the past 14.5 years I have spent nearly 15,000 hours on the LC.com Forum. Am I disappointed in what has happened? Yes, I am. :(

Captain Bob, Thank you for taking the time to fill us all in. I can understand your frustration and I am truly disappointed that LC.com will now die. It was great people like yourself, WW, Marine Assist, re3 and so many more that made that site what it was. From a younger generation I want to thank you for all the time you guys put in and I can't tell you all the things I learned from all of you over the years!

can y'all imagine what cumberline would be saying right now!!
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Well, today would have been 11 years since my first post on LC.com...

Oh well. As long as they are being weird and have the stupid thing to accept I guess I am no loss anyway. lol

"LC.com First post 1:42 PM ET E_HILLMAN Master Member -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posts: 2285 Registered: 3-23-2006 Location: North Central KY (Leesburg) Member Is Offline Mood: If its gonna be cold it just as well snow posted on 3-23-2006 at 01:42 PM Last spring (Spring of 05) our boat was brought to my mother-in-law's hourse in Green Meadows by Alton Blakely and I came by later that evening to hitch up to it and I found the radio, battery charger, radio cover, life jackets, car starter/batter ___ etc.etc.etc. That is the first time I have had something like that happen to me and it still to this day feels awful. Still don't know if it happed at Alton Blakely, where they had some gel coat work, or if it was at her house but now I take it back to my house every time even though her house is only about 2 miles from Waitsboro where we had been putting in... "
TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER
Marina/Ramp: Burnt Store Marina Florida

Post by TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER »

Don't feel too bad E, it isn't like LC.com is rockin' or anything! I believe that one is all but done, after they P'd off the ones that had been there for years!
Attachments
IMG_2251.jpg
IMG_2251.jpg (696.94 KiB) Viewed 15807 times
MY BABY WAS BOTTLE FED, IS YOURS???
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Wow!
Captain Bob
Better Member

Post by Captain Bob »

I agree.
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

I agree. Tried FB, then deleted account.
Pinnacle

Post by Pinnacle »

TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER wrote:Don't feel too bad E, it isn't like LC.com is rockin' or anything! I believe that one is all but done, after they P'd off the ones that had been there for years!
Interesting. They must have read your post. Now it looks like there are more posts per day, but it is because they are showing each individual post instead of one thread for each topic responded to. I guess when it gets worse, they will show individual words as a new post, just to inflate the count. =))
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Lol
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Pinnacle wrote:
TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER wrote:Don't feel too bad E, it isn't like LC.com is rockin' or anything! I believe that one is all but done, after they P'd off the ones that had been there for years!
Interesting. They must have read your post. Now it looks like there are more posts per day, but it is because they are showing each individual post instead of one thread for each topic responded to. I guess when it gets worse, they will show individual words as a new post, just to inflate the count. =))
When I think back to how hard the admins and mods worked to keep it running..... :ymsigh:
Captain Bob
Better Member

Post by Captain Bob »

They don't like me or want me around. This is what I get on my screen when I try to access lc.com:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /forum/forum/8-general-discussion/ on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Of course, if I was clever enough I'd probably be logging in, participating, editing, etc.. They still have no idea.... ;) ;) :))
Rob V. isn't the only one who knows the secrets..... :AR!
Pinnacle

Post by Pinnacle »

Captain Bob wrote:They don't like me or want me around. This is what I get on my screen when I try to access lc.com:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /forum/forum/8-general-discussion/ on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Of course, if I was clever enough I'd probably be logging in, participating, editing, etc.. They still have no idea.... ;) ;) :))
Rob V. isn't the only one who knows the secrets..... :AR!
Captain Bob, I think they must have changed the software because I don't have to log in to view most everything, can even view "todays posts". (I can't log in anymore anyway- not a member anymore, haven't been for a long time, remember? ;) ). Just delete your browser history and then go there as a guest.
Captain Bob
Better Member

Post by Captain Bob »

Thanks, Pinnacle. (yes I remember -a long time ago) :ymblushing:

The net of it is this: The new owner and I had different ideas about the Forum. He wanted to make money from it and I told him that, in 14+ years, several ideas had been explored but it was unlikely to ever "make money". It was meant as a Social Forum for folks to share information freely. Then he said he wanted "to build it up" --and sell it. I tried to explain the error but overnight he gave me the axe -without warning.
In addition to banning me (and some of my aliases), he banned my home IP address <the reason for the above message>. I'm sure that he would have liked to delete all of my 14+ years of posts but, if he did that, it would significantly impact the usage numbers and would have left a lot of strange "holes" in threads. He (or someone else) has edited a number of my posts.
Yeah, I can log-in (not as CB) whenever I want but it's just not the same Forum.. Breaks my heart to see what one person has done to destroy almost 15 years of important history. :(
Pinnacle

Post by Pinnacle »

Yes Captain, I hear you. I know the history of the other forum, and of course what happened to you. It just was not the same for me after Cumberline died, and of course I was banned like a lot of others by the "forum gods" (and with that I did not particularly care if deleting my posts left any holes in any thread, I rather desired it :ymdevil: . But there were times that I wanted to check out a particular thread about something important (nothing important being posted now). So I found that my banned IP address could be changed by simply shutting off my cable modem for more than 24 hours (or a weekend at the lake), which would release the previous IP address and I would get a new one when I turned it back on. Then, presto, my address was not banned anymore. But some poor bastard who picked up my old address would have problems accessing the site :D . Not sure if you use cable still, but it could be an option. I sometimes find that I want to view some posts there that I hear about on this forum, such as when the new ownership came in and really screwed it up...
Captain Bob
Better Member

Post by Captain Bob »

Pinnacle, my respect for your technical skills (and cleverness) has always been high.

Sure hope that "they" are not reading this thread and taking notes.... =))
Captain Bob
Better Member

Post by Captain Bob »

Pinnacle wrote:

Those are not the only numbers that have been "manipulated" (in order to try to make the site salable). For example, they show that lc.com has over 4000 "members". I can prove (in court, if subpoenaed) that it never had that many. Just before I was banned, I used Admin tools to determine there were less than 300 who had logged-in the previous 6 months and only 172 who had posted. New owner did not want to hear that.

Cumberline set his Forum up in a similar mindset as "E" used to set up Lakecumberlandboaters.com. It's not about the numbers, it's about friendships and shared information.

Thank you, "E" for all that you and your team do to keep this Forum running ..and for allowing this discussion to be posted. We all owe you a debt of gratitude.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Nope, I owe all of you that welcomed me there. It's why we have this little hangout here. Truly I was just trying to replace what Spare started at Boating Today TV and keep the chatter off the other site . But as long as I can afford the bill this one will be here. I would love a volunteer to update it as I just never have the time anymore.
Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

well holy hell...I fall off the face of the earth and that other site is communized. I really hate to hear that the new lackey,I mean owner, is such a blind eel.
Pinnacle

Post by Pinnacle »

Captain Bob wrote:Pinnacle, my respect for your technical skills (and cleverness) has always been high.

Sure hope that "they" are not reading this thread and taking notes.... =))
Maybe they have! I tried to look at something there and all I get is a screen full of junk and a server error. :-*

Return to “General Talk”