For what it's worth....

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

re3too
MASTER MEMBER

For what it's worth....

Post by re3too »

Been sitting here in FL reading about and looking at all the marina damage...so sad. We kept a 30' SeaRay Sedan Bridge at Grider Hill for 20+ years. We were among the first in that newly built boathouse. It was the tallest one at the time and we couldn't come in with our bimini up...had about six" clearance on top. As long as Tony owned the marina, the roofs were cleared whenever it snowed and the last doozy I remember was in 1996 when the governor shut down the state! We suffered no damage. Fast forward and you have taller slips with less support, old slips that have not been well maintained, old slips with foam flotation that has been breeched over a period of 30+ years and marina owners who are not as involved as in the past. The marinas that suffered the least damage are SD, Conley and Sunset where the owners, year around, are more proactive in maintenance. The ones with the most damage are either very old or corporately run. I really think the time has come to rethink the building of these places. There are always risks but there are also ways to mitigate those risks. JMHO.... :ymsigh: :(
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
crwky

Re: For what it's worth....

Post by crwky »

RE3 what part of FL do you winter in?
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

crwky wrote:RE3 what part of FL do you winter in?
We are now full-time residents. We are just outside Ruskin....just across Tampa Bay from St. Petersburg.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Exactly, it was obvious who had more local vested stake in their Marina...

...welll except for LFM. :-/
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

That one is in a class all his own...
crwky

Post by crwky »

I was just wondering we bought a place in Venice this summer and everyone there is 60+ just got me thinking you may be in the area. Turns out I was not far off. Lol

I will be headed down with customers next Sunday for a little fishing and golf. Much needed break from the white death we have here.
Pop-O
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: State Dock/Punkin Creek

Post by Pop-O »

Good to have the Marina owners around, but as I understand, State Dock and WCM are in talks to sell to a business in Texas. Wonder if they were waiting for the Wet-Dry election to get settled? Then there is slip rental coming due in April. :-\
I have taken the road least traveled................and now I am freakin LOST !

Return to “General Talk”