Home building advice

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Home building advice

Post by E_ »

I would like some rural home building advice from anyone that:

* Has recently purchased rural land and selected a builder, a home plan, and had a home built with septic etc. on a blank rural lot.
* Builds or works in the residential home building industry.

Would love recommendations on affordable brick home builders in the central KY area.
A list of items to check when selecting a builder and what to watch out for. (what is and isn't normally included)
Other tips of wisdom from those who have experienced this...

...this is all research for a friend of course..... ;)
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Re: Home building advice

Post by Lock5 »

It has been several years since I have been in G-town, but if Rob Vandergrift is still building houses over there check into to him.

Looks like he is.

http://r-vandegrift-construction.george ... nstruction
Fall Creek
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Fall Creek rmap

Post by Fall Creek »

1. No matter what they say! no matter what the reason given! DO NOT put in a sump pump that brings outside footer tile water into your basement!

I purchased my house in 2004. at the time it was 6 yrs old built in a field just outside of town. It sat on the market for almost 2 yrs before I bought it because every time it would rain the basement would get water in it. Long story short the idiots that built it didn't seal off all the field tiles that in the ground before backfilling. Not usually a super huge deal until they forget the one that is hooked to a 12" main and is the overflow for the closest street and my neighbors pond! needless to say i have gone swimming in my basement!

There is just no logical reason to bring outside water into your home! have them put in an outside sump pit!

2. stay away from Stucco! Although it has a nice contrast to brick and usually looks very nice, it is very high maintenance! if you do not watch all the seams they will take on water and start to mold inside your walls!

3. Have a wife who is able to make decisions!!!! :D
Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

I will agree and disagree with the stucko or eifs as its refered to...if it is applied properly there will be no problems ever..problem is when one corner gets cut the system fails..and they are expensive...i beleive dryvit is the only system that offers a lengthy warranty...
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

This property will be on a hilltop with proper drainage around a continuous poured basement. They do offer a sump pump inside the basement in a corner "closet" area just in case but the builders reviewed thus far all offer at least a 10 year warranty on the water tightness...
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.

Return to “General Talk”