OuterLimits blow over @ LOTO 2014 (resulting in casualty)

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER
Marina/Ramp: Burnt Store Marina Florida

OuterLimits blow over @ LOTO 2014 (resulting in casualty)

Post by TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER »

MY BABY WAS BOTTLE FED, IS YOURS???
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: OuterLimits blow over @ LOTO 2014

Post by E_ »

Definitely a wild ride. Equally wild how it came right side up. They need to put flaps on these water born aircraft.

2014 Shootout Outerlimits flip over: http://youtu.be/9LuxLHigV90

Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

Rumor is he was only doing about 150 when it went over, I'm thinking driver error.........

Supposedly it was a brand new boat, that might have something to do with it also.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: OuterLimits blow over @ LOTO 2014 (resulting in casualt

Post by E_ »

Fiore.PNG
Fiore.PNG (29.26 KiB) Viewed 6138 times
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Another needless loss and another young family left to grieve..... :(
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Could have happened driving down the road.
TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER

E_ wrote:Could have happened driving down the road.
Yep...
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

But that wasn't the case, was it? I KNOW anyone can die at ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, doing ANYTHING! Sheesh! I'm not stupid! My point is....1) married with children 2) CHOSE doing something dangerous HE liked to do without regard for his God-given life or his family. IMHO (TO WHICH I AM ENTITLED), a persons' priorities are 1) God 2) Family 3) Self. And that's all I have to say about that.....
Islander_212
Marina/Ramp: State Dock / Caney Fork

Post by Islander_212 »

Lock5 wrote:Rumor is he was only doing about 150 when it went over, I'm thinking driver error.........

Supposedly it was a brand new boat, that might have something to do with it also.
According to several friends that were there he was doing about 179 at the time and there was a stiff cross wind near the finish line as the winds swirled around the end of the cliff where the radar gun is stationed. Wind is believed to be a factor according the investigation going on as well. They were in an enclosed cockpit with harnesses and helmets. Supposedly Mike came out of the harness and his helmet came off as well. That would have indicated a very high G stop as it did land flat on it's top and rolled back over.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Some would say driving a car is too dangerous. Some say hiking the mountains is too dangerous. To each their own. That freedom is what brings many closer to God. I have no doubt he felt what he was doing was safe. Harnesses, cockpit, helmets. He felt he was going to be there for his family. You are more likely to die near your home.

Hopefully his death is honored with innovation for safety not more legislation and limits on freedom or judgements that he was "selfish"
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

re3too wrote:
But that wasn't the case, was it? I KNOW anyone can die at ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, doing ANYTHING! Sheesh! I'm not stupid! My point is....1) married with children 2) CHOSE doing something dangerous HE liked to do without regard for his God-given life or his family. IMHO (TO WHICH I AM ENTITLED), a persons' priorities are 1) God 2) Family 3) Self. And that's all I have to say about that.....
I repeat..... :ymsigh: :ymsigh:
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I know, I know you care and love us and don't like seeing this stuff happen.

Neither do I but I also understand it.
TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER

E_ wrote:I know, I know you care and love us and don't like seeing this stuff happen.

Yep... He'll never suffer from cancer, die a slow and long death. Yes, he will miss out on things, but he did die doing what he loved, & it did support his family... very well.
I'm sure there will be no life insurance policy paid but hopefully the company will support them...
No Patience
Marina/Ramp: Grider Hill

Post by No Patience »

E_ wrote:I know, I know you care and love us and don't like seeing this stuff happen.

What I don't understand is why they keep designing boats like that whith that kind of speed, when they are not stable at those speeds. How many of these boats have flipped in the last several years? There has to be some common sense at some point. Yes I love Poker Run, but we do not need boats on Cumberland doing 150 plus. sorry guys just the way I feel.
Jaybird
Better Member

Post by Jaybird »

It's a fact of life. We more mature people reach a point in their life when we come to the realization that "WTH, I can get hurt or killed doing this crap". But some of us had feeling of infallibility surviving the Marines, flying down the newly built I-75 approaching 150 mph, or back in the day going through the 1/4 mile lights at a blazing 120. Not everyone did it. Some just had to experience it. And most probably survived it.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Jaybird wrote:It's a fact of life. We more mature people reach a point in their life when we come to the realization that "WTH, I can get hurt or killed doing this crap". But some of us had feeling of infallibility surviving the Marines, flying down the newly built I-75 approaching 150 mph, or back in the day going through the 1/4 mile lights at a blazing 120. Not everyone did it. Some just had to experience it. And most probably survived it.
Guess I must have been born old....I have had this strong sense of the sanctity of life long before I became more "mature". I have never understood why one would deliberately put themselves in harms way just for the thrill of it. There are enough dangerous situations in life over which we have little control so I don't get why one would CHOOSE danger....JMHO!
TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER

re3too wrote:
Jaybird wrote:It's a fact of life. We more mature people reach a point in their life when we come to the realization that "WTH, I can get hurt or killed doing this crap". But some of us had feeling of infallibility surviving the Marines, flying down the newly built I-75 approaching 150 mph, or back in the day going through the 1/4 mile lights at a blazing 120. Not everyone did it. Some just had to experience it. And most probably survived it.
Guess I must have been born old....I have had this strong sense of the sanctity of life long before I became more "mature". I have never understood why one would deliberately put themselves in harms way just for the thrill of it. There are enough dangerous situations in life over which we have little control so I don't get why one would CHOOSE danger....JMHO!
You are simply born with it, used to run around the house making race car sounds while in diapers, was making homemade ramps and jumpimg what ever I could on my bicycle in elementary school, riding crazier on my dirt bike in middle school, then racing boats before I was 16, THE ROOSTER was the one to beat in Wolfe Creek for over 25 years. It;s simply a rush to be on the edge, I took every safety measure possible had several close calls but I'd drive one of those CATS in a heartbeat because the ones that do this have to have a feel that it won't happen to them...
AND the chicks dig it... =)) =)) =))
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Guess I was never a "chick" either! :-?
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

I understand both sides of this debate...

On one hand, you only get one chance at life and who am I to keep you from your total fulfillment, regardless of what that is. I am sure she married him & had children with him knowing full well what his pleasures & thrills were. This is not to say that I think it was right to bring children into the picture when you KNOW this is your lifestyle and it could be snuffed out anytime, because of a choice you made.

On the other hand, maybe he thought he would grow out of it, and just never did...

I don't think this compares to the old "standard", it can happen on the road anyday response always dished out by guys. JMO :)
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER

katie wrote: I don't think this compares to the old "standard", it can happen on the road anyday response always dished out by guys. JMO :)
Totally respect all of your opinions, but I would feel much safer in that very boat that flipped than an airplane any day of the week. And statistics would prove E's statement to be very true, " dying 10 miles from your house or less" in a vehicle. I've gone from boats back to cars now, and am running 120mph. in a 1/8 mile and feel as safe or safer than driving home.
it's the "pin you back in the seat, the noise & smell of the race fuel", I just love!!!
JLA

Post by JLA »

I still want to go 120.......minutes of nap time!! :D But that's just me.
Some days I'm the baby, some days I'm the diaper........

Return to “General Talk”