Giant hole in Siberia

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Giant hole in Siberia

Post by E_ »

This this for real?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 1NK3WU-jmw

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/07 ... s-baffled/
A Giant, Mysterious Hole Has Opened up at the ‘End of the World’ in Siberia — and It’s Left Scientists Baffled

Jul. 18, 2014 2:37am Oliver Darcy

A helicopter spotted a large mysterious hole in Siberia Tuesday — and it’s left scientists largely perplexed thus far.

A massive hole has opened up at the "end of the world" and baffled scientists. (Image source: Screen grab via YouTube)
A massive hole has opened up at the “end of the world” and baffled scientists. (Image source: Screen grab via YouTube)

The massive hole, about 260 feet wide, is located in the Yamal peninsula and can easily fit several helicopters inside the entrance, according to the U.K.’s Independent. It is believed to be about two years old, RT.com reported.

The area’s name, Yamal, translates to “end of the world” and is home to some of Russia’s largest gas reserves.
Initial speculation suggested it may have ben caused by a meteorite, but that has since been ruled out, the Independent reported.

Instead, the edge of the hole reportedly points to a possible past explosion. That theory, however, has not been confirmed by scientists who are currently collecting soil, air and water samples at the site.

A massive hole has opened up at the "end of the world" and baffled scientists. (Image source: Screen grab via YouTube)
A massive hole has opened up at the “end of the world” and baffled scientists. (Image source: Screen grab via YouTube)

The Sub-Arctic Scientific Research Centre’s Anna Kurchatova told the Siberian Times that global warming could be to blame.

She thinks the hole was formed by a mixture of water, salt and gas triggering an underground explosion.

Kurchatova thinks the gas had been stored in the ice beneath the surface and ignited when climate change forced the melting of permafrost, causing an explosion “like popping a champagne bottle.”

Did someone tear the earth a new @$$hole?
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Re: Giant hole in Siberia

Post by katie »

8-| @-)
The Sub-Arctic Scientific Research Centre’s Anna Kurchatova told the Siberian Times that global warming could be to blame.

Kurchatova thinks the gas had been stored in the ice beneath the surface and ignited when climate change forced the melting of permafrost, causing an explosion “like popping a champagne bottle.”
:-B L-)

Did someone tear the earth a new @$$hole?
=)) =)) =)) =)) =))
I think that's it!!!! :D
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
JLA

Post by JLA »

Problem solved! What's next?
Some days I'm the baby, some days I'm the diaper........
Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

So is it safe to say this is a global warming glory hole...
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Lol
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

Nebrios wrote:So is it safe to say this is a global warming glory hole...

=)) =)) =)) bubbly included! ;)
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)

Return to “General Talk”