Kentucky bourbon helping find a cure to ALS

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Neat, but not what you would think by the article title. This is about Parker Beam and them raising money for ALS research...

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... d-cure-ALS

Jul. 20, 2013 |

Kentucky bourbon / Copyright 2005 The Courier-Journal

Written by

Mark Keierleber

The Courier-Journal
Seven parts straight Kentucky bourbon — a one-time blend that could help find a cure to a deadly disease affecting 30,000 Americans.

Bardstown-based Heaven Hill Distilleries, the world’s second-largest bourbon holder, is partnering with six area distilleries to mix up a concoction of distilled spirits to raise funds for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis research. Parker Beam, Heaven Hill master distiller emeritus, was diagnosed in February with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.

Doctors at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., told Beam there is no way of predicting exactly what medical problems he may face because the disease affects people differently, according to the ALS Association.

ALS causes degeneration in the brain and spinal cord, according to the ALS Association. Painless weakness in an arm or leg is a common first symptom, and difficulty with speech, swallowing or walking are also symptoms. The life expectancy for those living with the disease is 2 to 5 years from the first diagnoses.

Stirred in with Heaven Hill Bourbon will be spirits from Wild Turkey, Four Roses, Woodford Reserve, Maker’s Mark, Buffalo Trace and Jim Beam, and will be dubbed “Master Distillers’ Unity,” a first for Kentucky’s largest distillers. The bourbon is unfiltered at 100 proof.

The blend won’t be sold in packaged liquor stores. A crystal two-bottle set will be sold Oct. 13 at the Bonhams Whisky, Cognac and Rare Spirits auction in New York City, according to a Heaven Hill press release. Proceeds from the auction will be donated to the Parker Beam Promise of Hope Fund, established to raise money for research and patient care by the ALS Association honoring Parker, who is the sixth-generation master distiller of Bourbon brands Evan Williams, Elijah Craig and Larceny.

Master Distiller Harlen Wheatley at Buffalo Trace, a Frankfort-based distillery, said he expects the concoction’s complexion to be “outstanding.”

Wheatley, who said he has known Beam and his son Craig Beam for decades, said it was important for Buffalo Trace to show their support of Beam and participate in the project.

“Lou Gehrig’s is a devastating disease, and we support Parker and our friends at Heaven Hill in raising funds for research,” he said.

Although the limited Master Distillers’ Unity will not be available for purchase in retail stores, bourbon enthusiasts can make a toast to ALS research in the fall. Heaven Hill announced earlier this year the sale of Parker’s Heritage Collection Bourbon, an annual release of rare American Whiskeys now in its seventh edition, will also help fund ALS research, according to a press release.

Heaven Hill and beam plan to dedicate the coming fall edition of Parker’s Heritage collection, a limited annual release of rare American Whiskeys, to a fund-raising campaign with the ALS Association. Heaven Hill will be donating $20 for every special-edition bottle sold to the Parker Beam Promise of Hope Fund, with a goal of raising $250,000.

“We hope that others will become more aware of ALS and will find additional ways to help us in our fight,” Beam said in the release.

Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Kentucky bourbon helping find a cure to ALS

Post by E_ »

http://www.wave3.com/story/23130115/bou ... -distiller

Click for video http://www.wave3.com/story/23130115/bou ... Id=9196668

Bourbon blend honors master distiller
Posted: Aug 13, 2013 10:40 PM EDT Updated: Aug 14, 2013 12:04 AM EDT

Parker followed in his Father's footsteps, and now it's his name that's on the grand tasting barrel at the Heaven Hill tasting center.Parker followed in his Father's footsteps, and now it's his name that's on the grand tasting barrel at the Heaven Hill tasting center.

Craig and Parker BeamCraig and Parker Beam

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - This is Bourbon country. And it turns out there's a long friendship between the brands. So when a friend needs help, they put competition aside and pour out a lot of love. All for Heaven Hill Master Distiller Parker Beam.

Parker Beam says making bourbon is his destiny. Especially since that's his last name.

Parker's Grandfather, was the brother of legendary Jim Beam. And Parker's Dad Earl was Master Distiller at Heaven Hill. He's been running around Heaven Hill since he could walk.

Parker followed in his Father's footsteps, and now it's his name that's on the grand tasting barrel at the Heaven Hill tasting center.

"That was when I'd been here for 50 years," Beam said. "Seems like snap me a finger."

Two-and-a-half years ago came something unexpected. The now 71-year-old Parker was diagnosed with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, a debilitating condition for which there is no cure.

"I said we'll go as long as you can, try to beat it if you can," Parker said.

His son Craig is also a master distiller at Heaven Hill and often by his side. These days he's helping his Father with things he used to do effortlessly. He says his Father is his mentor, his beat friend, and it pains him to see his hero, struggle.

"See him going down a little bit all the time," Craig said. "Always worried in the back of my mind if fall or hurt himself."

But Parker's slogan is carry on.

He still works every single day, meeting people who love his bourbon, his family's legacy.

And now, in an unusual and generous act, Parker was given bourbon from six area distilleries. They are now mixed together in equal parts to create an extremely limited bourbon, only two bottles. That will be auctioned off in October to raise money to help in the fight against ALS. It's the first time this has ever been done.

"Most industries you don't find that cooperation," Parker said.

Parker's not one to give much thought to not being around. He's too busy.

"My theory is the day I die I hope it's late in the afternoon so I can get a lot done in the afternoon," Parker said. "That's the way I see it."
No Patience
Marina/Ramp: Grider Hill

Post by No Patience »

It is a very hard disease to go through, there is so little that can be done to slow the progression. A very good friend of mine's son just died from ALS. The demands that it puts on the family is overwelming.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Return to “General Talk”