New computer

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: old Alli-1

New computer

Post by Nervous Wreck »

Okay, I'm going to break down and get me a new "cheap" computer.

Operating system?
Memory? (home use)
Make?

Appreciate any replies as I'm pretty much not computer savy.
My Dell is about 13 years old now, and I don't have any more hair to pull out, it's so dang slow! X(

THANKS
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: New computer

Post by E_ »

13 years is a good run!

What do you want to use it for?
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

http://Www.microcenter.com
Find the one that is closest to you and take a visit...just a lil advice. Whatever you end up buying ,max it out on ram. I dont know how tech savvy you are,but they will answer all questions you have . Unlike best buys geek squad.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

Ipad, i will never go back for home use. I have the Laptop if I need to do any extensive typing.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Depends on what he needs to do lock. ;) Still waiting for that answer :p
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

For a desktop I bought a HP TouchSmart 520 a year or so ago. and I've been pretty happy with it. Can't tell you RAM and processor specs now, but it serves my needs. What I like most about it is it's an "all-in-one" design. PC, monitor, DVD etc all in one piece so I only have one cord and that's the power cord. It's all wireless including keyboard, mouse and printing so the mess of wires behind the desk is gone.
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: old Alli-1

Post by Nervous Wreck »

OK y'all, like I said, I'm no computer 'wizard' by NO means! :D

I've got kids in CA. and FL., a sister in Japan so I do the FB thing. (and e-mail of course)
I check the major news gurus each morning and do a little web searching for 'whatever'.
I've got a printer in case I need it, and that about wraps it up.

I now use Outlook Express, but my son says that won't work on new computers?
I just hate "CHANGE" iffin you know what I mean.

I was looking at a Gateway at Wally World that has 4 gigs of ram and a 500 meg hard drive.
I think it said a dual processor. (whatever the he!! that is) lol

Sooo, does this help what I need it for? Thanks a bunch!
Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

if money is no object...have at it... http://www.microcenter.com/product/3948 ... p_Computer

and on the other end of the spectrum... http://www.microcenter.com/product/4026 ... p_Computer

I prefer total custom.... starting with a solid state hard drive for the operating system and a standard hi capacity hardrive for file storage...The solid state is almost instantaneous boot up....max out the ram per your motherboard...find a suitable graphics card for your use...and operating system for your needs...same goes for sound card...some software to combat deep packet installation from your ever loving government.. don't buy into the antivirus gimmick ....all the well known ones hog up your pc performance...plus they are just a playground for hackers to test their skills..
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Nervous, IMO if that is all you use it for and you are not designing anything on it or doing major database queries just get what PC or Laptop looks good to you and get a EXCELLENT service plan.

Truly I think it might be time for you to move to a laptop. You can still hook it up to your keyboard, mouse, and monitor if you so choose and sit at your desk. You can also take it with you or sit in the Den and use it while you watch TV.

Lenovo has some of the best laptops if you pick the ones that are on the old IBM Thinkpad Frames. (most have the center tippoint mouse that sits in the middle of the keyboard that is a inverted rubber piece sticking up)
If you do go with a laptop and don't mind they extra $$ a solid state drive is indeed as Nebrois pointed out are much more stable and speedy.

But really you could just get something like this http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15r-5521/pd put Windows 7 on it to stay closer to the version you are used to instead of going to 8 and after you get accustomed to that version of windows I think you will be happy for some time.

I don't know if you would be happy with just a pad, like a Ipad or other windows based pads. I for now would steer you away from them. HHGregg right now has a cheap one at $69 so that would be a easy way to see what they are about.

I don't like HP but even this might not hurt. lol http://www.walmart.com/ip/Back-to-Colle ... r/10966053 except for Win 8. ...don't really know you would be happy with that until they patch the start menu back in.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

iPad is the answer to your needs........... E-mails, FB, Chat, Internet cruising........ End of story.
DMS

Post by DMS »

kdfwr911 wrote:For a desktop I bought a HP TouchSmart 520 a year or so ago. and I've been pretty happy with it. Can't tell you RAM and processor specs now, but it serves my needs. What I like most about it is it's an "all-in-one" design. PC, monitor, DVD etc all in one piece so I only have one cord and that's the power cord. It's all wireless including keyboard, mouse and printing so the mess of wires behind the desk is gone.
I also have the all-in-one. Love it, no issues...except it likes to look at "those :-$ " sites every now and again.
Jaybird
Better Member

Post by Jaybird »

Personal preference and experience is to buy a real computer. Get a small laptop with as much ram and storage available while trying to stay as reasonable as possible. Ditch outlook express and go to Microsoft Office Outlook. If you are accustom to desktop or laptop you may feel a tablet device has limitations. That was my experience. All you going to do do is check forums , butt book, emails? Just get a good smart phone with a nice big screen like a Samsung Galaxy.

Return to “General Talk”