July 4th weather and lake conditions

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

MarineAssist
Better Member

July 4th weather and lake conditions

Post by MarineAssist »

Let's talk about the July 4th holiday, weather and lake conditions.

This coming late week and weekend are historically about the busiest we will see on the lake. This year, the weather is going to be rainy leading up to the weekend... really rainy... like 3" of rain over the next couple days and flash flood watches over the eastern portions of the lake area watershed.

What does that mean to boaters? It means you will be boating on a lake with a rising level through the period. I expect the lake will probably rise about 4-5 feet in elevation. There will be the potential for driftwood to again float off the banks and be pushed down the rivers that feed the lake. I expect this will affect the eastern boaters (Fishing Creek and upstream up the Big South Fork and Cumberland Rivers) more than the western end of the lake. This can be a concern for this particular weekend because of the expected amount of night time boating that will inevitably happen, due to the fireworks shows.

When boating at night you should:
Keep interior lighting in your boat to a bare minimum
Do not turn on external lighting like houseboat porch lights or those blasted LED's everyone seems to have.
Travel at a safe speed, based on conditions.
Use a spotlight only every few minutes to check the path ahead and do not leave it on continuously.
The captain stays sober, period.

By keeping your speed down, lights low and keeping sober, you will have decent night adjusted vision to see debris in the water, be traveling slow enough to avoid it and be sober enough react in time.

Have a fun 4th of July and always know we will be there if you need us.
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: old Alli-1

Re: July 4th weather and lake conditions

Post by Nervous Wreck »

Thanks Don. Sure don't like the sound of all the rain!

Today
Jul 3
80°F
66°F
Scattered T-Storms
Chance of rain:
40%Wind:
S at 6 mph DetailsThu

Jul 4
74°
68°
Heavy T-Storms
Full Fourth of July Forecast Chance of rain:
100%Wind:
ESE at 8 mph DetailsFri

Jul 5
78°
67°
T-Storms
Potential for heavy rainfall
Chance of rain:
80%Wind:
S at 9 mph DetailsSat

Jul 6
78°
67°
Scattered T-Storms
Chance of rain:
40%Wind:
S at 7 mph DetailsSun

Jul 7
80°
68°
Scattered T-Storms
Chance of rain:
40%Wind:
S at 8 mph Details
Last edited by Nervous Wreck on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Yep the forecast is really dampening my PTO plans. :(
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Nervous Wreck »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Yep the forecast is really dampening my PTO plans. :(
I don't think I want to hang out in all that!
Heck, we are talking all 4 days! :(
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Yep, radar etc. on our lil KY weather page http://lakecumberlandboaters.com/forum/ ... =29&t=3488 is already lighting up and it doesn't look good.

I checked http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/montic ... 3301?day=2 as it normally is pretty spot on for the lake area as well as http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/jamest ... 3359?day=2 and they try to say a couple thunderstorms in the day and a couple at night. ....THAT would not really bother me and they even show some sun behind the storms but I just don't know if the gamble is worth it or not. PLUS, the uncertainty of knowing where to cove since the current system has been throwing wind blowing from the south and east because of counterclockwise rotation but the one moving in is clockwise so at some point the winds most likely will shift. My guess is at some point the storm will be coming from one direction while the ground wind comes from another. I keep hoping the forecast will change but all that stuff down in Georgia is certainly headed somewhere and with a low moving away to the north west and that low sitting there with no high in between I guess its just sucking it right to us. :(
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

http://www.lex18.com/pages/weather-alerts/?id=16026
from the National Weather ServiceCounties: Bath, KY;Breathitt, KY;Clay, KY;Estill, KY;Fleming, KY;Jackson, KY;Knott, KY;Knox, KY;Laurel, KY;Lee, KY;Leslie, KY;Magoffin, KY;McCreary, KY;Menifee, KY;Montgomery, KY;Morgan, KY;Owsley, KY;Perry, KY;Powell, KY;Pulaski, KY;Rockcastle, KY;Rowan, KY;Wayne, KY;Whitley, KY;Wolfe, KY
Effective: Wed July 3, 2013 7:23 AM
Expires: Sat July 6, 2013 4:00 AM
Description: ...INCREASING THREAT FOR FLASH FLOODING LATER TODAY THROUGH AT LEAST FRIDAY... .A STALLED FRONTAL BOUNDARY COMBINED WITH PASSING UPPER LEVEL DISTURBANCES WILL CONTINUE TO CAUSE PERIODIC SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS OVER EAST KENTUCKY OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS. INCREASING ATMOSPHERIC MOISTURE WILL ENHANCE THE ABILITY OF THESE SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS TO PRODUCE HEAVY RAINFALL...AND POTENTIALLY FLASH FLOODING. ...FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT FROM THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN JACKSON HAS ISSUED A * FLASH FLOOD WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF EAST CENTRAL KENTUCKY... NORTHEAST KENTUCKY...SOUTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY AND SOUTHEAST KENTUCKY...INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING AREAS...IN EAST CENTRAL KENTUCKY...BATH...ELLIOTT...ESTILL...FLEMING...MENIFEE... MONTGOMERY...POWELL AND ROWAN. IN NORTHEAST KENTUCKY...JOHNSON AND MARTIN. IN SOUTH CENTRAL KENTUCKY...LAUREL...MCCREARY... PULASKI...ROCKCASTLE...WAYNE AND WHITLEY. IN SOUTHEAST KENTUCKY...BELL...BREATHITT...CLAY...FLOYD...HARLAN... JACKSON...KNOTT...KNOX...LEE...LESLIE...LETCHER...MAGOFFIN... MORGAN...OWSLEY...PERRY...PIKE AND WOLFE. * FROM THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING. * THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY WILL INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND INTENSITY LATER TODAY WITH NUMEROUS TO WIDESPREAD SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ANTICIPATED THROUGH AT LEAST FRIDAY EVENING. THESE THUNDERSTORMS WILL HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE TORRENTIAL DOWNPOURS...WHICH MAY CAUSE FLASH FLOODING ON SMALL CREEKS AND STREAMS AND POOR DRAINING URBAN AREAS. THERE IS ALSO A POTENTIAL FOR STRONG RISES ON SOME OF THE LARGER RIVERS ACROSS EASTERN KENTUCKY LATER IN THE WEEK AND INTO THE WEEKEND. * THOSE LIVING ALONG CREEKS AND STREAMS SHOULD BE ALERT FOR THE POTENTIAL FOR FLASH FLOODING. IF YOU PLAN ON HIKING OR CAMPING DURING THE HOLIDAY WEEKEND...NEVER MAKE YOUR CAMPSITE NEAR A CREEK OR STREAM...NO MATTER HOW SMALL IT IS. WATER LEVELS MAY RISE DRAMATICALLY WITH LITTLE NOTICE DUE TO UPSTREAM THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY. Instructions: A FLASH FLOOD WATCH MEANS THAT CONDITIONS MAY DEVELOP THAT LEAD TO FLASH FLOODING. FLASH FLOODING IS A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION. YOU SHOULD MONITOR LATER FORECASTS AND BE PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION SHOULD FLASH FLOOD WARNINGS BE ISSUED. Link: Flash Flood Watch
http://alerts.weather.gov/cap/wwacapget ... 08ef6be4c9

...didn't see Russell County. lol does that mean the west end will be sunny? ROFL. B-(
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Nervous Wreck »

Well, as much as I hate it, I pulled the plug, we isn't going! :(
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I'm on a 24 hour delay
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

E_HILLMAN wrote:I'm on a 24 hour delay
Hope ya don't implode! :D ;;) :-*
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Starting to see a lil drift wood today on the west end.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

You must be seein' things! There ain't no drift on the west end! :-* :-*
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Attachments
IMG_20130706_133249.jpg
IMG_20130706_133249.jpg (643.34 KiB) Viewed 5067 times
Soak-up-the-Sun
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Grider Hill

Post by Soak-up-the-Sun »

We have saved a bundle on boat gas this weekend. Haven't got out one time, been here since Tues. night, only a short 5 hour rain-free window that I can think of and we had friends here partying with us at the campsite. Too many beers and nobody sober, no boat ride. Oh well, who would've thought it would be like this for five friggin days straight?? I guess we could've put the boat enclosures up and drove around, but just didn't feel like it. Gonna have to come back next weekend and try again, unless a miracle of sunshine is sent by God tomorrow, my boat is getting well rested, lol...
Happy camper and happy boater!!
bubbles
Better Member

Post by bubbles »

......as if last weekend's rain wasn't enough, and it was supposed to be a beautiful weekend this past one, there came the rain again Saturday! i was sooooo over it.... :ymsick: :(( ! at least it wasn't a wash out and the day still was good, sunday even better....until that late day storm rolled in!
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

rain back this weekend?
bubbles
Better Member

Post by bubbles »

E_HILLMAN wrote:rain back this weekend?
and yes.....again.....this coming weekend! X(

Return to “General Talk”