The 22 Worst Town Names In The World

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Wasn't there a town called Myass on one of the Jackass movies?

http://thebestthings.wordpress.com/2007 ... the-world/
22. Cockburn, Western Australia
Although this name is often pronounced “Coburn” by those who stand to lose from its awfulness, who actually reads that when they see this word? Oh, how it burns.

21. Twatt, Orkney, Shetland Islands, Scotland
The Shetland Islands, pronounced “Shitland Islands” if you have an accent like mine, make up a happy little area north of Scotland where it’s too cold for trees to grow. I am related to approximately half the population of the Shetland Islands, share a last name with a quarter of them, and can probably trace my ancestry back to Twatt if I try hard enough. The pride!

20. Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateapokaiwhenuakitanatahu, New Zealand
Locals call this hill in Hawke’s Bay “Taumata” because… Well. Just because.

19. Muff, Ireland
We here at Drivl love puerile humour. They have a town called Muff. Har har har.

18. Looneyville, Texas, United States
Little Looneyville was named for storekeeper John Looney in the early 1870s. But who gives a $h1t. This is a hilarious name for a town in the state that brought us Dallas, the Bush Twins and Waco. How awkward must that be when you go to college? “Hey guys, my name’s Sue and I’m from Looneyville!”

17. Titty Hill, Sussex, England
Falling squarely into the extensive Stupid Place Names From England category, Titty Hill is probably located just north of…

16. Thong, Kent, England
Which actually is south-east of…

15. Gravesend, Kent, England
Oh, come on, England. Graves End? What a nasty, depressing little name. You could have at least gone all the way with this one and called it Corpse Feet.

14. Wetwang, Yorkshire… yep! England again!
Okay, so I’ll cut England some slack. It’s an old country. You know, if the United States is Google, then England is IBM. Their country is older than boinking dirt. They can’t be blamed for having names that sound funny in 2007. But this is kind of ridiculous. Wetwang? I’m surprised they don’t have towns called Squishy Vagina or Infected Scrotum.

13. Spread Eagle, Wisconsin
If I were mayor of Spread Eagle, I’d be making diplomatic advances towards the city leaders over in Wetwang to form a Sister-City relationship. Or maybe more of a Platonic-Friends-City relationship. After that, we’d just take thing slow and see what happened.

12. Bald Knob, Arkansas, United States
Well, I guess it’s better than Hairy Knob. I assume England already has that one covered.

11. Cockup, Cumbria, England
Cumbria is a county in the very north-west of England. What the backwoods of Alabama are to America is what Cumbria is to Britain. They talk funny up there. Thus, it isn’t thoroughly surprising that they have a town called Cockup. What do you call someone from this place? A Cockupper? Cockupeleite? Cockuppian? Cockupican? I suppose it’s mildly better than Wetwangger.

10. Whiskey Dick Mountain, Washington State, United States
As hard as America tries, it can’t compete with Britain’s high standards. This was a good effort, though. Well done, Washington.

9. Hookersville, West Virginia
Undoubtedly named before “hooker” meant “prostitute who picks men up on street corners,” Hookersville combines two crimes of place-naming. One, a dirty sounding adjective (they couldn’t have chosen “Pleasant”? “Sunny”? “Happy”?) And two, they added “ville” to the end of the town’s name. Affixing “ville” to the end of a town’s name is like dressing your silly little dog in a cardigan and letting him carry his leash around in his mouth. It just makes the poor animal look boinking stupid.

8. Hell, Michigan, United States
The people in this town at least seem to have a good sense of humour about their home’s unfortunate name. Although, I’m sure there’s some midwestern idiots in Hell who get all offended and defensive when the town shows up on lists like this. I’m looking forward to reading their insightful emails and comments.

7. Toad Suck, Arkansas, United States
So that’s what they do down in the big AR.

6. Middelfart, Denmark
I guess it’s not so funny to them, but how do we know that “Seattle” doesn’t mean “Big Fat Stinking Turd” in Danish? That’s right, we don’t. And it probably does.

5. Horneytown, North Carolina, United States
Its proximity to Hookersville, West Virginia is no coincidence. I also assume that, like Hookersville, the naming of Horneytown took place before “horney” meant “aching for a hot piece of a$$” with an extra “e”. But I’m starting to wonder why, pride and tradition aside, the townspeople in these little places never saw it fit to change their homes’ names? Do they enjoy being ridiculed by the entire English-speaking world?

4. Shitterton, Dorset, England
I wonder if they bleep out the first part of Shitterton’s name if it’s mentioned on TV in America?

3. Disappointment, Kentucky, United States
Le sigh. Never mind. You live in a small town in Kentucky. At least it was appropriately named.

2. boinking, Austria
The idiots who live in boinking, Austria had a vote in 2004 to determine whether or not they should change the town’s name, and you know what they did? They voted against it, preferring instead to put up with international ridicule, numerous stolen road-signs and horrific Google results.

1. Whakapapa
Why is this the worst place name in the world? In Maori, the native language of New Zealand, the “wh” sound is pronounced “f”. Say it aloud in your office and see what happens.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Re: The 22 Worst Town Names In The World

Post by katie »

But.... where does Phuket, Tailand rank?? :-o

Acutally pronounced "puuket" but I doubt that it ever gets called that in the US, lol

Heck, we have a "Gnawbone" right about 15 miles from me, :-o :-o :D
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Bear Wallow, Kentucky

Beaver Lick, Kentucky
Bee Lick, Kentucky
Big Beaver Lick, Kentucky
Big Knob, Kentucky
Black Bottom, Kentucky (KY)
Black Gnat, Kentucky (KY)
Buffalo, Kentucky (KY)
Cuba, Kentucky (KY)
Deer Lick, Kentucky (KY)
Camp Dix, Kentucky (KY)
Dwarf, Kentucky (KY)
Fugit, Kentucky (KY)
Grannie, Kentucky (KY)
Knob Lick, Kentucky (KY)
Monkey's Eyebrow, Kentucky (KY)
Oddville, Kentucky (KY)
Ordinary, Kentucky (KY)
Peewee, Kentucky (KY)
Penile Possum Trot, Kentucky (KY)
Possum Trot, Kentucky (KY)
Pyramid, Kentucky (KY)
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky (KY)
Raccoon, Kentucky (KY)
Sugar Tit, Kentucky (KY)
Turkey, Kentucky (KY)
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
watt money
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Conley Bottom

Post by watt money »

I was gonna ask if 21 were in KY. I remember Cumberline doing a thread on weird Kentucky town names, one I remember was Stop, KY.
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

Strange names indeed =)) !
watt money
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Conley Bottom

Post by watt money »

Sugar Tit and Peewee was a nice couple from over in Knob Lick, KY. weren't they. Awe Fugit I can't remember. =))
No Patience
Marina/Ramp: Grider Hill

Post by No Patience »

Buck Snort, TN
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

From Wikipedia;

Sugartit, Kentucky

Sugartit (also known as Gunpowder)[2] is a former community in Boone County, Kentucky, United States. It was located at the intersection of U.S. Route 42 and Kentucky Route 237 between the cities of Florence and Union.[3] According to one account, the community received its name when the local men would spend all day at its general store and return home late for dinner; their wives would remark that they "had to have a sugartit [a pacifier made of cloth tied around a sugar cube] at the store".[2] The community no longer exists; the last surviving structure was the Sugartit Asphalt factory.[4]

Must've been some sweet lil thang working down at that general store. :D
Last edited by kdfwr911 on Thu May 30, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

Either that or the "atmosphere" was better there than at home... ;)

Kind of like guys that stop by the bar first before going home from work because they are afraid they will have to do something at home to help the little lady, who's already put in a 10 hr day if there is kids involved, etc.... you get the idea ;)
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

Could be Katie....either way it makes ya wonder how some of these places got their names.

Another from Wikipedia;

Big Bone Lick State Park

Big Bone Lick State Park is located at Big Bone in Boone County, Kentucky. It is located on Beaver Road and between the communities of Beaverlick and Rabbit Hash. The name of the park comes from the Pleistocene megafauna fossils found there. Mammoths are believed to have been drawn to this location by a salt lick deposited around sulphur springs.[3] Ancestors of the sloth, bison, and horse also grazed the vegetation and salty earth around the springs that the animals relied on for their diet. The area near the springs was very soft and marshy causing many animals to become stuck with no way to escape. It bills itself as "the birthplace of American paleontology," a term which dates from the 1807 expedition by William Clark and his brother General George Rogers Clark.[4]

In 2002, the National Park Service designated Big Bone Lick State Park as an official Lewis and Clark Heritage Trail Site.[5] The park was also listed in 1972 on the National Register of Historic Places and was further listed as a National Natural Landmark in February 2009.

A new visitor's center was officially opened on November 18, 2004, but this was only the first stage of a much larger project now in quest of funding. The museum center features fossils, American art and a 1,000 pound mastodon skull as well as a gift shop.

The park also features several nature trails, including the Outdoor Museum with Discovery Trail that includes a boardwalk around a marsh bog diorama with recreations of a woolly mammoth, a mastodon, a ground sloth, bison, and scavengers feeding on carcasses and skeletal remains. The Discovery Trail winds through several habitats, including grassland, wetland and savanna, and is accessible to the physically challenged.

A small bison herd is also maintained on-site.
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

And another;

Beaverlick, Kentucky

Beaverlick is an unincorporated community in Boone County, Kentucky, United States. Beaverlick is located along U.S. Route 42 and U.S. Route 127 4.5 miles (7.2 km) west of Walton. The community was established as a fur trading site between 1780 and 1820. A post office was established at Beaver Lick in 1853 with John Tucker its postmaster. Beaverlick was spelled as one word by 1900. The community's name came from its location at the source of the Beaver Branch of Big Bone Creek.[2]
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

Black Gnat, Kentucky

Black Gnat is an unincorporated community in Green and Taylor Counties in the U.S. state of Kentucky. It lies along Old U.S. Route 68 between the cities of Campbellsville and Greensburg, the county seats of Taylor and Green Counties.[1] Its elevation is 846 feet (258 m).[2]

After the local schoolhouse was painted, it became covered in black gnats. A person remarked about the large number of the black gnats, and the name remained. [3]
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Is there an A$$Whoopin' KY? :D ;;) O:-)
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

re3too wrote:Is there an A$$Whoopin' KY? :D ;;) O:-)
Yeah, I think it's just around the corner from Big Bone Lick. =)) :p
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

EWWWWW! :ymsick: :ymsick:
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)

Return to “General Talk”