On the 40th anniversary of the first cell phone

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

On the 40th anniversary of the first cell phone

Post by E_ »

What was your first cell phone and when?
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/ ... -birthday/

Mine was when I was in high school and was Fall of 1993 or Fall 1994 (I just know it was fall of one of those years. lol) . Had to be able to pay for it and the bill myself. It was a Motorola MicroTac like this one.

lol, yeah they called it MICO, we all called it the Brick.
motorola-microtac-led-1_.jpg
motorola-microtac-led-1_.jpg (24.68 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
And I kept the larger extended battery on it and always had a spare battery on a charger on the home base. ...still have the same cell phone number from it as well.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: On the 40th anniversary of the first cell phone

Post by E_ »

Second was the StarTac around 1996 I think.
Attachments
motorola_startac.jpg
motorola_startac.jpg (45.5 KiB) Viewed 4172 times
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

First time I tethered for internet was around 2001. It was sooo much faster than dial up. lol
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

Papaws first cell phone... 8-| =))
cell phone.jpg
cell phone.jpg (8.96 KiB) Viewed 4170 times
Believe it or not, I think he still has it!!!!
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

And probably uses it! =)) =))

Our first was a Nokia something in 1998. Finally broke down and got one after trying to sell a MH and buy a condo in FL while using a pay phone out in the hot sun! #:-s #:-s It is a convenience but not tied to it like most are. I keep GWW in line by threatening to hold it over his pacemaker...that's the most use it gets! :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

Motorola bag phone like Katie's in the very early 90"s. Can't remember what I paid for it, but remember that you only got 30 or 60 minutes a month (can't remember which) of talk time. If you went over it cost something like $2 a minute I believe. Kept it for about a year and dropped my service but still have the phone. Went without a cell phone for another couple years until Nokia came out with their popular little model in the mid 90's that would fit in your shirt pocket. By then (about 1994 or 95) you got a lot more minutes with a monthly plan for about the same cost that 30 minutes a month used to cost, so I got my 2nd cell phone....one of those sweet little Nokia's and have had one ever since.
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

katie wrote:Papaws first cell phone... 8-| =))
cell phone.jpg
Believe it or not, I think he still has it!!!!
That one reminds me of the old TV show "Charlie's Angels"

Mine was one similiar to the first one that E had, I think it was 1996 when I got it.
E_
Site Admin

Re: On the 45th anniversary of the first cell phone

Post by E_ »

45 years of mobile innovation

From the first cellular phone call 45 years ago through today, Motorola’s mobile phone legacy is marked by disruption and innovation. Game changers. Icons. All part of our DNA.

Ten years after the first cellular phone call, the FCC approved the Motorola DynaTAC as the world's first commercial handheld cellular phone.

With the Motorola StarTAC clamshell flip phone, the world was truly your oyster.

Just because the Motorola RAZR was thin doesn’t mean it wasn’t huge. This iconic mobile phone also came in hot pink!

Our groundbreaking moto Z + moto mods™ is the only smartphone that can transform into a projector, smart speaker or gamepad. Boom!
Attachments
Moto 45th.png
Moto 45th.png (492.06 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

It is cool to see how far tech has come.

Return to “General Talk”