Gas prices continue steady climb

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: old Alli-1

Gas prices continue steady climb

Post by Nervous Wreck »

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The nationwide average for gasoline prices approached $3.74 a gallon Thursday, continuing a steady rise for the 23rd consecutive day, according to the motorist group AAA.
The average price rose 0.7 cent a gallon in the latest 24-hour period, AAA said. A month ago, the nationwide average was $3.44 a gallon.

Gas prices are up 14% so far in 2012. The average price is down 37.6 cents, or about 9.1%, from the record high of $4.11 on July 17, 2008.
Average prices for regular gasoline top $4 a gallon in California, Alaska and Hawaii, with Hawaii's price of just above $4.35 a gallon standing as the nation's high. Prices are within a nickel of the $4 mark in New York and Connecticut, according to AAA.
The average price remains below $3.20 a gallon in Colorado and Wyoming, with Wyoming having the nation's lowest gas price at slightly above $3.17 a gallon.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/01/markets ... Stories%29

Now read this!!! X(

Oil falls below $107 amid weak US gasoline demand
By Alex Kennedy
Associated Press / March 1, 2012

http://www.boston.com/business/articles ... _improves/

This is the kind of crap that really gets my _ick out!!!!! X( X(
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Gas prices continue steady climb

Post by E_ »

Yep! Remember when it was $147 a barrel? Yep, when it hit that mark gas didn't get above $2 a gallon... ;) Just sayin....
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Hmm, (caution reading this may reduce your IQ as this was just a random progression of thought and data). lol

A barrel of oil contains 42 U.S. gallons of crude oil and other petroleum products.

It takes about 3 barrels of oil to produce 2 barrels of unleaded gas and 1 barrel of heating oil
So 126 gallons of crude makes 84 gallons of gas and you get a bonus 42 gallons of heating oil.
So just ignore the heating oil. If you just got 84 out of the 126 then we are at around ?28? gallons of gas for every 42 gallon barrel...
That would then be 4.11 a gallon for the gas. Then the refining is estimated to cost anywhere from .30 to .60 a gallon. So lets just say .45 for the heck of it. Now we are at 4.56 a gallon if it was JUST gas we got out of the oil. Then add tax depending on your state which I would think would stay below the $5 mark.

One thing they are not telling you is that a 42-gallon barrel of crude oil can actually produce 44.2 gallons of petroleum products. So there is a lot more money to be made there than just the 28 gallons of gas and 14 gallons of heating oil as there are a couple more gallons of other products to be made as well.

With just heating oil selling around 3.22 a gallon I would guess it's costs are around the same so now lets just go back to counting 42 gallons as 42 gallons thus a 42 gallon barrel of oil at $108 a barrel = 2.57 + .60 = 3.17 + 6% for good measure = 3.36. WHoA! Wait? What? lol
Now lets take into factor all those other products made out of that barrel of oil. You can bet the 28 gallons of gas will be made but how much heating oil is made? How much is motor oils that sell around $10 or more a gallon? Hmmm. Guess I was wrong on all counts... lol

--------------------Amount
--------------------Produced------Percent
Product---------- (gallons)-------of Total

Heating oil--------1.38-----------3
Gasoline----------18.56---------42
Diesel-------------10.31---------23
Jetfuel-------------4.07 ----------9
Other products --10.41----------23
Total--------------44.73---------100

Accorinding to some sites here's an approximation of where each dollar you spend on gas goes:

•Taxes: 13 cents
•Distribution and Marketing: 8 cents (why do they need to market gasoline? lol)
•Refining: 14 cents
•Crude oil: 65 cents.

Whats wrong with this Chart?

Another neat one

Hmmm that = 45 gallons...
This note was below pic Note: A 42-U.S. gallon barrel of crude oil yields about 45 gallons of petroleum products

Interesting from - http://www.r3sciences.com/crude_oil_a_b ... of_re.html
The largest share of the 42 gallons of crude oil ends up as a finished motor gasoline. Motor gasoline accounts for 19.65 gallons (~ 47%) of the finished products produced from a barrel of crude oil. Next is distillate fuel or diesel at 10.03 gallons (~ 24%) . A distant third is jet fuel at only 4.07 gallons per barrel (~ 10%) of crude. Residual oil is typically around 1.72 gallons per barrel (~ 4%).

Other petroleum products that are created from a barrel of oil during the refining process include: still gas, petroleum coke, liquified refinery gas, asphalt and various oils for lubricants, kerosene, waxes and other miscellaneous products. These "other" hydrocarbon products account for the final 15% of the barrel or around 6.53 gallons of the 42 gallon barrel.

The largest consumption from a barrel of crude oil goes to diesel for on and off road transportation vehicles. So in order to meet the demand for diesel a larger volume of gasoline is produced. In some ways this explains why the wholesale price for gasoline and diesel are disconnected and one can go down while at the same time the other holding steady or climbing

From that we could get better at the figures for what a gallon of gas (before tax which varies by state) should cost.

Anyone else want to try to figure it? lol
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I guess if we could properly break down the cost of a barrel to the amount each sub item costs to process and deliver and then figure that to the amount each of those items makes up in the barrell we would be more able to see who really is screwing us and make better decisions. I think Dolphin should come out of retirement and figure this out... lol
Islander_212
Marina/Ramp: State Dock / Caney Fork

Post by Islander_212 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Yep! Remember when it was $147 a barrel? Yep, when it hit that mark gas didn't get above $2 a gallon... ;) Just sayin....
At the all time non-adjusted high of $147.50 gasoline hit the all time non-adjusted average high of $4.10 / gallon. If you were buying oil with gold right now you would be paying about the equivalent of $0.28 / gallon if my math is correct.

Here is a good article... http://www.forbes.com/sites/louiswoodhi ... s-falling/

Also... Here is a good graph to help as well...Image
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Hmmm, sorry I had that a bit wrong Islander. There was one point after Sept 11 that the trading skyrocketed briefly and fell back down before the 2008 spike and I can't find it now but I was thinking then it had hit the $140 mark but we never saw of $2 prices. I musta made that up in muh head. lol
Islander_212

Post by Islander_212 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Hmmm, sorry I had that a bit wrong Islander. There was one point after Sept 11 that the trading skyrocketed briefly and fell back down before the 2008 spike and I can't find it now but I was thinking then it had hit the $140 mark but we never saw of $2 prices. I musta made that up in muh head. lol
I was able to buy gas for $1.49 on Christmas Day 2008 after having paid over $4.00 gallon that same summer. I rode around on cheap gas for that first tank. It has been on a steady climb upward since then...
Last edited by Islander_212 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

$3.99.9 (4 bucks) here in Columbus... :-s
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
Pop-O
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: State Dock/Punkin Creek

Post by Pop-O »

Our small town has the cheapest gas at the moment. Lawrenceburg, KY. 3.60/9 Our trip to the lake yesterday showed most at 3.75.
I have taken the road least traveled................and now I am freakin LOST !
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Islander_212

Post by Islander_212 »

$4.05 at the Eli Country Store yesterday...
watt money
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Conley Bottom

Post by watt money »

I'm in Washington DC right now and regular is $4.15 and premium is $4.45 a gallon.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

http://www.lex18.com/news/supply-disrup ... -to-surge/
Supply Disruption Causing Gasoline Prices To Surge

Posted: Aug 3, 2012 5:07 AM
Updated: Aug 3, 2012 5:43 AM

The price of gasoline has spiked over the last week due to disruptions to supply.

Prices in Lexington hovered around $3.79 per gallon Friday morning, up more than 20 cents in the last week. Prices near Covington surged above $4 a gallon.

Experts blame supply issues due to problems at three oil refineries in Illinois and Indiana, plus problems with a pipeline coming down from Canada, for the price surge.

Prices are expected to level out by September.

Topics: gasoline prices

Hmmmm, I bet there is ONE person we can point the finger at for the Canadian pipeline. At least several months of delays on it.
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Nervous Wreck »

It's $3.89 a gallon up here now! X( X(
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

http://www.lex18.com/news/gas-prices-ri ... aight-day/
Gas Prices Rise For 32nd Straight Day
Posted: Feb 18, 2013 4:09 PM by NBC
U.S. gas prices have hit a four-month high with 32 straight days of increases at the pump bringing misery to spring breakers and job hunters.

The Automobile Association of America said Monday that the national average for a gallon of regular is $3.73 -- 43 cents more than a month ago -- with prices topping $4 in California and Hawaii.

"It's become the perfect storm," AAA spokeswoman Nancy White said.

White and other experts blamed a series of factors for the uptick that started in mid-January:

-- Some refineries are switching over from winter to summer fuel, which is more expensive to produce.

-- A Hess refinery in New Jersey that supplies 7.5 percent of the Northeast's gas is closing.

-- Midwinter maintenance has led some refineries to go offline temporarily.

-- Demand for gas is up, fueled in part by the return of more people to working.

The price hikes come at a bad time, however, for Americans who are still out of work or facing smaller paychecks because of higher payroll taxes.

"Try the bad gas prices while trying to find a job," one unemployed driver vented on the Facebook page for GasBuddy.com, which tracks fuel prices around the nation.

Patrick DeHaan, an analyst with the website, said many cities have seen increases of 8 cents to 20 cents in just the past week. "This is what we usually see in late winter, early spring, but prices have started to rally two months earlier than usual," he said.

He said his firm's unscientific user surveys suggest that the pinch at the pump could lead to less travel over spring break in March and April and changes in plans for Memorial Day and even the summer.

"There are people predicting that it will go over $5 a gallon," DeHaan said. "I don't believe that's possible, but it shows how concerned motorists are."

On the Facebook page, many posters were worried that the rise in gas prices could cause an economic meltdown.

"When you raise prices on gas people will stop spending money because they need to get back and forth to work and pay their bills each month," one wrote.

"If it's this high right now, imagine what it's gonna be here in a few months!" another fretted.

White of AAA said that based on historical trends, prices will likely continue to rise into the warmer months and driving season, but not at the same pace they did in 2011 and 2012, when developments in Libya and Iran caused big spikes.

"That is not so much part of the picture right now," she said. "But that could change should something else happen overseas."

Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Nervous Wreck »

No matter how you cut the cake...we are getting 'SCREWED'!!!!!!! X(
Jaybird
Better Member

Post by Jaybird »

We were in Tennessee the last few days and it was $3.48 just about everywhere, even in Pigeon Forge. Some as low as $3.44 and as high as $3.59. Now they do have a 9.75% sales tax, even on food, so gas tax may be less than it is in Kentucky. Also I don't believe they have a State Income tax. And Tennessee beat the snot out of Kentucky, so does this mean we move there and become a Volunteer fan??? :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Well Dang JBird, we were on the same turf. I was at the Westgate Resort this weekend most of the time with a little time in town (Gatlinburg) and up Ober it.
Jaybird
Better Member

Post by Jaybird »

Yeah, we do the Smokies every couple of years. This time we splurged. Stayed at the Clarion, went to Wonder Works, the Magic show, and Aquarium over the weekend. Granddaughter loved it, but it wiped me out. Staying 4 PM - 11 PM at the Wonder Works did me in.

Return to “General Talk”