Factory-closing-bad-news-for-small-missouri-town

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Factory-closing-bad-news-for-small-missouri-town

Post by E_ »

Sure wish someone would do something about this kind of stuff. I guess the only thing we can do is try our best to only buy what is made here to send them the message we don't want it from anywhere else... :( More jobs gone.
http://fox4kc.com/2011/12/05/factory-cl ... ouri-town/
There is video at the link above

CHILLICOTHE, Mo. — Barely a year after purchasing a manufacturing plant from a competitor, clothing maker Hanes is set to close down the facility, leaving many in the town scrambling for work at a time when jobs in small towns can be hard to come by.

Hanes Brands, which – at least for now – is based out of Lenexa, Kansas, bought the facility from Gear for Sports in August of 2010. Workers at the plant made sports-related clothing like college football t-shirts and other items. Cecilia Harper just started at the plant four months ago after being out of work for two years.

“I think it’s going to be impossible (to find a new job). I mean it took me this long to find this job. What’s it going to take and how am I going to live?” said Harper.

Chillicothe Mayor Chuck Haney says that he believes that the handwriting was on the wall for the plant the moment Hanes purchased the plant.

“It was like a bomb shell had been dropped on us,” said Haney. “That’s exactly the fact, that there was plans the day they announced the sale, the next day they began work to get ready to move this plant to Mexico.”

Haney says that the jobs at the Chillicothe plant paid between $8 and $12 an hour, much more than in Mexico.

The closure has many people in town worried about their future.

“We used to have quite a bit of business with them in the evening, we would deliver dinners down there,” said Michelle Eckert, who runs a downtown cafe. “We haven’t delivered in the last two months at all.”

For people like the 57-year-old Harper, the prospects of finding a new job in a small town in a bad economy are daunting.

“How can I be self-sufficient if I have no income?” said Harper, who says that the American middle class is extinct. “I don’t think there will be a middle class. That’s what i feel. I feel there are going to be rich people and poor people and that’s just the way it’s going to be.”

made in usa certified

So, let me get this straight: Hanes purchases the manufacturing facility in 2010, and in less than a year it is closing down and moving/outsourcing its manufacturing to Mexico?

These employees were only earning anywhere from $8 to $12 an hour. Exactly how much LESS will your 'employees' in Mexico be earning, Hanes?

Shame on you, Hanes.

Very disheartening news.

Like · · 16 seconds ago ·
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Re: Factory-closing-bad-news-for-small-missouri-town

Post by Lock5 »

How smart does Ross Perot seem today?

..............Perot, on the other hand, was predicting that because the deal included no basic labor standards, it would preserve a huge "wage differential between the United States and Mexico" that would result in "the giant sucking sound" of American jobs heading south of the border. Corporations, he said, would "close the factories in the U.S. [and] move the factories to Mexico [to] take advantage of the cheap labor."

The historical record is clear. The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace reports, "Real wages for most Mexicans today are lower than when NAFTA took effect." Post-NAFTA, companies looking to exploit those low wages relocated factories to Mexico. According to the Economic Policy Institute, the net effect of NAFTA was the elimination of 1 million American jobs.

Score one for Perot.

What about immigration? In 1993, the Clinton administration pitched NAFTA as "the best hope for reducing illegal immigration." Perot, by contrast, said that after NAFTA depressed Mexican wages, many Mexicans "out of economic necessity" would "consider illegally immigrating into the U.S."

"In short," he wrote, "NAFTA has the potential to increase illegal immigration, not decrease it."
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

yep, I really liked Perot.

BTW here is a not just USA made but Kentucky Made alternative to Hanes for Briefs, undershirts, and T-shirts.
http://www.camapp.com/about.cgi

...now if they just made socks.
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

Many laughed at me when I said that he would make a good president. Well look at what you have today and tell me differant.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Spare Change wrote:Many laughed at me when I said that he would make a good president.
That ain't why they're laughin' at you! #-o #-o Sorry for the hijack....NOT! :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

You would think Hanes would be aware of the "anti-american" mfg. revolution going on. Heck, even the news has picked up on it. Dumb move on their part if you ask me but possibly their "world-wide" sales are far above their original company makers (if they did indeed start in America, I do not know this for sure). Hanes will not have any business of mine from here on out.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Yep, have been watching them lose 'Likes" all day on their facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/hanes?sk=wall&filter=1

Return to “General Talk”