Gun Wisdom.........

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Jaybird
Better Member

Gun Wisdom.........

Post by Jaybird »

From one of my gun carrying friends,

Gun Wisdom.........
Some words to the wise. Shooting Advice from various Conceal Carry Instructors. If you own a gun, you will appreciate this.
If not, you should get one and learn how to use it:
• Guns have only two enemies – rust and politicians.
• It’s always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
• Cops carry guns to protect themselves, not you.
• Never let someone or something that threatens you get inside arm’s length.
• Never say "I’ve got a gun". If need to use deadly force, the first sound they hear should be the safety clicking off.
• The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
• The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win - cheat if necessary.
• Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets . . . You may get killed with your own gun, but he'll have to beat you to death with it, ‘cause it'll be empty.
• If you’re in a gun fight:
If you're not shooting, you should be loading.
If you're not loading, you should be movin’,
if you're not movin', your dead.
• In a life and death situation, do something . . . It may be wrong, but do something!
• If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you have a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?
• You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or any other word, but a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much a universal language.
• You cannot save the planet, but you may be able to save yourself and your family.
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Re: Gun Wisdom.........

Post by $parechange »

:ymapplause: I totally agree. :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
pourme
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Grider Hill

Post by pourme »

Got my 12 year old his first rifle for Christmas. Those first 100 rounds we fired off will be 100 memories that last a long time!
Envy Our Past, Fear Our Future...Go CATS!
Islander_212
Marina/Ramp: State Dock / Caney Fork

Post by Islander_212 »

We (our sons) and some other family members went out and fired a hundred dollars or so in ammo on Christmas Day. It was a blast. Fired about everything except high powered rifles. Shotguns, massive hand cannons as well as a good ole .22 rifle. I even fired a few .357 mag rounds off using some 158 gr. Hydra Shoks. Big difference from shooting the little ole .38 specials in my trusty S&W Model 65-5. Shot everything from old TV sets (big screens included) to an old microsoft mouse.
pourme
Better Member

Post by pourme »

Never thought about all the old stuff i have for targets? LOL...
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

Islander_212 wrote: Shot everything from old TV sets (big screens included) to an old microsoft mouse.
Your story made me think about this huge old TV set I found sitting on the side of a gravel road out in the middle of nowhere last winter. Someone had obviously dumped it and there was this guy standing beside it when I pulled up. He was riding a bicycle and was obviously not the culprit who dumped it, and as soon as I rolled my window down he asked if it would be alright if he went home and got his truck and came back and got the TV. I told him to help himself to it if he wanted it, but asked why in the world he would want an old TV someone had dumped out on the side of the road. He told me that he could recover some amount of gold from inside it. I don't remember now how much he estimated he could recover from it, but with the price gold went up to I don't imagine it would take a whole lot to make it worth his effort. Anyway, the point is those old TV's have some gold in them if you know how to recover it. Don't know how much gold prices have fallen now though so it may not be worth messing with anymore.

Hi-jack over. Carry on. :)
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

There are no hijacks here... :P Unless RE3 does it and then we will SMITE her!
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

How many members carry? How many carry legally?
Spare= Legal
Islander_212
Marina/Ramp: State Dock / Caney Fork

Post by Islander_212 »

$pare

I don't have a CCDW yet, but I carry legally when I travel. It is in my vehicle and nearby. That is one thing I need to do this year is get my CCDW. I have had all the training when I was with the KDOC, but that was a long time ago. I have to get Kimberly to get her CCDW as well. She is an expert marksman as she was trained by the USAF.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

I carry "legally" except for a couple places. I'm still kinda off about the "license" as it is #1 a step to gun control and #2 a Really good way to track you down when guns go away.

Just watch Red Dawn. I know that sounds crazy but you NEVER know what could happen. Rome DID fall after all. ;)
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

E_HILLMAN wrote:There are no hijacks here... :P Unless RE3 does it and then we will SMITE her!
Ohhhh! Me loves bein' SMITED! :D ;;) :-*
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
bubbles
Better Member

Post by bubbles »

great post jaybird!!! and yes i also carry legally! i also know a guy that teaches the class, would prolly go outside of here if there was a few ppl interested in one area!
southforkwally

Post by southforkwally »

I'm baaaaaccckkk! Like a bad dream I guess. Not carrying at the time but will have to start since things are going downhill fast. Hello Bubbles. Spring is just around the corner and planting season is calling me... he he. Have a great day...............Southforkwally
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

I carry everywhere except work and it's pretty close when I'm there, I won't own a registered gun, and I'm not taking any concealed carry permit classes. For the reasons that E. eluded to. I just don't see how it protects me if it's on paper somewhere that I'm a gun owner. I may be in court defending my 2nd ammendment rights, but I won't be pushing daisies.
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

Lock I have 2 which I bought and had to register, I am getting ready to have the whole family take a course given to us by a friend that happens to be the Sherriff. No records. Because I have 2 registered does not mean that I won't have others that they will never find. When it comes to guns, I prefer to be legal, until that right is taken away, then we go to items 3,4,5 nad 6.
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

Heu Wally, great to hear from ya! Do not be a stranger!
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

I think everyone that owns a weapon should attend some sort of safety class and understand the responsabilities of gun ownership. I can't imagine a better place to have learned these things than a rural upbringing and the US Marines. :ymhug:
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Do ya'll really think I should carry? =)) =)) =))
cabowabo
Contributor

Post by cabowabo »

Good point Lock - take a class!!
As far as registration: I've bought new and registered, used and unregistered. Prove I still have any of them. ;)

Registration process -
When you fill out a registration/background form, dealer calls it in, gets yes or no and you go on your way, with or without your gun. That form has to kept by the dealer until he goes out of business. Then all the forms go to the feds.
There is also a "Multiple Handgun Purchase Form" (ATF Form 3310.4) for those that want to buy more than one handgun (his and hers?) that you never see, and gets sent immediately to the feds (ATF) after your purchase. Ask your dealer about that one.

*Form 3310.4 requires three copies: one for the ATF National Tracing Center; one for the state or local police; and one for our records. Additionally, the first two copies need to be faxed or sent no later than by close of business on the day that the sale or distribution occurs following the transaction. Other than that, the same rules apply for multiple firearm sales as for single firearm sales.*

Cabo
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

This is all I will ever need, lol - I don't wanna blow his head off his shoulders, I just wanna blow his head off! LOL :D =))
308-99_Unmarked%20Percussion%20Single%20Shot%20Pistol_2.jpg
308-99_Unmarked%20Percussion%20Single%20Shot%20Pistol_2.jpg (51.99 KiB) Viewed 7685 times
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

Or.... I could just cap his a$$ with this... LMAO!!!! =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
$(KGrHqR,!hQE6ZjVZPrkBOw0FWh,3w~~60_3.jpg
$(KGrHqR,!hQE6ZjVZPrkBOw0FWh,3w~~60_3.jpg (88.85 KiB) Viewed 7682 times
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I took a Hunters Saftey Class and have a certificate for that, does that count? My real class was hunting with my father almost EVERY day under his watchful eye training me. One bad move and you didn't forget soon. #-o
MPII

Post by MPII »

I recently went out with a friend and did some shooting in Aimesville, Ohio. Was shooting an old marlin Bolt Action .22. Picked it up cheap, just something that was fun to shoot. Enjoyed it SO much. Haven't been out for a while. There are a lot of stats being thrown around right now on how high gun sales have gotten. I was just at a Gun Show Saturday Morning and there were guns there that had been over 100 less in price last year.
Character is not what you do or say when everyone is watching you, its what you do and say when no one else is around.
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: old Alli-1

Post by Nervous Wreck »

Lets just say that I have one for 'all' occasions! ;)
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

re3too wrote:Do ya'll really think I should carry? =)) =)) =))
this may be more appropriate for you :D :D
Attachments
shirt-girl-guns-pink.jpg
shirt-girl-guns-pink.jpg (20.96 KiB) Viewed 7640 times

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER

Post by FasterThanYou »

If not, maybe this one :D
Attachments
pink-gun.jpg
pink-gun.jpg (13.63 KiB) Viewed 7640 times

DMS

Post by DMS »

Got daughter first 22 when she was 7, although she knew the "rules of the road" long before then. It was a pink Cricket which she stills has today including her 410, 16, 12 gauges, 2 22 rifles, 9mm pistol and for Christmas a new 243. Very safety minded but enlightened. She understands "homeland security" fo sho!

re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

FasterThanYou wrote:
re3too wrote:Do ya'll really think I should carry? =)) =)) =))
this may be more appropriate for you :D :D
FUS! Why don't you jist go away again? :ymtongue: :ymtongue: :D ;;) :-*
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

911 to teen mom who killed intruder: 'Protect your baby'

An 18-year-old Oklahoma mother fearing for her infant's life shot and killed an intruder after a 911 operator told her, "Do what you have to do to protect your baby."

Sarah McKinley was home with her 3-month-old son on New Year's Eve in Blanchard, Okla., when Justin Martin, 24, broke in with a large hunting knife, NBC affiliate KFOR-TV reported. McKinley told KFOR that Martin had come by a week before, claiming to be a neighbor, but she didn't let him in.

When Martin first showed up at her door, McKinley said she was in mourning: It was the night of her husband's funeral. He had died of cancer on Christmas Day.

"I saw that it was the same man. He had been here Thursday night and I had a bad feeling then," McKinley told KFOR.

Martin returned on New Year's Eve, but this time with another man, and armed with a 12-inch knife. McKinley could hear the two intruders pounding on the door, and knew she had to think fast.

First, she pushed a couch in front of the front door.

Then, she grabbed her son and "walked over and got the 12-gauge, went in the bedroom and got the pistol and put the bottle in his mouth and then I called 911," she told ABC affiliate KOCO.

The 911 operator asked McKinley to confirm that her doors were locked.

The young mother said yes, and asked if it was all right for her to shoot the man if he were to enter her house, reported KOCO.

McKinley said she asked the dispatcher, "I've got two guns in my hand -- is it OK to shoot him if he comes in this door? I'm here by myself with my infant baby, can I please get a dispatcher out here immediately?"

"I can't tell you that you can do that but you do what you have to do to protect your baby," the dispatcher said.

The 911 conversation lasted for 21 minutes. Then the door gave in.

"I waited till he got in the door. They said I couldn't shoot him until he was inside the house. So I waited until he got in the door and then I shot him," McKinley told KFOR.

Martin kicked in the door and charged at McKinley with his knife, but she said she shot at him before he could get to her.

McKinley struck Martin in the upper torso. He was pronounced dead at the scene, according to Oklahoma's News 9.

His alleged accomplice, Dustin Stewart, fled the scene, and later surrendered to police.

Authorities say McKinley's shooting was justified.

"You're allowed to shoot an unauthorized person that is in your home. The law provides you the remedy, and sanctions the use of deadly force," Detective Dan Huff of the Blanchard police told KOCO.

Some other suspicious activity around her home has led McKinley to believe Martin may have been stalking her, reported KFOR. Two of her dogs recently were found dead, she said.

The decision to shoot was difficult, she told KFOR.

"There's nothing more dangerous than a mother with her baby. But I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for him."
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Nervous Wreck »

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

I think all women should know how to use a gun, any kind of gun. I would hate to know that someone hurt my wife or daughter because neither knew how to use any of the guns in our house. These kind of things can happen any where and any time. I would die protecting my family. If they get to me it will be through a wall of bullets. If I remember correctly Superman is dead!
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Once again I guess I'm jist wired differently.....GWW has a gun but I personally want no part of it. I fully support the right to bear arms...it jist ain't for me!
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER

Post by FasterThanYou »

My wife is comfortable with my pistols - wait, that doesn't sound right. =)) =)) =))

She's shot my 9MM, 380, and 22 pistols and has carried the 380 at times. She hasn;t shot my 32s but neither have I, they're antiques that my grandfather carried when we he worked for the railroad.

I also have a 12 gauge, 20 gauge, and a 308 rifle. However, those are not easily carried :D :D :D

One of these days, my son is going to want to start hunting so I guess I'll have to get back in the groove of gutting deer. I showed him a video of field dressing a deer the other day when we were talking about it but he thinks he'll leave that to me. I told him, "no way, you shoot it, you field dress it and we all eat it"

I started him early with BB guns to teach him firearm safety and how to shoot. He's gotten good!!! Our daughter really doesn't care at all about even shooting. I've been looking at a 22 rifle for him but haven't picked one up yet. We've been trying to get him to the shooting range to let him shoot my 22 pistol.

kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

re3too wrote: I fully support the right to bear arms...it jist ain't for me!

Translation = Some of us already have enough to pack around without adding a gun to it. :D :D
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Nervous Wreck »

kdfwr911 wrote:

Translation = Some of us already have enough to pack around without adding a gun to it. :D :D
:-o #:-s :)) =))
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Nervous Wreck »

Spare Change wrote:I think all women should know how to use a gun, any kind of gun. I would hate to know that someone hurt my wife or daughter because neither knew how to use any of the guns in our house. These kind of things can happen any where and any time. I would die protecting my family. If they get to me it will be through a wall of bullets. If I remember correctly Superman is dead!
Attachments
5_301212266563418_100000239406135_1204569_1290391033_n19.jpg
5_301212266563418_100000239406135_1204569_1290391033_n19.jpg (15.93 KiB) Viewed 7574 times
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

kdfwr911 wrote:

You keep this chit up and I may jist have to reconsider about carryin! You too, Nervous! Sheesh! :ymtongue:
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

You keepin ur mammories in the hip holsters? lol

The GWW on carries because you scare him. lol
DMS

Post by DMS »

re3too wrote:I fully support the right to bear arms...it jist ain't for me!
Vegetarian = one who cannot hunt. ;)
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

FUE! :ymtongue: :ymtongue: :ymtongue: BIOYBYF! :ymtongue: :ymtongue:
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Nervous Wreck »

THIS IS THE BEST WORDED PRO-GUN ARGUMENT I HAVE EVER READ.

Very good article, and of course, from a Marine!!!!

As the Supreme Court heard arguments for and against the Chicago, IL Gun Ban, this man offered you another stellar example of a letter (written by a Marine), that places the proper perspective on what a gun means to a civilized society.

Interesting take and one you don't hear much. . . . . .
Read this eloquent and profound letter and pay close attention to the last paragraph of the letter....

"The Gun Is Civilization" by Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunken guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force, watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)

So, the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced.

This is worth printing and sharing with others!
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

Yes sir, that is a correct statement! What really needs to be done is for all the women who are against it, to spend a little time to the poor girls that were beaten and raped. Then maybe they will have a change of heart. An attack can happen at any time and any place, be prepared! DON'T BE A VICTOM!!!!!!!! :|
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

I am entitled to my opinion...I think! :ymsigh:
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

NOPE! lol YOU vicTOM!

lol, j/k I don't think he meant you Barb. He meant those that are just flat out against it.
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

To All women! Including Barb. On her your opinion don't count!!!!!!!!! :ymdevil:
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER

Post by FasterThanYou »

I need one of these yard signs
Attachments
yard sign.jpg
yard sign.jpg (44.86 KiB) Viewed 7486 times

Captain Bob
Better Member

Post by Captain Bob »

I have a CCDW license and I carry wherever and whenever it's legal. Use a 9mm for everyday and a .380 when travelling. I have a special locked case that I use when flying commercial and have never had a problem. When we went to Canada last year I decided to not risk it so I left my gun (in the case) with the Port Huron Police Department for safe keeping.

Mrs. Captain does not have a CCDW but she is qualified with her .25 and comfortable with my .380 and 9mm in case she ever needs to use them. Bud's has a real nice indoor range here in Lexington and we go over and fire a few magazines every 3 months or so. For Christmas, she bought me a certificate for 4 hours of range time at the new Semper-Fi gun range which will be open in Brannon Crossing in February. Nice..

I think that sharing these shooting experiences has made us closer. :x
She doesn't mess with me -and I don't mess with her! ;)
pourme
Better Member

Post by pourme »

Captain Bob wrote:I have a CCDW license and I carry wherever and whenever it's legal. Use a 9mm for everyday and a .380 when travelling. I have a special locked case that I use when flying commercial and have never had a problem. When we went to Canada last year I decided to not risk it so I left my gun (in the case) with the Port Huron Police Department for safe keeping.

Mrs. Captain does not have a CCDW but she is qualified with her .25 and comfortable with my .380 and 9mm in case she ever needs to use them. Bud's has a real nice indoor range here in Lexington and we go over and fire a few magazines every 3 months or so. For Christmas, she bought me a certificate for 4 hours of range time at the new Semper-Fi gun range which will be open in Brannon Crossing in February. Nice..

I think that sharing these shooting experiences has made us closer. :x
She doesn't mess with me -and I don't mess with her! ;)
Sounds like a Cold War! =))
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

ROFLMAO

Return to “General Talk”