Free Cell Phones

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Jaybird
Better Member

Free Cell Phones

Post by Jaybird »

DAYTON, Ohio - A newspaper investigation has found that tens of thousands of Ohioans are abusing a federal program that gives free cell phones to low-income households.

The Dayton Daily News reports that cell phone companies are promoting it heavily and it is so commonly abused that 26,500 Ohioans in November have been notified they are violating the rules.

Companies get up to $10 each month for each person who signs up.

The 26,500 who were notified represent 5 percent of all users.

They are suspected of signing up for more than one line. They have 35 days to pick one provider to stick with.

The program had 280,000 Ohioans enrolled in 2008, but that has grown to almost 600,000 this year. The 2010 cost in Ohio was $58.9 million.

Copyright Associated Press

Read more: http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/newspaper% ... z1eedcCeUH
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Free Cell Phones

Post by E_ »

So if they are only 5% does that mean there are over 500k in the state getting free gov. phones? WOW!
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Jaybird
Better Member

Post by Jaybird »

The program had 280,000 Ohioans enrolled in 2008, but that has grown to almost 600,000 this year. The 2010 cost in Ohio was $58.9 million.
And anyone with a cell phone or land line helps pay for it with fees added to your bill.
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: old Alli-1

Post by Nervous Wreck »

Jaybird wrote:And anyone with a cell phone or land line helps pay for it with fees added to your bill.
Yeah, and that is 'pure' BS!! X(
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Yes it is, any cell phone will dial 911 thus no service needed. Give them OLD phones for free to use for emergencies. A phone is NOT a requirement for life.
Rafe Covington
I posted something! WooHoo!

Post by Rafe Covington »

A large company rigging the system and stealing money, d@mn that a BIG surprise aint it. :-\ Why is any body surprised by that?

Rafe
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Good point Rafe... lol

Return to “General Talk”