TYSON dropping Labor Day for muslims :-<

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

katie
MASTER MEMBER

TYSON dropping Labor Day for muslims :-<

Post by katie »

OUTRAGED!!!! :-o X( :-o So now these AMERICAN citizens will not get to celebrate the Holiday with their loved ones, friends and family to accommodate a "religious" holiday for 700 people?? Tyson even provided them with a "prayer room"??? I bet there are not any other religions prayer rooms X( Labor Day is not even a religious Holiday! Interesting article. It says "workers" opted to trade - actually it was the union and muslims.

SHELBYVILLE, Tenn. — Workers at a Tyson Foods poultry processing plant in Tennessee have opted to trade a paid Labor Day holiday for the Muslim celebration of Eid al-Fitr.

A 5-year contract approved by members of the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union at the Shelbyville, Tenn., plant last November includes the change to accommodate Muslim workers.

"The negotiating committee made the holiday a top priority in contract talks," the union's Alabama and Mid-South Council Representative Randy Hadley said in a statement issued in June. "And we were able to get management to commit to it."

Great find re3too, thanks for sending it to me!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,397645,00.html
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Re: TYSON dropping Labor Day for muslims :-<

Post by imaposer »

Hmm. What does AMERICAN have to do with it? Labor day isn't an AMERICAN holiday. It's a (mainly) union workers holiday.
It says "workers" opted to trade - actually it was the union and muslims.
Well, duh. Who do you think the workers are? It would take a vote among the union members to push to get this, then the union leaders negotiating it as part of the contract. Simple as that. It's what the members wanted, company didn't object, it's what happened.

If you want to get pissy about a stipulation in a union contract, ours traded veterans day for the day after thanksgiving. A true AMERICAN Holiday, for a day that is nothing more than making a four day weekend. Don't recall it ever making the national news.

Guess what? IT'S WHAT WE WANTED!

Fox news. What a joke.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Wow, if that is true

BOOOOOOOOOOOO on that union and employees.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

Hmm. What does AMERICAN have to do with it? Labor day isn't an AMERICAN holiday. It's a (mainly) union workers holiday.

Do you mean to tell me they celebrate Labor Day in countries other than America???? (not being ignorant or a smartass, just wanted to point out that statement. :p

I agree, Labor Day was arguably started by the Labor Unions (another day to get paid and do no work, but hell, I'll take it).
http://usgovinfo.about.com/bllabor.htm

My point is, they have excluded anyone who is not MUSLIM to be allowed to celebrate this AMERICAN holiday.... for more than 100 years, people have been celebrating and planning vacations around this holiday. Even schools start around this holiday so the teachers will get paid for it!! Oh wait, teachers have a union too ;)

I just think it is horse manure that because the majority of a plant is a certain religion, they can vote out a MAJOR holiday (which is not religious). Why not give them a few hours off to pray, just like Ash Wednesday....? They even have their own prayer room in the plant, they don't even have to leave!! :D

I hope not many of them have made large deposits on houseboat rentals for that weekend =;

Oh, as far as FOX NEWS is concerned, I figure they were the only news station with big enough BALLS to even report it. You watch yours, I'll watch mine ;) :D (p.s. my 1st news choice is ABC - daily and nightly, never heard or read this story on any of their sources :( )

GOD BLESS AMERICA!
imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Post by imaposer »

katie wrote:Hmm. What does AMERICAN have to do with it? Labor day isn't an AMERICAN holiday. It's a (mainly) union workers holiday.

Do you mean to tell me they celebrate Labor Day in countries other than America???? (not being ignorant or a smartass, just wanted to point out that statement. :p

I was just saying it isn't a holiday in remembrance of anything for the country, just a holiday created by the unions to celebrate the working men.

And, not everyone gets labor day off. Last place I worked, if you wanted it off, you used a personal day. We got 5 holidays a year. Ironically, one of them was christmas. I guess someone should call fox news and tell them people are being forced to take christmas off even though they don't want to. 8-}

I just don't see where this is a worthy national news story. i-)
gumby
Contributor

Post by gumby »

Uh, you guys realize this ariticle is 3 years old, right? Things have changed since this agreement was made. They are back to having Labor Day off and have added a personal day that can be taken for their birthday, Eid al-Fitr, or any other day they want.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

good info gumby!
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

No Gumby, actually I didn't know that but then it takes me a lil' longer.. ;) sometimes I forget to look at the date on the article, but hey, doesn't hurt to know what has been going on in our world, right? :|

Thanks for that update! Now me and imaposer can get the wad out of our panties.. =)) =)) =)) (LOL at myself)

Return to “General Talk”