Friends of yours Bubbles? Glad to hear they will be ok.

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Friends of yours Bubbles? Glad to hear they will be ok.

Post by E_ »

http://www.lex18.com/news/names-of-fire ... -released/

Names Of Firefighters Hurt In Boyle County Accident Released

Officials have released the names of the four firefighters who suffered minor injuries Thursday morning after a Boyle County Fire Engine flipped Thursday morning while on its way to a chimney fire.

The accident happened at about 10 a.m. on U.S. 52, also known as Lancaster Road. State Police say the driver of the truck, Lt. Jim Harris, somehow drifted off the side of the road slightly and tried to correct, but the back end of the truck caught the side of the road, causing the truck to flip over twice.

A pickup truck behind the fire truck was hit by the fire truck, but the driver was not hurt.

Officials said two of the four firefighters had to be cut out of the engine, which blocked the road for several hours after the accident.

Harris suffered a separated shoulder in the accident, and the others hurt, Lieutenants Mate Wesley and Clarence Roller and Firefighter Tim Middleton just had bumps and bruises.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
bubbles
Better Member

Re: Friends of your Bubbles? Glad to hear they will be ok.

Post by bubbles »

Yes, one of the guys actually works for us full time. This was county volunteer fire that had the accident. It was very violent looking, a very scary picture, and could have been so much worse. Fortunately they are all ok....although I am quite sure they will all be very sore for the next few days. They said it rolled 2-3 times. Someone said there are arial shots of the scene. Maybe on AMNEWS?!
Islander_212
Marina/Ramp: State Dock / Caney Fork

Post by Islander_212 »

bubbles wrote:Yes, one of the guys actually works for us full time. This was county volunteer fire that had the accident. It was very violent looking, a very scary picture, and could have been so much worse. Fortunately they are all ok....although I am quite sure they will all be very sore for the next few days. They said it rolled 2-3 times. Someone said there are arial shots of the scene. Maybe on AMNEWS?!
Yeah, I liked the quote from the driver when asked what happened. Said he did not know.... the truck just lost it. Yeah right...
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Looking at the news story last night it SURE looked like they need to get some gravel on those steep shoulders. If you drop off the pavement any you are DOOMed from what I saw. :-o
Islander_212

Post by Islander_212 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Looking at the news story last night it SURE looked like they need to get some gravel on those steep shoulders. If you drop off the pavement any you are DOOMed from what I saw. :-o
Oh, that is normal around here. They repave the roads several times and then you end up with a foot or more of drop off from the road to the ground. That is why you have to pay attention and keep the darn thing on the road! They die around here all the time from dropping off the shoulder and then cranking hard left to only run into whatever is on the other side of the road. Too busy doing ______________ fill in the blank here instead of driving. Idiots!
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

anyone can mess up, put some traffic bound on those roads... especially for the big trucks like the one that rolled if you meet a vehicle that is just a little on your side of the road and have to drop off the edge to avoid a head on collision it should not result in a wreck because of improper road maintenance...
DMS

Post by DMS »

As soon as they showed the pic on tv last night I told wife, they dropped off shoulder and jerked it. Seen it happen several times (million mile club member since 2000), was a passenger once in same type of crash. Also old man interviewed talked about speed. A $500,000 truck destroyed because of driver error.
Islander_212

Post by Islander_212 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:anyone can mess up, put some traffic bound on those roads... especially for the big trucks like the one that rolled if you meet a vehicle that is just a little on your side of the road and have to drop off the edge to avoid a head on collision it should not result in a wreck because of improper road maintenance...
In your scenario you have proven my point.... another itiot! Driving ain't that hard. Keep your head out of arse and drive the d@mn thing. I think that if you catch people doing things other than driving as they should then take their licenses forever. Some recent studies have suggested that "Distracted Driving" is more deadly than DUI / DWI and we know the scorn and legal penalties imposed upon them. Not so much on the others...
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I meet a-holes all the time on my side of the road and in my truck I am wide enough I either hit them or take the ditch. Thus far I take the ditch. 90% of them are not texting or anything else they are just over the line and on many KY roads there is not any room for that. These kind of things happened WAY before cell phones and texting. THe issue is sometimes people drift especially in curvy areas. Some people just don't know where their vehicle is. why should I have to pay for that by hitting a ditch that is NOT properly engineered and maintained. There is a responsibility on the road department and whomever paved the road to not have a drop off that sucks people off the road. Can you have the back tire of a fire truck FULL of water dip off the road with a dip like that and not have it flip every time? When you dip something hauling water the water shifts and increases the issue. Even the best of drivers could wreck at that point.

Not trying to go head to head with you Islander just trying to play the devils advocate that the road should not have been in that condition in the first place. Just like potholes have to be filled etc.
Islander_212

Post by Islander_212 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:I meet a-holes all the time on my side of the road and in my truck I am wide enough I either hit them or take the ditch. Thus far I take the ditch. 90% of them are not texting or anything else they are just over the line and on many KY roads there is not any room for that. These kind of things happened WAY before cell phones and texting. THe issue is sometimes people drift especially in curvy areas. Some people just don't know where their vehicle is. why should I have to pay for that by hitting a ditch that is NOT properly engineered and maintained. There is a responsibility on the road department and whomever paved the road to not have a drop off that sucks people off the road. Can you have the back tire of a fire truck FULL of water dip off the road with a dip like that and not have it flip every time? When you dip something hauling water the water shifts and increases the issue. Even the best of drivers could wreck at that point.

Not trying to go head to head with you Islander just trying to play the devils advocate that the road should not have been in that condition in the first place. Just like potholes have to be filled etc.
d@mn E are you a liberal in disguise? I have not seen a road that I cannot drive down and survive without the government to come in and make it better so that I (and others) can navigate with no personal responsibility for maintaining control of my vehicle without fear of an accident. When I see those folks coming across the centerline I cross it too. You should see them scurrying back to their side! It is hilarious. Fire trucks are designed to handle their loads when operated properly. I don't know what caused the guy to wreck. I do know I can navigate that stretch of road in that truck at and above the posted speed limit and not crash! You also can run off that road even in a loaded fire truck and not flip if you don't crank it hard the other way... It's less than a foot drop and the center of gravity is such that it would take a four foot drop or so to turn over if you don't freak out and try to turn it back hard left. What causes them to crash is the same that would on a flat level piece of ground. Try driving at 50 mph and just crank it immediately in either direction. You will either spin out or turn over if the center of gravity is high. That is simple physics. The rules are quite simple... when running off the road you stay off the brakes and slow down and steer easily back up on to the pavement. This happens when there is a two to four inch difference in the two surfaces. Hundreds if not thousands pass these spots daily with no problems... one idiot and the d@mn road is broken! Nah, the people are broken! Happy Good Friday everyone. Now we need ___ back on here! Got my boats rented for the forum party and waiting patiently.... Going boating this weekend...
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Have you ever driven a water truck with a half full tank? Its not that simple. Water @ 8.5lbs per gallon x 1,000 gallons at a HIGH center of gravity to truck + dropping 1' = ___________lbs of force pulling the top of the vehicle over no matter how you steer.

I have seen wagons holding 500gallon tanks flip because of slosh doing 15mph.

How am I liberal for thinking the road should have been built right to begin with?

Your answer is you cross the center line too? LOL Good one? What if they are asleep? Bye bye both of ya and YOU get a Darwin award... LMAO

As for me I drive 1 lane roads EVERY day and I meet UPS trucks on it and both of us can stay on the pavement. But I have been on a 2 lane road and had a GeoPRism not leave enough room for me on the asphalt. I opt to not kill them as my ego is not worth a life. It sure is nice to have a good shoulder to get out of there way with. Now with a fire truck at a high speed what are they to do?
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Environmental Causes of Rollover Accidents
There are situations and terrain that exponentially raise the chances of having a rollover accident. If a vehicle is turning or sliding, sending the centrifugal force to one side, even a slight change in terrain can flip the vehicle. These components, coupled with the human cause list below in any combination, can cause a major, possibly fatal, rollover accident at any time. That is why it is essential that people are aware of these.

Curb – Even the shortest curb, as low as an inch, can flip a vehicle at the right speed and trajectory.

Ditch – A ditch can be hidden on the side of the road by grass. Many-a-vehicle has innocently pulled off and found their vehicle slowly flipping over with no way to stop it.

Pothole – Turning and sliding into a pothole is much like sliding into a curb, but it just happens to be conveniently placed in the middle of the road.

Shoulder – Tons of drivers cut corners, particularly on rural roads and highways, riding the shoulder. You can see the wear in the lines of where this is a common practice. As mentioned above, a change in terrain can be a major cause of rollovers.

Gravel – Gravel resides on shoulders. As people ride shoulders it gets spit out onto the roadway and can be the cause of the vehicle to slide. As soon as the gravel stops and solid pavement resumes, the vehicle rolls.

Ice – The gravel concept applies especially to ice. The car slides, the ice ends, and the car is flipping. This is why it is essential to keep the wheels straight or turn into the slide.

Curves – This is where skill and experience comes into play. So many young drivers are victims of rollover accidents due to speeding around curves it’s at epidemic levels.
Islander_212

Post by Islander_212 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Have you ever driven a water truck with a half full tank? Its not that simple. Water @ 8.5lbs per gallon x 1,000 gallons at a HIGH center of gravity to truck + dropping 1' = ___________lbs of force pulling the top of the vehicle over no matter how you steer.

I have seen wagons holding 500gallon tanks flip because of slosh doing 15mph.

How am I liberal for thinking the road should have been built right to begin with?

Your answer is you cross the center line too? LOL Good one? What if they are asleep? Bye bye both of ya and YOU get a Darwin award... LMAO
Oh I have pulled a little bit of everything. The water does not move that much. It tries to remain level regardless of what the container is doing. Now abrupt maneuvers causes it to continue to move in the initial direction and if there is room it can move some. It is more in line with 8.33 lbs. but... depends on the temps. You are liberal for blaming the road. Like I said... thousands if not hundreds drive by there daily with no problems. Shall we have the government pave the whole d@mn earth flat? You can still kill yourself and blame the government then too! When I take aim at 'em by crossing the center line I can see the whites of their eyes! I am always in the bigger vehicle. No Darwin awards here. I am taking care of myself! Don't need anyone do to do it for me. I drive 68 to the office in Lex when I have to be up there and have ten a day trying to kill me. 18 wheelers and all. If I can help it they will not be able to do it. That road where the wrecked is in peoples front yards. Their easement is not enough to fix that. It is a country road and posted speed limit through there is 35 MPH. I can go through there at 60 MPH in the rain and no problems. There is a curve not far from there that was killing four or five a year. The posted speed limit was 35 and I could do 65 around it in the rain. Those who killed themselves were trying it at 70. Finally they took 3 million of my tax money and fixed it. That is BS! We need to weed the stupid ones out. Now I am a bit peeved when they take out decent folks, but... we have to be vigilant! Is ___ back yet?
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Nope. Was all of this just for PACs benefit?

And yes the water DOES move.

you would have failed a CDL
http://www.truckercountry.com/cdl-tank- ... est-2.html
http://www.lifeasatrucker.com/types-of- ... -jobs.htmlSpecial training is required because it is easy to turn over hauling liquid as the center of gravity changes.
C I like ya and wether you admit it or not you just don't know what you are talking about when it comes to hauling tanks. I have done it. Just the slosh from downshifting can create some amazing force enough to feel like you got rear ended by a 747. Just a little slosh sideways without baffels and you are walking some wheels. A large shoulder drop off and BAM you are gone. As for seeing the whites in their eyes and you always having the bigger vehicle that concerns me on how much you value someone else's life.

I'm not sure of the specifics in this case as if it were driver error and dropping off the shoulder or if they did it on purpose to miss oncoming traffic that did not give them enough room.

I am not asking to PAVE all the roads. I am saying if you pave a road do it right and fix the shoulder. With a paved 2 lane road one expects the engineering to be done right when Taxpayers pay to have it done to begin with... The traffic bound down the side is a minimal expense as compared to the blacktop and should always be part of the bid. Many times it is in the bid and the contractors just don't come back and do it.

If you were running down the interstate and it went to gravel road in the middle of a curve with no warning would you not feel that it was the fault of the road engineers? Because on a interstate you EXPECT pavement and the ability to maintain 70mph speeds.

either way glad to hear the firefighters are ok.
Islander_212

Post by Islander_212 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Nope. Was all of this just for PACs benefit?

And yes the water DOES move.

you would have failed a CDL
http://www.truckercountry.com/cdl-tank- ... est-2.html
http://www.lifeasatrucker.com/types-of- ... -jobs.htmlSpecial training is required because it is easy to turn over hauling liquid as the center of gravity changes.
C I like ya and wether you admit it or not you just don't know what you are talking about when it comes to hauling tanks. I have done it. Just the slosh from downshifting can create some amazing force enough to feel like you got rear ended by a 747. Just a little slosh sideways without baffels and you are walking some wheels. A large shoulder drop off and BAM you are gone. As for seeing the whites in their eyes and you always having the bigger vehicle that concerns me on how much you value someone else's life.

I'm not sure of the specifics in this case as if it were driver error and dropping off the shoulder or if they did it on purpose to miss oncoming traffic that did not give them enough room.

I am not asking to PAVE all the roads. I am saying if you pave a road do it right and fix the shoulder. With a paved 2 lane road one expects the engineering to be done right when Taxpayers pay to have it done to begin with... The traffic bound down the side is a minimal expense as compared to the blacktop and should always be part of the bid. Many times it is in the bid and the contractors just don't come back and do it.

If you were running down the interstate and it went to gravel road in the middle of a curve with no warning would you not feel that it was the fault of the road engineers? Because on a interstate you EXPECT pavement and the ability to maintain 70mph speeds.

either way glad to hear the firefighters are ok.
Nah, just my benefit. I do know that ___ liked to banter back and forth with you and I am just following suit... I did not say it won't move back and forth but it will not do so very much unless you make sudden changes in direction. Once you get it moving is stays fairly stable and as you make slow deliberate movements it remains very stable due to the hydrogen bonds. If you fill the tank there is no movement to impart forces to the vehicle as it cannot build momentum and crash into the side of the container. Fire trucks are designed to handle these loads when operated as designed. In order to do these roads as you have indicated you would have to never repave and always tear up the existing pavement and lay new pavement on these country roads. Now I am sure we have the money to do that... I just do the responsible thing and stay on the paved portion of the roadway. If I need to drive off that portion for any reason I slow down and do so. No problems. You are quoting more government innuendos too... The center of gravity can only change vey minutely within a given container. The maximum would be with a half full container and you could change it up to 5% and that would largely be fore and aft. Side to side it is much less. Any vehicle designed to carry this type of load can easily accomodate this when operated within the design intent. Even running off a 1 foot shoulder.
E_
Site Admin

Re: Friends of yours Bubbles? Glad to hear they will be ok.

Post by E_ »

I guess the question here would be how full was the tank.

...lol all this just because I said
Looking at the news story last night it SURE looked like they need to get some gravel on those steep shoulders.
:))
Islander_212

Post by Islander_212 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:I guess the question here would be how full was the tank.

...lol all this just because I said
Looking at the news story last night it SURE looked like they need to get some gravel on those steep shoulders.
:))
Yep. That about sums it up! You tired yet? Look at it this way... we bumped the post count and no one died! I have not been banned, we will drink bourbon together in a few days and all will be right with the world. I miss ___!
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I think all do at times but ___ is best served with alcohol at the lake... lol

In other words for those trolling along with us.... Sure even I miss ___ at times but I would rather sit and have a drink with him at the lake than deal with past issues on the net again.
DMS

Post by DMS »

Most tankers have either compartments and or baffels to prevent sloshing, other than some food grade haulers. Shouldnt fire trucks, esp. in rural areas, be full on any run?
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

d@mn!!!! You guys have me worried about filling up the Suburban with 30 packs 'o beer now. :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

I guess I can only pick up one case at a time. :D :D :D :D

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I think the cans count as baffels... lol
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

E_HILLMAN wrote:I think the cans count as baffels... lol

Shewww, thank God!!! I was getting worried.

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

FasterThanYou wrote:
E_HILLMAN wrote:I think the cans count as baffels... lol

Shewww, thank God!!! I was getting worried.
I think Hillman is full of chit! :D :D :D
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)

Return to “General Talk”