I think I can predict part of E's future.

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

G.T.
Contributor

I think I can predict part of E's future.

Post by G.T. »

OK... This topic is really wide open, and I make this post with many qualifiers. So please indulge me for a second.

#1. I have only met E maybe 6 times and 4 of them were on passing boats. (maybe I should add.. that I remember)
#2. I would consider him a friend. You know, one of those lake friends. One you could call, and have a drink or what ever.
#3. I enjoy watching his posts and how he pokes.. sometimes on purpose, sometimes just because thats how he fills about the subject.

Finally. I chose to post this here, becuase if he is offended at all by this post, he can delete it, and then take whatever actions he feels needed.

Ok now that I've set this up I'll try to make it worth while.

E made a comment about Texting while driving several months ago,
(I'm sure he can pull up the link real quick), and he basically said, (I'm taking great liberty with my paraphrasing).

Texting while driving is no big deal, he does it all the time, and he can drive as well while he's texting as any other time.

We've all seen the parking lot photos and the motorcycle views.

Now for the most resent one.

"What else would you give up to feel secure...?... (ok I promise that is my last comment in this thread) " This one is a direct quote related to the airport screening.

Now to elaborate on my thought.... E is a new father. My prediction is simple.

In the next 10 years, if not sooner, his opinion on both of these subjects will change greatly.

Why is simple. He will want his baby to be safe, and no cost or inconvience will outweigh that. His frame of reference will change greatly.

I remember the day very clearly that I thought metal detectors in schools would be a great idea, I'm still for it, I've just moved my child out of public schools to help assist with the issue. And for the record, where we live is generally a great safe place.

And in the last month, I've threatened life and limb if the records showed any texting during the known times my 16 year old was driving his car.

I own guns, I even send a text once in a while while driving, so I'm not anti anything, however the fact that I can own a gun only proves to me that any idiot can weather they are in their right mind or not, and my actions while texting and driving.. well lets just say, I'm not as skilled as E.

OK.. I've wanted to make this post several times, to sturr it up, and to get my thought on the record. Let me have it..... and then in a few years, I'll buy E a beer and ask him what his opinion is on that day.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: I think I can predict part of E's future.

Post by E_ »

lol, GT I'm not offended at all.

But just like people said my wife would change when we had this baby and that she would quit working 10-12+ hour days and traveling all over the country and they were WRONG as I told them they would be.

Anyone that thinks I will ever be for more laws that make no sense and for screening that cuts into someone's liberties and we (as citizens with no felonies) have the right to move freely about the country without search and seizure unless there is an existing cause (on our part) to make this happen. Mark my words I do not give up our liberties easily. I don't mind metal detectors because that is not intrusive. I don't mind the wand for the same reason, I don't really mind the full body scanner that shows the image but it is not my personal preference that matters here as really to keep to our rights it should not be but instead it could just show a silhouette of the body and then if there is an issue put a red dot where it is. There are sniffers that can detect explosives. If the underroo bomber had gone through one of those it could have detected him instantly.

As for texting and driving where does it stop? Tuning your radio? Drinking a coke? Talking to someone in the car with you? There is already a law in place for when people are doing something and putting others in danger. It is called wreckless driving and there are other laws that back it up as well. If someone is drifting on the road and an officer sees it they can already pull the person. If they see they were going it because they were not paying proper attention to driving then they can get them for driving wrecklessly etc. But naming specific actions is not the way.

Feel free to check back with me in 16 years, I bet I stand the same ground... ;) (if I am not already dead from pulling one of my stupid stunts that I might do when no one else is around to be harmed) lol And that is my point. Don't protect me from myself. If I am doing something and it is endangering others then by all means stop me but don't do it because of opinion but because you see the endangerment happening. Don't search me if I have given you no reason but feel free to put other items in that can assess the situation as long as they are not instrusive.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

I have to go with E. on this one, my biggest issue with the whole airport thing is this, it's a private business if the airlines want to profile then they should be allowed to do so. If I owned the planes I would want to protect my interest to the fullest. In my bussiness I profile everyday, and I would assume others do also. I check out each customers ability to pay my bill before I do the work, I charge different amounts to customer that maintain their lift truck fleets better than others. I can't believe that we can't have a system that allows an airline to check me out as a passenger. I would think running a history of travel, or allowing a frequent flyer pass by fingerprints or facial reconition. Scanning a flight attendant that has been employed by the same airline for 20+ years just seems really over the top. We have to be able to dig into the past of all passengers, and give a pass to those that warrant it.

The real problem is that we all have to appear to be even handed, I would much rather be safe, than even handed. The Fruit of Kaboom bomber fit the same profile as the shoe bomber, and they both fit the profile of the 19 bastards that flew planes as weapons on 9-11. The system we are using is very reactive, and that in itself shows that we are behind the curve in actually solving the issue.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

E_HILLMAN wrote:lol, GT I'm not offended at all.
Oh, chit! Now this really pi$$es Me off!
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
G.T.
Contributor

Post by G.T. »

OK.. I'll put in on my calandar.

I still say you will tell your daughter... (16 years from now).. "Honey, you make certain that video chat screen is off before you leave the driveway..."0 :-*

And if your like at our house you wife will gripe when you tell stories how you used to text and take photos and post while driving.

I used to drive down the road writing on a tablet, eating, and talking on a 2way radio... I worked for a courier service and no one was as good and as fast as I was. I'd kill Andrew if I saw him sending a text.

His life is much more inportant to me than that d@mn text.

OK.. I'm off my soap box........... However I've got a post about the airport screening.. but I'll make it over there.

Happy Thanksgiving all.... I'm ready to eat...
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

5.5 years down. :-p
Pinnacle

Post by Pinnacle »

I believe that people are not all the same. Some cannot walk and chew gum at the same time let alone driving and texting or whatever. However, we now all get judged by the lowest common denominator. Some can't do things, therefore nobody should be able to do them. This also pertains to affirmative action programs and school curricula, and sports, with the "participation" trophies. I can think of many other examples but will leave it at that.....
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

13 years in. .No change. :-p

Return to “General Talk”