Well since we don't have any reports from the Lake gang :-(

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Well since we don't have any reports from the Lake gang :-(

Post by E_ »

Here is how my day was blown...

WHEW WHAT A RIDE TODAY

Around 10:50am rode the bike out of Leesburg and went to East Gate Cincy (beautiful ride up there) to get a new back tire and found I needed new back brakes (or would need them soon enough). Left there and headed to the farm stopping in Dry Ridge KY for some Skyline and gas and then on through Sadieville, KY to the Farm by 4:30 to do some fence work and hang a gate then around the back roads back home by 8:15 PM. Didn't intend for the farm work to take so long but it sure did... lol OH well I have been slacking on that for a couple of years and mom and dad have been great to us.
9-18-2010.JPG
9-18-2010.JPG (129.91 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
Stop here if you don't like bishin and bs... lol

Now, why might you ask did I use East Gate Harley that is about 80 miles from my home over Man O War Harley Davidson in Lexington that is only about 25 miles from home?

Well I have given them chance after chance after chance. Their sales people assume you are poor if you come in there wearing office attire (except the day I drove my $48k truck and they kissed my arse...lol) But to hell with that. It should not matter. They have an EXCELLENT parts department but their service departments is hit and miss. They have a girl working there that really knows her way around Buell’s but my bad list for them got longer and longer and longer.

Every time I got my rear tire replaced I noticed it was not long after that my exhaust would rattle. I never really made the connection till later which I will elaborate further down.

I had an issue with the bike shutting off on me with a loud pop and at times not even able to get it started again. Took it in and found out it was just the intake hose was dry rotted and that was the issue. They told me they replaced it (and CHARGED me for it) but then just 2 days later it did it again and I took it back. I must have got a different tech that did not know it was just in since they told me the hose was old and needed replaced. I just grinned and said ok go for it and bring me the old one so I could see it. They did and when they went to ring me up I let the advisor know I was just in before and that I had paid for a new one already and that it was not good that someone was trying to charge me for another. They zeroed the bill and let it be...

Not long after that I noticed that something just looked weird on my bike. Later I figured out the intake cowl was missing and I let them know about that and they said someone else must have worked on the bike and left it off. I let them know they were the only ones that had touched the bike in over a year and I even had a picture from 3 months before that just happened to show it was in place then. They replaced it without cost after MANY MANY calls and e-mails to get their attention.

At the same time I got a new back tire and what would you know but the exhaust came up a week or so broken again... HMMM

Earlier this year I got the exhaust welded again for the third time by a reputable custom welding shop in Lexington and THIS time when I took it in to get a new back tire I made a point to tell them it seemed that my exhaust was getting damaged every time I have had them switch out the back tire. (They were already ODD with me from the intake incident) This time however I made the advisor check the exhaust before they worked on the bike and he made sure it was on good and there were no issues with it. I said I was pretty sure they were jacking the bike up from the bottom and were popping the bottom bracket of the exhaust in the process and also cracking the bend as well. I let them know in my Buell service manual it stated there was a special setup to jack them up and keep from damaging the exhaust. They said they knew and they shrugged it off like I was crazy but stated they would be careful with it and went about their work. They made some jokes about it and I just told them this time it was their baby to deal with.

Then they changed my back tire... I got on the bike and was 20' from pulling out of the parking lot and RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE. I immediately turned around and took it back to the department and showed them and THEN they try to tell me the last weld job was not a good one bla bla bla. (funny they did not say that BEFORE they worked on it when they checked it out.) Anyway some guy from the department said he would weld it up and he got a few NASTY spot welds on it and brought it out and told me the welder ran out of gas but that it was good enough. There was slag everywhere and the bend (flange) was cracked but I just said the hell with it as I was done dealing with their smart a$$ looks on their faces like I was in the wrong and I left. (I guess I should have raised a stink but most of you know how it is when you have had a long work week and you just want to get home).

Anyway I rode it for 2 days and on the second day the weld the Man O War Harley guy did on the back bracket came COMPLETEY off and the exhaust was just hanging by the front bolts. I limped my way home and I had my neighbor (who built and owns the semi famous pulling truck Desperado) weld it for me and he said this time it was bad enough that he was pretty sure this was the last time it could be welded. He did a pretty good job on it IMO but I knew I did not feel like buying a new exhaust for my bike just yet so today that is why my bike went to East Gate Harley. But not before I did send the GM at Man O War Harley an e-mail and let him know of the issues. I never got a reply and since I did not get a very good response from the service advisor PLUS the fact that I just felt out of place around them and just did not trust them anymore no response from the GM and M.O.W Harley was the final straw. When my back tire started wearing thin last month I called a few Harley shops around Cincy and East Gate ended up on top of the list.
They were great on the phone and even better in person. EVERY person in that shop went out of their way to make sure I was comfortable and that I had anything I needed. I met the General Manager I guess 4 or 5 times while I was in there and did not even know it since he was just like everyone else. He never said who he was but someone else pointed him out when I commented to him that everyone was super friendly and not in a fake way. He said it was a family shop and that was why and that is when he pointed him out.

So not only did I have a BEAUTIFUL ride up, I didn't even feel bad about dropping $271 in their shop today and after the 80+ mile ride back home I never heard a rattle one. Everything looked great.

Since I know MANY of you have Harleys I wanted to share this with you. If you are on your way south to the Lake and are too far south of East Gate try pushing on a little further to the shop in London as my brother in law said thus far they have not been a bad shop either but for me I doubt I will EVER be back to Man O War Harley unless the GM of that store makes up for it and there is no weirdness from the staff.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Re: Well since we don't have any reports from the Lake gang :-(

Post by imaposer »

I had the exact opposite experience with eastgate harley buell when I was ready to drop the money and buy a uly three years ago. I'm glad to hear things have changed there, or at least you didn't get the same treatment I did when I mentioned I was interested in the buell.
I'd get in to a long winded post like yours about it, but seeing how I"m sitting at the lake I'm not in the mood for a rant. ;)
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

LMAO, well you might still need to share with me. However they did say the current GM is the son of the past one and that the atmosphere was part of what he wanted to see. but if there are things I should be weary of by all means leter rip when you are ready. ;)
DMS

Post by DMS »

I saw that slick tire pic...you was kinda pushing your luck there wasnt you maypop
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

lol, normally I don't let them get that thin but the service tech said those tires have a few more layers before the pop and though they can not professionally state it should be ok he said he didn't feel I was near any harm riding on it for the trip up. They go from tread to no tread pretty quick. The tires for Buell Blasts only last me about 2,800 miles with tread and then another 500-800 without before they start showing the underlayers. Normally I try to plan for every 3k but I was between dealerships per the note above.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

B-) The Lake Gang was busy B-) :p Missed ya! :ymhug:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

More details to follow but here is an e-mail from the "now" Service Manager. If this guy runs the service department like he did the parts department it could very well save me some extra miles on getting service. The parts department was the one and only department that always had consistent excellent service.

service concern
Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:45 AM
To: e_hillman

Hi E, I called yesterday and left you a message about your e-mail to our new GM. There has been a lot of recent change over here @ the store. I think that you will be satisfied with some of it. The service manager, both writers & the warranty manager have all left. They moved me from the parts manager position to the service dept. I was aware of the missing parts problem that you had but not of the other problems that were going on. I hope that you know that I don’t play the games that have happened in the past in the service dept and that customer satisfaction is my #1 priority. I would like to hear from you and let’s see if we can resolve the old issues that we have so that you can feel welcome @ our dealership and gain your trust back. I look forward to talking to you soon. Thanks Lee
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I just noticed I never updated this...

Lee at Man O War Harley who was the Parts Dept Manager and is now the service manager called me up and had me bring my bike in. They ended up giving me a new exhause pipe (not really the look/sound/performance of the one I wanted but it was still a very nice high dollar performance pipe).

Anyway, They have done some regular maintenance for me since and all has been good thus far. Of course as long as he is over that department I would expect that since I had a great experience with him when I ordered parts.

Return to “General Talk”