Friends of Lake Cumberland History Lesson 101

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

raptorlvr
Marina/Ramp: Jamestown Marina

Friends of Lake Cumberland History Lesson 101

Post by raptorlvr »

Below is a short history of the Friends of Lake Cumberland Organization who organize the annual Lake Cumberland Shoreline Cleanup...

The Friends of Lake Cumberland was formed in 1990 by a group of concerned citizens to help maintain the natural beauty of Lake Cumberland through the removal of debris and litter from the land surrounding Lake Cumberland.

We are a non-profit, 501 (c) group of volunteers interested in maintaining the beauty of our public lands. We are ordinary, everyday people who either live in or visit the Lake Cumberland area, but most of all we’re people who are willing to give our time and effort to this worthwhile endeavor.

On September 18, 2010, we will be sponsoring a lake wide cleanup that will involve several hundred volunteers, who will pick up thousands of bags of trash off the shoreline.

Last year (2009) the one-day event attracted 567 participants who collected 2,510 bags of trash, and 779 tires.

Since 1990, the Annual Lake Cumberland Cleanup has removed from the shoreline of Lake Cumberland 87,011 bags of trash, and 16,149 tires. Volunteers put forth great effort toward this local community event.

The annual clean-up is our signature event however we continue our effort of removing litter through cleaning up illegal dumpsites year around, especially during the fall and winter months when the vegetation has died out. The Friends of Lake Cumberland pay contractors to clean-up illegal dumpsites on the public lands surrounding the lake.

This group of volunteers always welcomes new volunteers to help the day of the cleanup! We need volunteers to not only go out on a boats collecting the trash but also help is needed at the launch ramps to help with registration and help unload the trash, count the trash bags and tires and help with the picnic festivities.

Anyone interested in volunteering at the State Park launch ramp and/or picnic please contact Debbie @ State Dock 270-343-2525.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Friends of Lake Cumberland History Lesson 101

Post by E_ »

great event and thanks for promoting it raptorlvr, also thanks for all the updates today! Too bad there are not some key sites that a few well placed cameras could start catching people for prosecution on this issue.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Friends of Lake Cumberland History Lesson 101

Post by E_ »

A little something that I wonder if it would catch on...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/218886404926929/
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.

Return to “General Talk”