Elementary child left on bus until 9p

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Lisa
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Jamestown

Elementary child left on bus until 9p

Post by Lisa »

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... five+hours

Grant it, 9p is excessive, however when did the everyone become victims and absolve themselves of all accountability? We have 100k students in Jefferson Co and one of the most superior transportation systems in the nation. When Jake was in 1st grade (he's 20 now) I knew what bus he was on, arrival time, and departure time. I copied this info on an index card along with my contact info and attached it to his backpack. Maybe a little nerdy, but he and I both knew where he was to be. Last year JCPS tried bracelets but parents tore them off, this year each school was to give color coded lanyards, but if your student doesn't know where in the hell he is supposed to be, then the lanyard isn't fool proof. This particular child lives 13 miles from the school, sat in the office until 6p as he didnt know what bus he was to be on, then a driver came back from their run and took the child to where they thought he was to go. Whe wasn't the parent calling the school before 6p?? We pay UPS drivers more than bus drivers, and bus drivers aren't allowed to discipline kids. God forbid, you ask a kid to stop fighting or cussing and you would never put them off the bus. Thats what we were threatened with....walking home to the a$$whoopin your daddy would give ya for misbehaving on the bus. But I digress....

Sorry gang....but this is one of those things that burns my butt like a 3 foot flame. Had to get it off my chest! I need to take a boat ride and relax!! Back to your regular scheduled programming! :D
Dehydrated
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs

Re: Elementary child left on bus until 9p

Post by Pac22 »

All of this "restructuring" in the name of diversity is all a bunch of BS if you ask me. It's absurd that a child has to go to a school across town just because of color. Especially when there is probably a school a couple of miles away. Didn't take a genius to see this was going to cause problems. Sounds like one of the most idiotic thing they have done recently.
imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Post by imaposer »

I still don't understand why it is the school districts job to get the kids to school in the first place. Why is busing expected?
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

How else would they get there? I think you would be shocked to find how many of these parents don't even own a car. Or much less, have a job. So I guess it's better than the kid not getting to/from school at all.
That's what always chapped my a$$. You can have a kid but you don't have to be able to support said kid. Our tax dollars will do it for you. X( I compare it to not having to have any boating experience at all, yet anyone can go out and buy a 150mph boat. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it?

Whew I almost got political there for a minute. That was a close one. =))
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

=))

...but still a good point /:)
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

:-o What??? A 5yr old being bussed across town to go to an elementary school for a special ART Program??? Give me a break, this is kindergarten, just how talented can your kid be??? This is all wrong from all points. 1st, the school district should be fired for allowing such crap and the mother should be knocked upside the head for making her 5 yr. old ride a bus 13 miles at her age. =;

My son was in 1st grade - 6 yrs old when he missed the bus stop to get off the bus and the bus driver would not let him off at the next stop a block away (there was an adult at each stop that knew all of the kids). I had a hard time finding him, (before the days of cell phones) but when we did, the driver told him he would have to ride till the very end. This was during major bussing for race and inner city kids, not the arts. Needless to say, I never let my kids ride a bus again but I was fortunate to be able to do that, I made my own work schedule. I hate to hear these stories, it's a very scary and painful thing to hear about.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

13 miles too far? =))

To elementry school it was a 25 mile bus ride for me and then we I moved to middle and high school it was another 7 miles on top of that.

Wusses :p
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

E_HILLMAN wrote:13 miles too far? =))

To elementry school it was a 25 mile bus ride for me and then we I moved to middle and high school it was another 7 miles on top of that.

WTF! They let you ride a bus? Back in the day you woulda walked! Who's the wuss? :D :D

BTW...why aren't ya havin' the baby instead of messin' wif this chit? :-o ;;)
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

she is just laying there with the monitors runnin and going in and out of sleep so this is what I am doing...

That is because your "day" was before horses! =))
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

FUE! :ymtongue: :ymtongue:

Yee Haw! Another successful hi-jack! =)) =))
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

re3too wrote:FUE! :ymtongue: :ymtongue:

/:) I'm going to have to have LC or Faster put you 2 under review!!! =)) =)) =)) :p
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

Normally no, I did the same thing myself.... :p trust me, bus drivers are not what they used to be.... and yes, for a lone 5yr old with no other siblings and apparently no other adults in charge, that is too much. (we'll see if your 5yr old gets on a bus by herself without you knowing who is in charge =; ;) )
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

katie wrote:

/:) I'm going to have to have LC or Faster put you 2 under review!!! =)) =)) =)) :p
Sure won't happen by me. Why would I ever want to spoil the fun of this site and make it like.......................................oh, never mind =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
LC addict
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: JRM

Post by LC addict »

FasterThanYou wrote:
katie wrote:

Sure won't happen by me. Why would I ever want to spoil the fun of this site and make it like.......................................oh, never mind =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Count me out on that too! If every thread stayed specifically on topic and no one ever disagreed it sure would be boring here !lol
My greatest accomplishments call me Mom!
LC addict
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: JRM

Post by LC addict »

Poor E, I'll bet when he missed the bus he had to walk to school on a gravel road that was uphill both ways and he didn't have shoes :ymsigh:
My greatest accomplishments call me Mom!
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

His was a short bus =)) =)) =)) =))

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

=)) =)) =)) =)) =))
jazzgirl831

Post by jazzgirl831 »

ah, heck....to hear E tell it, he didn't even have any feet :))
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I had feet, just no legs!

I told you guys I used to be even shorter! lol
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:I had feet, just no legs!
Like Hank Hill's dad? Hill, Hillman. It all makes sense now. =)) =)) =))
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

If you had feet but no legs, then you couldn't have walked downhill because your a$$ would drag. By the way, have you changed a diaper yet? Just sayin'.............
jazzgirl831

Post by jazzgirl831 »

I used to be shorter too... we all did ;)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Lock5 wrote:By the way, have you changed a diaper yet? Just sayin'.............

I DID IT! AND DID NOT BARF! I changed her first diaper! #:-s
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:
Lock5 wrote:By the way, have you changed a diaper yet? Just sayin'.............

I DID IT! AND DID NOT BARF! I changed her first diaper! #:-s

That's great E, I have changed several hundred of Macie's so get used to it. =))
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Lock5 »

Matter of fact I can change on of Macie's while riding down the river in the pontoon, and not even slow the boat down. That's talent. By the way, what the hell is this thread about anyway............ :-o
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Lock5 wrote: By the way, what the hell is this thread about anyway............ :-o
Who cares? :D :-* No POst POlice here! L-) :ymapplause:

Return to “General Talk”