I Purchased a new Tundra Platinum addition this Month

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Dolphin
Marina/Ramp: lake Cumberland

I Purchased a new Tundra Platinum addition this Month

Post by Dolphin »

Well, time for a new vehicle again ! Pay now ? Or pay later !

Why the Tundra ??? Love the 1500 Chevy, the dodge Hemi is great :ymhug:

I found Two Pearl white King ranch F-150 Fords that were Just For me !!!

But in the end ? the tundra was the Deal for me

Now we do have fords and Chevy trucks up on the farm so It is not like I do not drive those also !
Last edited by Dolphin on Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: I Purchased a new Tundra Platinum addition this Month

Post by E_ »

Wish I would have not opened this thread up. Another sharp pain in the side to America. :( The Ford's in Louisville are better vehicles and support our country by keeping company proffits in the USA.

Oh well I guess we all have our moments. [-(

Besides your Tundra is built elsewhere and assembled in Texas my Mexicans... lol
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Dolphin

Post by Dolphin »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Wish I would have not opened this thread up. Another sharp pain in the side to America. :( The Ford's in Louisville are better vehicles and support our country by keeping company proffits in the USA.

Besides your Tundra is built elsewhere and assembled in Texas my Mexicans... lol
( THERE ARE NO Facts to any of your thoughts E. ) Mythical rumors =))

and How many drive by your home every day going to and from Toyota ???

where do they spend their paycheck ? where do they pay taxes ? that go to YOUR School and County

What would Georgetown Ky Look Like with out Toyota ???

I assure YOU E. IT will NEVER Look Like Detroit ??? GOD Forbid
Dolphin

Poorist citys versis healty, vibrant citys ???

Post by Dolphin »

If You Look at the Post below Listing the POOREST city's in America ???

You can see what KEEPING American Tax dollars at HOME Does ???? Corrupt Politicians that Sell Out the People

DETROIT is a great Example of UAW. American Industrial Mobsters and Corruption

You Tell Me E.

Do You want YOUR baby Born in a Hospital In Detroit Michigan ???

Or Georgetown, Lexington, Or Marysville Ohio ? Home of Honda ????

90 % of all the food I eat is Harvested By Mexicans and American Farmers !!!

So I am Proud to Drive a Vehicle assembled by Texas Farmers and Mexicans !!!
imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Post by imaposer »

Are you really saying you wanted to buy the chevy, dodge, or ford, but the fact that they are union made made you decide to settle for the tundra?

I'm thinking it's more likely you looked, possible test drove them all then decided the tundra was the one for you, and the fact that it wasn't union made had nearly zip to do with the decision.
You just decided to post the union bashing BS as a troll.

E_HILLMAN wrote:Wish I would have not opened this thread up.

Nah. Nice to know where some people stand. Just keep notes.
Dolphin

Re: we have owned many Toyotas over the past 20

Post by Dolphin »

and all are in the Family someplace !!! still running strong !

I also Have a 1998 Dodge Durango at the top of the ramp with 297,000 Miles that I purchased New.
I just spent $1,000 on the front end, steering shaft and Front brakes, rotors and New Calipers ! Never have touched the Engine but we keep everything well maintained. I use this 98 vehicle to put the boats in and out and for a spare Vehicle.

I also drive it, the Durango to Pa. and New Jersey a few times each winter to visit the children and grandchildren !!!

( No, at this time in History !!! )

YES, I have a right to My Political opinion !

There IS a reason that ! A non Union shop ! will seldom ? If ever ? Hire an EX. Union Laborer !
Last edited by Dolphin on Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dolphin

Re: we have owned many Toyotas over the past 20

Post by Dolphin »

Dolphin wrote:and all are in the Family someplace !!! still running strong !

I also Have a 1998 Dodge Durango at the top of the ramp with 297,000 Miles that I purchased New.
I just spent $1,000 on the front end, steering shaft and Front brakes, rotors and New Calipers ! Never have touched the Engine but we keep everything well maintained. I use this 98 vehicle to put the boats in and out and for a spare Vehicle.

I also drive it to New Jersey a few times each winter to visit the children and grandchildren !!! So even with the Miles, and many are OFF road miles, the 98 runs like a new vehicle.

( No, at this time in History !!! )

and Sharon will vouch for me !

I PURCHASED the TUNDRA to Make a Anti UA-non-workers Union STATEMENT and I am proud of it

YES, I have a right to My Political opinion !

and I Chose where I wanted to spend $50,000 and what I wanted to drive for many years to Come !!! To Be able to Make that Statement =))

There IS a reason that ! A non Union shop ! will seldom ? If ever ? Hire an EX. Union Laborer !
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Dolphin wrote:
E_HILLMAN wrote:Wish I would have not opened this thread up. Another sharp pain in the side to America. :( The Ford's in Louisville are better vehicles and support our country by keeping company proffits in the USA.

( THERE ARE NO Facts to any of your thoughts E. ) Mythical rumors =))

and How many drive by your home every day going to and from Toyota ???

where do they spend their paycheck ? where do they pay taxes ? that go to YOUR School and County

What would Georgetown Ky Look Like with out Toyota ???

I assure YOU E. IT will NEVER Look Like Detroit ??? GOD Forbid
Toyota is not non union by mistake. There are major scare tactics on Toyota's part to keep it that way. I do not rely on Toyota for my life. Companies such as Lexmark, Trane, the Univeristy of KY, Linkbelt, Jiff, ACS, St. Joseph Hospital, Central Baptist, UPS, Amazon.com etc can pull that weight. Plus if there was not a Toyota who is to say there would not be a Ford plant in G-town? Georgetown KY would look pretty much the same except more of the stores would be on the West side of the town still. Some towns suffered when Toyota came in but at least those towns had American companies like 3M that have been taking care of them for many decades.

Facts: (look them up)
1) Major Fact -Everytime someone I know buys a foreign vehicle it HURTs me in a major way.
2) Fact I really wish I would have never seen that Dolphin had purchased one thus yes I wish I had not opened the thread
3) Fact - The Ford's build in Louisville are better vehicles. You can take that to the bank. I live in a area where the terrain is pretty rough and where trucks get a major workout on hills in gulleys etc. while towing and hauling and I assure you the Fords, Chevy's and Dodges handle it better than the Toyota Trucks. But for a old retired guy you will never noticed the difference and you will enjoy the car like ride. But don't fool yourself on the quality. I have gotten to witness many literally break when they tried to keep up with their American counterparts.
4) FACT - It is true Toyota ASSEMBLES lots of the vehicles it sells in the US in the US. That is because Toyota manufacturing takes place worldwide with final assembly usually being in the country where they are sold in order to avoid shipping entire cars across the ocean. Parts manufacturing are spread across the world from places such as Thailand to Africa. So when you get your Toyota, the final papers will usually say it is built in the country you live in however, it is assembled from parts across the globe.

The manufacturing of the Tundra was consolidated to San Antonia Texas in 2008. A very large percentage of the workforce of that Plant is Mexican.
5) FACT - more profit from Ford goes to the USA than the Toyota

6) Facts
Toyota (A foreign company) has received a little over a billion USD in federal, state, and local government tax subsidies and incentives including:
$323.9 million in subsidies for the plant in Tupelo from Mississippi taxpayers.
$371 million in subsidies for the Georgetown plant from Kentucky taxpayers.
$227.5 million in subsidies and tax incentives for the Tundra plant by Local, Texas, and U.S. taxpayers.
$125 million (Canadian) in subsidies to help cover research, training and infrastructure costs.
$29 million in subsidies for the Huntsville Engine plant by Alabama taxpayers

More facts for ya
Employees in the US?
Toyota has 860 Alabama, 4500 Indiana, 2,800 Texas, 7,400 Kentucky (less than even the University of KY's 10,500), the Missippi plant is also owned by Subaru so lets count 1k to be nice. Anyway all toll Toyota Claims to employ 35,000 employees in NORTH America (not just the USA as many of these jobs are in Mexico and Canada.)

GM Who employees around 204,000 employees (30,000 less world wide than the largest toyota unless you use other figures that say GM has 252,000). Has around 68,500 US employees.

Ford has 176,000 employees with 87,700 US employees and Dodge 58,000 North America

So WHO DO YOU SUPPORT?
36,000 US employees - Toyota - http://www.leftlanenews.com 24,660 http://www.toyoland.com/toyota/plants.html
68,500 US employees - General Motors (not counting the HUGE Supply chain from other US suppliers)(well over 150k employees in the US just 8 years ago)
87,700 US employees - Ford Motor Company
58,000 North America - Chrysler/Dodge

You ask about having a baby in Detroit? lol How about Louisville at BHE with FORD employment! Gotta Beat San Antonio any day. ;) But I can have her in Lexington and it is not because of Toyota since the Hospital we will be at has been there since the 50s and stands on its own. Think about it just the Univeristy of KY on its own accounts for 1/3 of Toyotas TOTAL North America Employee count and more than that on its US count. ;) You should have done more home work before truck shopping. Guess you are losing your touch... lol
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Its there you just have to shop for it. My wifes Durango for the year we got it was 98% US parts, labor, construction mostly in Pennsylvania. :p

If people do their homework they will find US made by US companies. My Lawnmower 100% US. My parents mower - 97% (because of a couple electronic componets being made in Germany on it)

My Clothes I have on right now 100% US material and labor. Its out there and I love this country enough to keep looking. However I have had a hard time to find us a affordable replacement bagless vacuum made in the USA. I have found some LED lights but none that are non commercial but I keep looking and writing letters.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Ahhh to cancel Dolphin's Tundra purchase we just got a new Ford truck/Van for our department
:p

22MPG and all the room we need.
IMG_20100922_145435.jpg
IMG_20100922_145435.jpg (26.98 KiB) Viewed 11703 times
IMG_20100922_145530.jpg
IMG_20100922_145530.jpg (23.26 KiB) Viewed 11703 times
IMG_20100922_145619.jpg
IMG_20100922_145619.jpg (28.83 KiB) Viewed 11703 times
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

Kinda looks like you'll be riding on the short bus =)) =)) =))

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
imaposer
Better Member

Post by imaposer »

um, where was it made? :-?
Jaybird
Better Member

Post by Jaybird »

$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

WOO HOO! Things just keep gettin better. John P has a Spare bedroom, and now Dolphin has a Spare truck.So now I have a place to stay and a truck to drive. Does anybody have a Spare boat??? Thats all i'm missin! =))
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

I got rid of the Tahoe a couple of weeks ago and went for the Ford Expedition. I really like it so far.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

imaposer wrote:um, where was it made? :-?

This particualr hybrid one was assembled in Indiana... B-) $pare Change should like that!
crwky

Post by crwky »

E how are you doing with US made baby products and toys? :-?
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

It is HARD as hell. I bet I have spent 10 hours or more in the internet at night trying to find stuff. And there is a lot of label checking. Every once and I while I settle for something French or German but I refuse to place something made in China in my baby's mouth or on her body.

For bottles the Dr. Brown bottles are AWESOME bottles and are made here.
http://handi-craft.com/products/bottles.htm Made in the USA :ymcowboy:
crwky

Post by crwky »

We used Dr. Browns also they are good ones. Let me know how you do with the toys and car seats......
FYI my dad makes some nice tire swings / horse swings I think he could get it to all US products if you have not found any toys for her by the time she is three she should be able to enjoy it.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Praise the lord, ordering another Ford Transit hybrid for work, Dolphin last I heard was buying a NICE Ford Truck, and I'm contemplating a Moraine, Ohio made Duramax. Really wanted a Ford Superduty but I have heard of some issues with their new diesel platform. Would love to hear from people with newer ones to see if that is the case.
imaposer
Better Member

Post by imaposer »

Do you ever have the pleasure of driving those transits for work, or you just order them for other people to drive?
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I drive them every now and then. If it is available I drive it. Louisville, Danville, Corbin, Richmond, and all around town. I don't know how the first one is still going as it I have seen the guys in it and they do not slow down for speedbumps etc. :-o :ymsigh:

From what I understand it is basically a ford focus with a van body. Seats are comfortable but I feel like I am in a fish bowl. lol
imaposer
Better Member

Post by imaposer »

I was downsized from an E250 work van with the heavy duty package to one of these things. It is a lousy work van. To be honest, it is quite possibly the biggest piece of $h1t I have ever had the displeasure to drive. It was at the dealer 14 times before 30K miles for service work. I have learned to just accept and live with how crappy of a vehicle it is as I figure I'll be driving it for another three years, but I would swap it out with anything the boss offers me if something comes available.
And it might have had some conversion work done on it in Indiana, but last I checked, they were all still being made in Turkey.
Edit- I see they are now making them in Romania as well. :-s
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: old Alli-1

Post by Nervous Wreck »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Praise the lord, ordering another Ford Transit hybrid for work, Dolphin last I heard was buying a NICE Ford Truck, and I'm contemplating a Moraine, Ohio made Duramax. Really wanted a Ford Superduty but I have heard of some issues with their new diesel platform. Would love to hear from people with newer ones to see if that is the case.
'E', a friend of mine has a later model Ford Superduty that developed leaking cyl heads. (diesel)
He told me they had to jack the 'body' up to get the heads off!! :-o
I've been a mechanic/tech all my life...talk about a piss poor design! IMO

BTW, what's up with the Dodge? (ref: above)

added: the Duramax is a hell of a truck, and it has the 'Allison' transmission!
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

If I buy another Dodge they are affiliated with Fiat. I have been told the RAM line is now on its own and is still USA but I have not been able to confirm. My Dodge was the last before the Fiat stakegrab.

Imaposer they hybrid is supposed to be made in Indiana. Ours is stamped by Indiana in several places. Like I said it has around 60k on it and no issues. Maybe you got a dud. Or you just drive like Ivan Stewart. lol
imaposer
Better Member

Post by imaposer »

Nervous Wreck wrote: 'E', a friend of mine has a later model Ford Superduty that developed leaking cyl heads. (diesel)
He told me they had to jack the 'body' up to get the heads off!! :-o
I've been a mechanic/tech all my life...talk about a piss poor design! IMO
Not a piss poor design. The cab comes off very easy, and quickly. For a ford shop that is set up for it with the lift and everything, it makes it very simple to work on. It might not be friendly for the back yard mechanic to work on, but they aren't worried about them, now are they? ;)
E_HILLMAN wrote: Imaposer they hybrid is supposed to be made in Indiana. Ours is stamped by Indiana in several places. Like I said it has around 60k on it and no issues. Maybe you got a dud. Or you just drive like Ivan Stewart. lol
Yeah, I might be a little rough on it. O:-) Like I said, I went from an E250 to this, and I have to deal with a leasing company where every repair and replacement part is bought with cheapest price as the controlling factor. But, the thing is cheaply made and it shows. Things like how awful the defroster works, how the windshield washer nozzles just spray a solid stream in two spots on the windshield, the fact that there are two arrows on the dash showing which side the gas filler is on, and they point to different sides of the van.....
as far as the indiana thing, being bored, I've spent a few minutes googling about them. I can't find anything online saying they are made anywhere but Turkey and Romania. I also didn't know that ford assembles every one of them as passenger vans with windows and back seats, then changes them to the cargo setup once here. Why? To avoid import tariffs on cargo vans......
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Ours has windows and middle seats. It is a Focus with a vanbody.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I guess they just put those indiana stickers and plates on tehm for the fun of it. lol Maybe they made them here then started making them elsewhere and now plan to make here again? From what I understood only the Hybrid model we bought was made in the USA at the time we got our first one.
Ford plants in Wayne, Michigan and Louisville, Kentucky will be retooled to build cars on that architecture, meaning the that Transit could join them
The next one should be here in 2 weeks.
weedbeater17
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Cabin that overlooks Lee's Ford

Post by weedbeater17 »

I have a 2011 F-450 Super duty Lariat. Rides like a cadilac and hauls like a semi. I had purchased new super duties every three years since 1999 till 2008. The 2006 6 liter really pissed me off and then the Ford district rep really sent me over the edge. Purchased a 2008 Chevolet 3500 with the duramax. Had several friends who have the duramax and nothing but praise for them. Mine was not one to brag about. Low fuel mileage, didn't pull as well as the Ford (even with the Turbo issues) and just did not like the truck. I was taking the Chevolet back to the dealer for battery work when across the street they were unloading the 2011 Ford. Pulled in and traded trucks. I have heard of a few issues with the new Fords, but so far this one has been great. Hope it stays that way.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Thanks weedbeater. I would love to hear more feedback on the Ford. I like the looks of it the best. The 2012 and newer Duramaxs are supposed to be the shiznit but I like the overall SuperDuty truck better. Plus I'm hoping it is still made in KY.
E_
Site Admin

Re: I Purchased a new Chevy Silverado

Post by E_ »

Guess I never closed off my last post with what I did..
New Silverado 2500 Duramax... So Far Nervous is right. The Duramax/Allison seems to be a helluva setup.
Truck and Boat 12-21-2012.jpg
Truck and Boat 12-21-2012.jpg (52.27 KiB) Viewed 10110 times
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

Oh my, I could tow everything in your picture without breaking a sweat on the Cummins. Those pretty boy maxipad trucks are all for show....... B-)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I've had every H.O. cummins engine model made offered by Dodge since 2000 and I can tell you the Duramax gets the job done and unlike the last Dodge it has not needed a tranny, u bolts, or locking up brakes in the 14k like the last new Dodge I had did... They WERE great trucks. Now it is a toss up. I was NOT happy to have a +50k truck and NOT have any support from the manufacturer. Since then I have learned a friend of mine had the EXACT same year truck and exact same issue. He did get his fixed but that is because he had another shop verify the problem and send Chrysler a letter detailing it.

Heres to hoping for better. The point of my posts in this thread is not Dodge vs Chevy vs Ford but more so why buy a TOY when there are better options from Louisville and Michigan.

Return to “General Talk”