I don't understand this part of the law...

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

I don't understand this part of the law...

Post by E_ »

http://www1.lex18.com/news/woman-charge ... t-and-run/

Posted: May 31, 2010 5:28 AM
Updated: May 31, 2010 8:03 AM

Lexington police arrested a woman shortly after a hit and run early Monday morning.

Investigators say Tamara Schafer, 47, was driving a Toyota along Nicholasville Road hit a car at the Rosemont Garden Intersection around 3 a.m. Officers caught up with her shortly thereafter at Clays Mill and Blue Ash. Police arrested Schafer and charged her with DUI and several other charges.

Officers also arrested Randolph Cobb, 36, a passenger in Schafer's car, and charged him with alcohol intoxication.

There is no word on the condition of the driver of the car the woman hit.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I understand the dumb woman getting cited for DUI and hit and run, etc. BUT WHY does the passenger get charged with AI? Is it illegal to have consumed Alcohol? Why do they sell it if so? How do people get home from parties etc. if they don't ride with someone?

A man who works with me got a call from his son one night that he and his college buddies had been out partying and all of them needed a ride home. (THEY DID THE RIGHT THING). He then goes and picks them up in his Suburban and is taking each of them home like a magical night time school bus and before he can get the first one dropped off he is pulled over for suspicion of intoxication. They tested him and found out he had not consumed ANY alcohol and then proceeded to give each passenger a P.I. charge. Took them to jail and their parents had to come bail them out.

Argh.

Sorry just had to vent.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
JabezBoy
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs Marina

Re: I don't understand this part of the law...

Post by JabezBoy »

Assuming there is not more to the story and all the facts are true, those were all cases that were ripe for a jury trial. I think it is called "jury nullification" wherein the jury ignores the law and does the right thing. Now, if all the boys were 14, 15, 16, etc., there might be more to the story here.
"Boats - Vessels of Freedom, Harbours of Healing - Boats"
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: I don't understand this part of the law...

Post by E_ »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqEXTVe7MCQ

Why do I feel this is a bad idea in Ky
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.

Return to “General Talk”