Check Those Trailer Lights

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Check Those Trailer Lights

Post by E_ »

http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/050205b.as ... 05C122C437

Don’t Let Faulty Trailer Lights
Ruin Your Lake Boating Trip
Press Release
May 2, 2005 Contact: Lee McClellan
(800) 852-0942 ext. 330

Frankfort, KY - It is a Thursday night in May and you are wearing shorts in the evening without discomfort for the first time of the year. Your family is excitedly packing up fishing poles, tackle boxes, floating rafts, water skis, sunscreen and making sandwiches for the first lake weekend trip of the year.

You charged the batteries on the boat, filled the tank with gas and hooked up the "rabbit ears" to see if the engine would fire. It did on the third crank. The hard part is over now, you just have to check the trailer lights and all systems are go.

You back up the truck to the boat trailer, put the trailer tongue on the towing ball and plug in the lights. You open the door and turn on your truck lights to see if the running lights are working on the trailer. Nothing happens. You hit the brakes and one red brake light works. You start your truck and check the turn signals. One works, the other doesn’t.

"It is probably a ground problem," said Benjy Kinman, director of fisheries for the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources, who’s fixed a myriad of boat and horse trailer problems through the years. "Many problems with trailer lights come from a poor ground."

Check the white wire coming from the wiring harness off your boat trailer and to see if it is snugly ground to the trailer. Make sure the screw or bolt that holds the ground to the trailer hasn’t fallen out or broken off. Check for rust and corrosion between the ground and trailer. Rub the ground area with sand paper or coarse steel wool and reattach the ground wire to the trailer. This often fixes the problem.

Make sure the trunk connector (the trailer plug coming from the towing vehicle) is ground properly to your towing vehicle. This ground can corrode, get knocked loose or get torn off when off-roading during hunting season.

Many don’t realize the connection from the towing ball to the trailer tongue also makes a ground for the trailer. Clean any rust or grime from under the cup on the trailer tongue where the towing ball connects. If the chrome is worn off the trailer ball and it is rusty, it may need to be replaced to make a good ground.

Check the trailer bulbs to see if they are blown. Often, small bulbs won’t make any noise when you shake them or it doesn’t look like the filament is burned through, but they are still blown.

"Bulbs for your trailer lights are inexpensive," Kinman explained. "If you are having problems with any of your lights, replace the bulbs. That may be the fix you need."

It is a good idea to always unplug your trailer before launching your boat so the cool water doesn’t blow your warm trailer light bulbs. Do this even if the manufacturer of your trailer lights say they are submersible. The temperature change may cause them to blow and the submersible trailer lights often allow water into the light assembly, regardless of their claims.

If none of these fixes works, then test the plug coming from the tow vehicle. There is an inexpensive plug tester available at auto parts stores that you insert into the plug coming from your tow vehicle. Lights on the plug tester glow for towing lights, each turn signal and brake lights. If the lights on the tester don’t flash for one or more of these functions, there is a problem with the plug coming from the tow vehicle.

Often, a fuse has blown. Check the fuses on your tow vehicle (your vehicle owners manual should indicate which fuse covers each electrical function). Modern vehicles not only possess a fuse box under the dash, but they have another one under the hood in the engine compartment. Check the fuses in both fuse boxes. Replace the blown fuses.

If your plug works fine, you replaced the bulbs on the trailer lights and checked all of your grounds, their may be a cut, nick, short or other problem in the trailer’s wiring itself. If the wiring for your trailer runs along the outside, inspect to make sure the wiring isn’t cut or torn or the insulation is worn through and showing bare wires. You can patch cuts, tears or worn spots with shrink-wrap electrical connectors.

If the wiring runs through the trailer, you may need to rewire it. Many boat owners who use their boats regularly rewire their trailer every few seasons. Most trailer rewiring kits are under $20.

This sounds like an intimidating job, but it is relatively easy. Read the instructions for the rewiring kit and make sure to line up the correct set of wires for each side of the trailer. Then, cut off the plug that attaches to the tow vehicle and strip off an inch of insulation of the trailer wires.

Take the stripped off old trailer wires and wrap them tightly around the new trailer wires (they are usually pre-stripped). Make sure to match the correct old trailer wires with the correct new wires from the rewiring kit (for example, make sure to attach the brown/yellow wires off the trailer with the brown/yellow wires from the rewiring kit). Tightly wrap black electrical tape around these connections to make sure they don’t snag on anything inside the trailer.

Go to the back of the trailer and cut the old wires that lead to the lights. Also cut off the wires leading to the yellow clearance lights along the side of the trailer. Gently pull the wires you just cut to pull the new wires through the trailer. Make sure the new wires you just attached are pulling through cleanly. Continue to pull out the old wires until you get to the black electrical tape of the connection you made from the old trailer wires to the new wires from the rewiring kit. Unwrap this connection. Connect the new wires to the lights with shrink-wrap electrical connectors.

Do the same procedure to the other side of the trailer. Splice in the yellow courtesy lights to the brown wire of the wiring harness you just installed (the shrink wrap electrical connectors and wire splicers usually come with the rewiring kit). That is it, you’ve now rewired your trailer.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
DMS

Re: Check Those Trailer Lights

Post by DMS »

or do like the other 90%...just dont use turn signals, or use your left hand to signal your intentions (still legal).
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

You can avoid all those problems if you do as I do. I have Kate ride in the boat and give hand signals to the cars behind us. This way i can avoid any repairs that are needed. :D :-o #-o
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Spare Change wrote:You can avoid all those problems if you do as I do. I have Kate ride in the boat and give hand signals to the cars behind us. This way i can avoid any repairs that are needed. :D :-o #-o
OMG! I've seen her before and didn't know who it was! Why does the middle finger come up so much? :-o :D =))
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) you guys are whack! re3too, he would put me back there if I was stoopid enough to do it!
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

TTT, don't forget your trailer lights!

Checked mine before dropping it off to have the impeller replaced and the trailer bearings checked and repacked. (did forget to tell him that if he launches it to definitely unplug them since the passenger sides ones are not sealed and will blow the bulb.)
MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

E_HILLMAN wrote:TTT, don't forget your trailer lights!

Checked mine before dropping it off to have the impeller replaced and the trailer bearings checked and repacked. (did forget to tell him that if he launches it to definitely unplug them since the passenger sides ones are not sealed and will blow the bulb.)

Consider that "HE" has gotten the message! ;)

Don
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Good, cause me had done forgot.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

MarineAssist wrote:

Don
You mean E uses your services! SHHHHHH! :D :D (Uh, did ya get my check yet?)
MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

re3too wrote:
MarineAssist wrote:

Don
You mean E uses your services! SHHHHHH! :D :D (Uh, did ya get my check yet?)

Yep. I saw your envelope in today's mail, but I haven't gotten around to opening it yet. I assume there is a check in it. :D

E is a long time member of Marine Assist and is now enjoying some of the benefits of the other services I provide for boats and trailers, etc.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

lol, well I wasn't going to tell anyone you had my boat until it was done to make sure I didn't get your shop put on a hit list... LMAO
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Don't ya love the drama of our friendly little lake forums? =)) :D :ymdevil: ;;) :-* I'd say somethin' 'bout swallerin' my store-boughten teef over that but don't wanna get no snippy messages about poutin' or needin' to see a priest! :-o :-s =)) =))
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

lol, or that they don't exist.
bubbles
Better Member

Post by bubbles »

was this thread in my honor?
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

lol, did it apply?
MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

RE3

E is not talking about forum drama. There are other issues going on in the recent past he is referring to. I am no longer helping a local shop here sell boats anymore.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

bubbles wrote:was this thread in my honor?

I saw Bubbles quote for repairs, so maybe this should be in her honor.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

MarineAssist wrote:RE3

E is not talking about forum drama. There are other issues going on in the recent past he is referring to. I am no longer helping a local shop here sell boats anymore.
OK! But ya have to admit you've taken a few(?) snarky hits for the services you offer! =)) That's what I was talkin' about! :D We, for 2, are happy you're here! :ymhug: :ymhug: (And I don't listen to what E says behind your back! :ymdevil: O:-) )
bubbles
Better Member

Post by bubbles »

Lock5 wrote:
bubbles wrote:was this thread in my honor?

I saw Bubbles quote for repairs, so maybe this should be in her honor.
i had a rather qualified person check out the bill....he said it seemed high....but not really unreasonable, due to the place being a service at the lake and the amount of work that needed done. also ___ said he warned me of the work that needed to be done.....! maybe he can cut me a little slack on the labor costs! :(( :(( :((
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

TTT
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

TTT
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

TTT 2015
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

TTT 2016
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

TTT 2017 since it appears many are getting a early start on this season.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

TTT 2018
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

TTT
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

TTT

Return to “General Talk”