Wet-Dry Lawsuit Heard Tuesday/ Decision Rendered In Wet-Dry

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

DMS

Wet-Dry Lawsuit Heard Tuesday/ Decision Rendered In Wet-Dry

Post by DMS »

Posted by Laker Country in local news on February 23, 2010

A ruling on whether the results of a special wet-dry election last November affecting the Jamestown area will stand or not could possibly be rendered before Friday. Pre-trial motions were heard Tuesday afternoon in Russell Circuit Court by Special Judge Julia Adams of Winchester in a lawsuit filed by five local residents challenging the validity of the election held November 24th in the Lake and Jamestown precincts, including the City of Jamestown. A “bench trial” had been scheduled for this Friday, February 25th, however, during Tuesday’s court proceedings Judge Adams said “the material facts of the case are not disputed” and she would be taking the case under advisement and could possibly issue her decision by Friday.

http://lakercountry.com/2010/02/23/vali ... by-friday/
Last edited by DMS on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Final Arguments In Wet-Dry Lawsuit Heard Tuesday

Post by E_ »

Which way will it go Denmark?
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
DMS

Post by DMS »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Which way will it go Denmark?
Quote Miranda Lambert, "It's a dry town
No beer, no liquor for miles around
I'd give a nickel for a sip or two
To wash me down
Outta this dry town"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC86JtUGfT4
DMS

Post by DMS »

Posted by Laker Country in local news on March 2, 2010

Special Judge Julia Adams has made a ruling in the wet-dry election lawsuit brought by five Russell Countians and although the judge’s findings have not yet been filed in Russell Circuit Court, indications are she has “voided or set aside” the election.

Her full written opinion is expected to be filed today but according to Circuit Clerk Tony Kerr, Adams told him late Monday afternoon that she had “found in favor of the plaintiffs” and indicated she had ruled to set aside the election.

Adams said she placed her decision in the mail yesterday from her hometown of Winchester. WJRS NEWS will have more details on this story once the judge’s opinion is received and filed in the circuit clerk’s office.

http://lakercountry.com/2010/03/02/deci ... y-lawsuit/
LC addict
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: JRM

Re: Wet-Dry Lawsuit Heard Tuesday/ Decision Rendered In Wet-Dry

Post by LC addict »

Well at least now we can drive to Danville if we run out of libations! Russell County should be proud that 5 residents have cost them so much revenue!
My greatest accomplishments call me Mom!
bubbles
Better Member

Post by bubbles »

I am guessing I will get a few calls from lake peeps (when I am working on Fridays)...wanting me to pick up something on the way down....LOL. :p
DMS

Post by DMS »

bubbles wrote:I am guessing I will get a few calls from lake peeps (when I am working on Fridays)...wanting me to pick up something on the way down....LOL. :p
That already happens...dont it LC :ymhug:
Jaybird
Better Member

Post by Jaybird »

My brother-in-law and I were hanging out by the fuel dock at State Dock while the wives were in the ship store when a couple people got off a rental and asked us where they could get some liquor. From their accent they were perhaps from Michigan , maybe Illinois. I asked what kind and they said any, beer, whisky, whatever, they had run out. I said that probably Tennessee would be the closest and explained why; That this area was what was called dry, that no alcoholic beverages were permitted to be sold. After they got done laughing their rear ends off and discussing the backward nature of parts of Kentucky, I had no choice but to agree with them 'thar yankees, to some extent. :) It is pretty bad when people from other states look at you as dumb hillbillies with no shoes, bib overalls, rotted teeth, a straw hat, marrying cousins and sucking on a corn cob pipe. Being stuck in last century's prohibition days only adds to the way we are perceived. I don't drink nor do I smoke, however, I don't have anything against it being available for reasonable consumption. Well except for smoking in restaurants. :( The people who think that Prohihibition of alcohol is the root of all evil, violence and the answer to people not drinking themselves silly are sadly mistaken. That was answered about 90 years ago when National Prohibition was struck down. In the days of old, people most likely had no issue because home brew and shine were in good supply. :)) :)) I'm done.
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

Russel county needs to double the taxes, then see how fast they change thier tune! :ymdevil:
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Jaybird wrote:It is pretty bad when people from other states look at you as dumb hillbillies with no shoes, bib overalls, rotted teeth, a straw hat, marrying cousins and sucking on a corn cob pipe. Being stuck in last century's prohibition days only adds to the way we are perceived. I don't drink nor do I smoke, however, I don't have anything against it being available for reasonable consumption. Well except for smoking in restaurants. :( The people who think that Prohihibition of alcohol is the root of all evil, violence and the answer to people not drinking themselves silly are sadly mistaken. That was answered about 90 years ago when National Prohibition was struck down.
I absolutely hear what you are saying, Jaybird, and am not saying you are right or wrong.There is a perverse little part of me that always gets amused when this topic emerges regularly on the forums. That part of me says 1) This is one little area in our lives where one vote can truly make a difference. Thank God. 2) I for one am grateful to live in a country where individual differences are still allowed to exist. Thank God. 3) In this day and age where we rarely get a personal say about things, I'm glad there are still some areas where you can express a beliefthat may be contrary to the mainstream. Thank God.

That being said, please don't start giving me all the old preachers, bootleggers etc. laundry list. I know people who LEGITIMATELY do believe that alcohol is not a good thing and prefer to not be around it. Their arms have not been twisted by anyone. Most of them know that drinking goes on around them. They don't have their heads in the sand about that. As long as the laws are written the way they are, these people will continue to exercise their rights to vote the way they see fit just as those who favor alcohol will continue to vote the way they see fit. Thank God. The only thing I dislike about this whole issue is the way those who vote against alcohol are painted with the same negative brush. I also dislike the way some anti alcohol people paint all who vote for it with the drunk brush.

Holy crap! This is too deep for me! Guess I'll go get drunk! Oh, wait! I don't like to drink! Now what am I gonna do? :D
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

:-? :ymapplause:
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Holy crap! E gave me the clap, again! :D :ymdevil: ;;)
LC addict
MASTER MEMBER

Post by LC addict »

What I don't understand is how the majority can be for it, and 5 of those who were against it can file a lawsuit and get the vote thrown out! I guess in this case, the people have spoken...but no one listened despite having the majority. While I think alcohol sales would be good for the economy, I can live with it either way. I've learned to stock up from home ;) But if it were legal there, I probably would buy it there instead of hauling it 125 miles, thus stimulating the local economy.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Agree, LC. Because the laws are so convoluted, what the petitioners need to do is collectively hire an attorney to advise them how to go about doing the vote so it won't get set aside. Can't blame the judge if the problem lies in the way the law is written, petitioned and voted upon. I wish it could be put to bed once and for all so these types of conversations don't have to continue. Either get the law changed or get the vote done properly. These continued exchanges don't help the feelings among any of the parties involved. Again,JMHO! :ymhug:
DMS

Post by DMS »

LC addict wrote:What I don't understand is how the majority can be for it, and 5 of those who were against it can file a lawsuit and get the vote thrown out! .
Florida and George W. Bush =))
Nautiques R Us
I posted something! WooHoo!

Post by Nautiques R Us »

Denmark- wrote:
LC addict wrote:What I don't understand is how the majority can be for it, and 5 of those who were against it can file a lawsuit and get the vote thrown out! .
:)) :ymapplause:

That was awesome Denmark!!
LC addict
MASTER MEMBER

Post by LC addict »

Nautiques R Us wrote:
Denmark- wrote:
:)) :ymapplause:

That was awesome Denmark!!
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: Good point, I love politics! (not)
E_
Site Admin

Re: Wet-Dry Lawsuit Heard Tuesday/ Decision Rendered In Wet-

Post by E_ »

LC addict wrote:Well at least now we can drive to Danville if we run out of libations! Russell County should be proud that 5 residents have cost them so much revenue!

Now you have Somerset! lol

Return to “General Talk”