Do you remember what today is?

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Do you remember what today is?

Post by E_ »

Dec. 7 1941

Aircraft and midget submarines of the Imperial Japanese Navy began an attack on the U.S. The Americans had deciphered Japan's code earlier and knew about a planned attack before it actually occurred. However, due to difficulty in deciphering intercepted messages, the Americans failed to discover Japan's target location before the attack occurred. [5] Under the command of Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, the attack was devastating in loss of life and damage to the U.S. fleet. At 06:05 on December 7, the six Japanese carriers launched a first wave of 183 planes composed mainly of dive bombers, horizontal bombers and fighters.[6] The Japanese hit American ships and military installations at 07:51. The first wave attacked military airfields of Ford Island. At 08:30, a second wave of 170 Japanese planes, mostly torpedo bombers, attacked the fleet anchored in Pearl Harbor. The battleship Arizona was hit with an armor piercing bomb which penetrated the forward ammunition compartment, blowing the ship apart and sinking it within seconds. Overall, nine ships of the U.S. fleet were sunk and 21 ships were severely damaged. Three of the 21 would be irreparable. The overall death toll reached 2,350, including 68 civilians, and 1,178 injured. Of the military personnel lost at Pearl Harbor, 1,177 were from Arizona. The first shots fired were from the destroyer Ward on a midget submarine that had surfaced outside of Pearl Harbor; Ward did successfully sink the midget sub at approximately 06:55, about an hour before the assault on Pearl H

Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
LC addict
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: JRM

Re: Do you remember what today is?

Post by LC addict »

My dad was there, but went to his grave still not able to talk much about it.
My greatest accomplishments call me Mom!
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

thats rough LC. :(
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

LC addict wrote:My dad was there, but went to his grave still not able to talk much about it.
That is so common.....My hubby is a WWII vet and it has only been in the last 10 trs. that I have been able to get him to talk, especially to younger people. It's important for both the veterans and civilians to talk about these events in order for all to understand the hell of war. :(
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

Thanks for reminding us E, I have been in the memorial above the Arizona, the Silence is deafening. They show a short video prior to the "boat ride" and explain that this is truly the "graves" of many, please respect that.... although by this time you are quite humbled as it is. I will never forget that trip, I can still see the "oil drops" rising to the surface from the Arizona.

Jeff's and my father were in WWII, never wanted to talk about it, not many I have known do or will. :(
Thank God though for all who did participate and pass on any knowledge. :ymhug:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
LC addict
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: JRM

Post by LC addict »

I was just figuring out how old my dad would have been when he was at Pearl Harbor, he was fresh in the navy and would have just turned 18 yrs. old.... what a way to be initiated into adulthood! Thanks for this thread E, it was nice to take some time out of my day to remember my dad!
My greatest accomplishments call me Mom!
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

ttt
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

In memory of those that lost thier lives in the brutal attack and for those that fought them off.
**== @};- **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **==
pearl-harbor-memorial-hawaii.jpg
pearl-harbor-memorial-hawaii.jpg (333.31 KiB) Viewed 13445 times
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

**== God Bless them All! **==
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Just before 8 on the morning of December 7, 1941, hundreds of Japanese fighter planes attacked the American naval base at Pearl Harbor near Honolulu, Hawaii. The barrage lasted just two hours, but it was devastating: The Japanese managed to destroy nearly 20 American naval vessels, including eight enormous battleships, and almost 200 airplanes. More than 2,000 Americans soldiers and sailors died in the attack, and another 1,000 were wounded. The day after the assault, President Franklin D. Roosevelt asked Congress to declare war on Japan; Congress approved his declaration with just one dissenting vote. Three days later, Japanese allies Germany and Italy also declared war on the United States, and again Congress reciprocated. More than two years into the conflict, America had finally joined World War II.
Pop-O
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: State Dock/Punkin Creek

Post by Pop-O »

re3too wrote:
LC addict wrote:My dad was there, but went to his grave still not able to talk much about it.
That is so common.....My hubby is a WWII vet and it has only been in the last 10 trs. that I have been able to get him to talk, especially to younger people. It's important for both the veterans and civilians to talk about these events in order for all to understand the hell of war. :(
The kids definitely need to be told about that history. I went to DisneyWorld and in Epcot saw a presentation about the USA history. Kids that see that would never come away from it thinking that Japan started the war. Guess they wouldn't want to offend the many japs that come and spend their money. As we were leaving, I was mad and was complaining about the program, when an older gentleman came up to me and shook my hand saying he was there and certainly agreed with me. I told the wife I didn't ever want to give Disney any more of my money, and don't want to ever go back.
I have taken the road least traveled................and now I am freakin LOST !
MissSwitzerland
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Knight's Landing

Post by MissSwitzerland »

Thanks for this reminder!!!
When the Queen is Happy there is Peace in the Kingdom!
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Ttt, not many of them remain but I will always be thankful...
JLA

Post by JLA »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Ttt, not many of them remain but I will always be thankful...
Amen Brother, Amen **==
Some days I'm the baby, some days I'm the diaper........
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

JLA wrote:
Amen Brother, Amen **==
+1000!
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

re3too wrote:
JLA wrote:
Amen Brother, Amen **==
+1000!

I agree
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Ttt
Pop-O
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: State Dock/Punkin Creek

Post by Pop-O »

Supposedly one of the high rank japs said he was afraid they had woken up the "SLEEPING GIANT" ! Well I think the "sleeping giant" has gone back to bed. The giant should wake up and get moving of it's own accord and not wait for another Pearl Harbor or 9 / 11 to happen.
I have taken the road least traveled................and now I am freakin LOST !
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

Pop-O wrote:Supposedly one of the high rank japs said he was afraid they had woken up the "SLEEPING GIANT" ! Well I think the "sleeping giant" has gone back to bed. The giant should wake up and get moving of it's own accord and not wait for another Pearl Harbor or 9 / 11 to happen.

I don't think we have it in us anymore...........China could take us over without firing a shot. Fairly sad when you think about it. The worst part is I have a 5 yr. old daughter that won't have the same opportunities that I have had because of our liabilities to people that don't like us.
Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

I had someone ask me yesterday why the flags were flying half staff...im just shocked by how out of touch people are with this country..
JLA

Post by JLA »

You can't teach history that might offend someone. Duh! Where have you been?? Only happy history can be taught. X( X(

That is exactly what is wrong with all these people that want to tap dance around the terrorist countries, instead of going in and kicking a$$ and ending this like we did in the 1940's.
Some days I'm the baby, some days I'm the diaper........
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

TTT
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

TTT, a moment of remembrance today. :-(
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

USS-Arizona-Sinking-Pearl-Harbor-Newspaper-December-7-1941-AP-Getty-640x480.jpg
USS-Arizona-Sinking-Pearl-Harbor-Newspaper-December-7-1941-AP-Getty-640x480.jpg (68.6 KiB) Viewed 10621 times
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

A day that shall live in infamy... :(

It also marks the third anniversary of GWW's #2 son's death. :( And now I can add my 1st cataract surgery to this date. :-s
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Chavez.png
Chavez.png (216.99 KiB) Viewed 9261 times

https://www.wymt.com/content/news/Pearl ... 68016.html
Patrick.png
Patrick.png (325.34 KiB) Viewed 9261 times
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

TTT
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

TTT 2020
Attachments
4-pearl-harbor-photo-gallery-gettyimages-2660129-.jpg
4-pearl-harbor-photo-gallery-gettyimages-2660129-.jpg (298.14 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Screenshot_20211207-103604_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211207-103604_Chrome.jpg (398.7 KiB) Viewed 5669 times
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

FB_IMG_1670414835370.jpg
FB_IMG_1670414835370.jpg (52.45 KiB) Viewed 4776 times
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Screenshot_20231207_070324_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20231207_070324_Google.jpg (878.67 KiB) Viewed 3430 times

Return to “General Talk”