To All Veterans... THANK YOU

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

DMS

To All Veterans... THANK YOU

Post by DMS »

Thank you for the sacrifices that were made so me and my family can enjoy the freedoms we have. YOU are the reason. I WILL NEVER FORGET :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
BTW today Sgt. York relatives to be at dedication of 2nd Jamestown, KY doughboy monument.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: To All Veterans... THANK YOU

Post by E_ »

:ymhug: Definitely a big THANK YOU to the veterans!
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

My WWII veteran hubby and I are headed out the door momentarily to attend a service in Bradenton FL. I'll thank him for you. :) Thanks to all the veterans....
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

And thank you for taking care of the soldiers at Valley Forge :ymhug:
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

:ymhug: :ymapplause: Thank you all! I have a stepson that is a "lifer" in the Air Force at this time, getting ready to go to "the bad place" (all they can say) again. Prayers every day.... :-*
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
shocka43
Better Member

Post by shocka43 »

"Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."---Ronald Reagan
shocka43
Better Member

Post by shocka43 »

While this topic is up, an email forward that I received the other day...Good gesture by Sears (And I am in no way affiliated with them). Verified on Snopes.com.

Sears - Christmas shopping has already started

I know I needed this reminder since Sears isn't always my first choice. Amazing when you think of how long the war has lasted and they haven't withdrawn from their commitment. Could we each buy at least one thing at Sears this year?

How does Sears treat its employees who are called up for military duty? By law, they are required to hold their jobs open and available, but nothing more. Usually, people take a big pay cut and lose benefits as a result of being called up.

Sears is voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called up reservist employees for up to two years.

I submit that Sears is an exemplary corporate citizen and should be recognized for its contribution. I suggest we all shop at Sears, and be sure to find a manager to tell them why we are there so the company gets the positive reinforcement it well deserves.

Pass it on.

Decided to check this before I sent it forward. So I sent the following e-mail to the Sears Customer Service Department:

I received this e-mail and I would like to know if it is true. If it is, the Internet may have just become one very good source of advertisement for your company. I know I would go out of my way to buy products from Sears instead of another store for a like item, even if it's cheaper at that store.

This is their answer to my e-mail:

Dear Customer:

Thank you for contacting Sears.The information is factual. We appreciate your positive feedback.

Sears regards service to our country as one of greatest sacrifices our young men and women can make. We are happy to do our part to lessen the burden they bear at this time.

Bill Thorn
Sears Customer Care
[email protected]
1-800-349-4358
"Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."---Ronald Reagan
djcardinal
Contributor

Post by djcardinal »

I was eating Mexican the other day with Angie. To my left was an older couple, at least 75ish, and their daughter (prolly 50). The man had on a veteran's hat and was struggling a bit while eating, but still enjoying some authentic Mexican food. I also noticed a walking device. As I sat there and ate my own food, I tried to place what war he would have fought in, I was pretty sure not Vietnam, but guessing his age would have put him at the end of WWII (still doubtful) or Korea.

I approached Jose (his waiter) and told him to bring me the check, and I would be honored to buy his dinner for him and his family. When Jose told them I had paid for it they acknowledged and thanked me. As they got up, he grabed his walking device and they all walked over to our table. I got up, and shuck his had, he removed his hat and told me something I will never forget. He said thank you again, it means a lot to me. Today marks the day a man of different race jumped on top of me, and sheilded me from a grenade thrown in Korea, because of my friend Charlie I am alive 50 years ago today. Thank you for reminding me again that people in the country care, regardless of color, religion, and age.

I started crying, Angie was balling, and his wife and daughter had tears but were smiling. I saluted the man, and said sir, you are a true hero, I never served in the military (although I worked for the SOFSA and DOD for a long while), but its people (men and women) like you that protect us every day, and do it without hesitation. Just like your friend Charlie did, whom I am sure died graciously to protect you and your fellow countrymen. I hugged the man and his wife. The left slowly while I sat with Angie and reflected on the bravery of our soldiers, and other men and women in the military. We both shared a tear and great moment with one of our countries true hero's, who in his own way, salutes and cherish's his fellow veterans and his own personal heros.

I can't help but tear up when thinking about it. When I went to the USS Arizona a year ago, and all the museums there, I don't think I ever stopped crying. I couldn't contain my emotions as I thought of that day 66 years ago then. True heroism still lives there, in the water where many are entombed.

God Speed to all Veteran's, and THANK YOU so much for your bravery and your unconditional service.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

:ymapplause: Great info Shocka43! Sears will get as much business as I can give them. I will pass your info on!
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

WOw DJ, right on man

Thanks for the info shocka
shocka43
Better Member

Post by shocka43 »

Good post DJ. If it weren't for them, we wouldn't be here living the way we do. Puts the issues that we face today into perspective when given the sacrifices our vets and generations before us made to make this country a better place.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

by djcardinal on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:37 pm

I can't help but tear up when thinking about it. When I went to the USS Arizona a year ago, and all the museums there, I don't think I ever stopped crying. I couldn't contain my emotions as I thought of that day 66 years ago then. True heroism still lives there, in the water where many are entombed.

Great story DJ, thanks for sharing. I too have been to USS Arizona, and if your are not "moved", you're dead. I still today can very clearly visualize the "oil drops" still rising to the top, saying my own prayers and being moved by the family visiting the wall within the monument placed above the Arizona. The Vietnam Wall in Washington is just as moving... knew people on that wall....
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

E_HILLMAN wrote:And thank you for taking care of the soldiers at Valley Forge :ymhug:
Shut up, E! I apologize to all veterans who have served to save schmucks like E! :ymdevil: =))
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS,
HE LIVED ALL ALONE,
IN A ONE BEDROOM HOUSE MADE OF
PLASTER AND STONE.

I HAD COME DOWN THE CHIMNEY
WITH PRESENTS TO GIVE,
AND TO SEE JUST WHO
IN THIS HOME DID LIVE.

I LOOKED ALL ABOUT,
A STRANGE SIGHT I DID SEE,
NO TINSEL, NO PRESENTS,
NOT EVEN A TREE.

NO STOCKING BY MANTLE,
JUST BOOTS FILLED WITH SAND,
ON THE WALL HUNG PICTURES
OF FAR DISTANT LANDS.

WITH MEDALS AND BADGES,
AWARDS OF ALL KINDS,
A SOBER THOUGHT
CAME THROUGH MY MIND.

FOR THIS HOUSE WAS DIFFERENT,
IT WAS DARK AND DREARY,
I FOUND THE HOME OF A SOLDIER,
ONCE I COULD SEE CLEARLY.

THE SOLDIER LAY SLEEPING,
SILENT, ALONE,
CURLED UP ON THE FLOOR
IN THIS ONE BEDROOM HOME.

THE FACE WAS SO GENTLE,
THE ROOM IN SUCH DISORDER,
NOT HOW I PICTURED
A UNITED STATES SOLDIER.

WAS THIS THE HERO
OF WHOM I'D JUST READ?
CURLED UP ON A PONCHO,
THE FLOOR FOR A BED?

I REALIZED THE FAMILIES
THAT I SAW THIS NIGHT,
OWED THEIR LIVES TO THESE SOLDIERS
WHO WERE WILLING TO FIGHT.

SOON ROUND THE WORLD,
THE CHILDREN WOULD PLAY,
AND GROWNUPS WOULD CELEBRATE
A BRIGHT CHRISTMAS DAY.

THEY ALL ENJOYED FREEDOM
EACH MONTH OF THE YEAR,
BECAUSE OF THE SOLDIERS,
LIKE THE ONE LYING HERE.

I COULDN'T HELP WONDER
HOW MANY LAY ALONE,
ON A COLD CHRISTMAS EVE
IN A LAND FAR FROM HOME.

THE VERY THOUGHT
BROUGHT A TEAR TO MY EYE,
I DROPPED TO MY KNEES
AND STARTED TO CRY.

THE SOLDIER AWAKENED
AND I HEARD A ROUGH VOICE,
'SANTA DON'T CRY,
THIS LIFE IS MY CHOICE;

I FIGHT FOR FREEDOM,
I DON'T ASK FOR MORE,
MY LIFE IS MY GOD,
MY! COUNTRY, MY CORPS.'

THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER
AND DRIFTED TO SLEEP,
I COULDN'T CONTROL IT,
I CONTINUED TO WEEP.

I KEPT WATCH FOR HOURS,
SO SILENT AND STILL
AND WE BOTH SHIVERED
FROM THE COLD NIGHT'S CHILL.

I DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE
ON THAT COLD, DARK, NIGHT,
THIS GUARDIAN OF HONOR
SO WILLING TO FIGHT.

THEN THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER,
WITH A VOICE SOFT AND PURE,
WHISPERED, 'CARRY ON SANTA,
IT'S CHRISTMAS DAY, ALL IS SECURE.'

ONE LOOK AT MY WATCH,
AND I KNEW HE WAS RIGHT.
'MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND,!
AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT.'
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

Good info Shocka and thanks for sharing it. I'll spend part of my Christmas shopping dollars with Sears for sure.

My daughter bought me a veterans hat a while back. On Tuesday the wife and I went to Campbellsville and I wore the hat. We were both hungry when we got there and stopped at Huddle House for brunch. After eating I went to the register to pay the bill and the GM came to the register and rang us out. He gave me a 30% discount on both meals and said he assumed I was a veteran because of my hat and then thanked me. I'd never had anything like that happen before and was very touched by the gesture.
LC addict
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: JRM

Post by LC addict »

My dad was a WWII Navy vet and Pearl Harbor survivor, and just knowing how that affected him till the day he died brings chills to my spine. When thinking of the sacrifices our miliary and their families endure for our countries freedoms never fails to bring tears to my eyes. I have looked at this thread of days, and just can't seem to find the words that convey how truely thankful I am for their service, but didn't want to go without acknowledging these special men and women....So... Thank you to all active and retired miliary and their families, it is because of you that we are the land of the free and the home of the brave.
My greatest accomplishments call me Mom!

Return to “General Talk”