Skype users?

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

DMS

Skype users?

Post by DMS »

The wife has a friend in Germany and the friend wants us to setup a Skypes account. I have had issues from places like Myspace, Facebook, ect.. Anyone use Skype? Good, bad, or OK?
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Re: Skype users?

Post by katie »

I have been using Skype for quite awhile without any problems, it is alot better for chatting than myspace, facebook, etc. just my opinion tho. Chat with the step-son and daughter-in-law that are in England quite frequently. The "social sites" seem to get bogged down and it slows down the chat time. Skype is fast and you can also use web-cam's. I say give it a shot, don't like it, just uninstall... maybe E has more info (I am not a techie by any means....I just know it's simple enough for me to use, lol)
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
LC addict
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: JRM

Post by LC addict »

My daughter uses it to talk to her friend in Scotland that she is getting ready to go visit. I was checking it out Saturday night when they were chatting on the webcams, seems like a pretty neat program.
My greatest accomplishments call me Mom!
DMS

Post by DMS »

Skype might have to shut down because of a dispute over the core technology used to make the Internet telephone system work.

EBay, which paid $2.6 for the voice-over-the-Web system in 2005, is facing a court battle with the original founders of the company who retained the rights to the technology at the heart of the system.

EBay admitted in a regulatory filing that it might have to close down the company. It said it was trying to develop alternative software but if that did not work, or if eBay lost the right to the original software: "Skype would be severely and adversely affected and the continued operation of Skype's business as currently conducted would likely not be possible."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,536 ... latestnews
LC addict
MASTER MEMBER

Post by LC addict »

Denmark- wrote:Skype might have to shut down because of a dispute over the core technology used to make the Internet telephone system work.

EBay, which paid $2.6 for the voice-over-the-Web system in 2005, is facing a court battle with the original founders of the company who retained the rights to the technology at the heart of the system.

EBay admitted in a regulatory filing that it might have to close down the company. It said it was trying to develop alternative software but if that did not work, or if eBay lost the right to the original software: "Skype would be severely and adversely affected and the continued operation of Skype's business as currently conducted would likely not be possible."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,536 ... latestnews

Well this is just great....my daughter is going ot Scotland in December and I was hoping to use this to talk to her....guess I'll have to add international calls to her cell phone....
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

You'll want to check the international rates...................OUCH!!!!

I added the world traveler feature to my plan prior to going to China last year, turned off all data so that I would not incur those charges and still had a $600.00 bill for that one friggin week. Thank God I was able to reimburse myself through the company. :D

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

what about that dang 2c a minute company that does the annoying commercials. Also some don't nail you for England/Scottland as hard.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
LC addict
MASTER MEMBER

Post by LC addict »

FasterThanYou wrote:You'll want to check the international rates...................OUCH!!!!

I added the world traveler feature to my plan prior to going to China last year, turned off all data so that I would not incur those charges and still had a $600.00 bill for that one friggin week. Thank God I was able to reimburse myself through the company. :D
It looks like I can add international to my plan for about $20 a month but after reading this I'll be sure the check all the fine print! Thanks for the heads up!
jpatton
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Whatever ramp E_HILLMAN decides to put in at...LOL

Post by jpatton »

Will she have access to a computer? If so you could sign up for "MagicJack". Supposedly it's free to call the US with a MJ from any country. Only $19.95 year.
http://www.magicjack.com

Dang, I sound like a friggin' commercial.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.

Return to “General Talk”