The END of the trail for Pontiac, we owned 5 over the years

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Dolphin
Marina/Ramp: lake Cumberland

The END of the trail for Pontiac, we owned 5 over the years

Post by Dolphin »

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: The END of the trail for Pontiac, we owned 5 over the years

Post by E_ »

I know, its sad. I don't understand though how could it cost to have Pontiac since it is just mainly a badge difference in most cases. Can't they keep the name around?
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:I know, its sad. I don't understand though how could it cost to have Pontiac since it is just mainly a badge difference in most cases. Can't they keep the name around?

They could, but all Chevy dealers are not Pontiac dealers, so the savings will be in the dealership support. I will bet there will only be Chevy/Chrysler dealers in the bigger markets when this is all said and done. I personally have been a GM fan for all of my life, but from here on out will only be purchasing Fords/Toyotas/Hondas, they are they only companies that did not take any government assistance, and employ Americans, so they will be the only companies I will consider for a new auto/trucks. I really believe it's time for the masses to start thinking with our wallets, not just what is cheaper, but what is truely best for us as a nation, I don't want to make my neighbors house payment, but I will try to support the company that he works for so that he can. We would all be better off if that was our first consideration. :-?
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

I'll still support Chevy and Dodge as well as Ford.

Remember they are the companies that have the main supply chains in the US and the largest amount of ownership in those companies are US stock.

the rest still send far to much money back "home"
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs

Post by Pac22 »

Chevy man here. The Yukon has 160,000 trouble free miles on her so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Although I wouldn't mind having one of those new G8 GXP's. They are bad a$$.
Last edited by Pac22 on Tue May 05, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

When foreigners place factories in our country, they become high stake holders with our national treasury. Dissipating wealth as their profits return to foreign lands and the taxes are paid to foreign governments. While they get MAJOR domestic tax breaks that US companies do not get giving them a upper hand.

Granted from around 1998 - 2004 (some say 2007) it truly was a German company with profit going to Germany and even being used to back Airbus over our own Boeing it is finally a US automaker again (for now)
Currently prebail out the standing of the company Chrysler LLC is 80.1% American and 19.9% German. With the Fiat deal taking part of both the percentages. I guess in 30 -60 days from tomorrow we will know.

http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/inthen ... 10-06.html
And so -- the argument continues.
Both sides are right – and wrong. Despite massive cuts, GM and Ford employ more people than Toyota and Honda, and still make more cars here, on US soil. The most American car is still a Ford, followed by a Chevy, and the profit still stays here at home. The names on the cars trace back a hundred years or more, and symbolize the American Ideal for generations of people: a good job, doing something worthwhile, building something that lasts, and leaving a legacy in sheet metal, glass and rivets.
http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/simmerm ... acts.shtml
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

_____ wrote:Chevy man here. The Yukon has 160,000 trouble free miles on her so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Me too. I'm on my fourth Chevy truck and don't plan on changing. Plus, my father retired form GM back in 1984.

First was a 1995 Blazer that I bought new and kept for 120K+ miles - just wasn't enough towing power
'99 Tahoe that I put about 90K on
'02 Tahoe that I put about 105K on
'08 Suburban that we bought right before Christmas - I'm hoping this one does as well as all the others.

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
KYCanuck
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Burnside Marina - Yearly slip

Post by KYCanuck »

I am on my 5th Pontiac Gran Prix and was looking forward to buying a new G8 GT (would love the GXP but just not ractical) but now I am rethinking what the next car will be! Unfortunately Ford has nothing practical that I am interested in. The same goes for Chrysler/Dodge, so I really don't know where to go.

I am now thinking along the lines of a Cadillac CTS or an Acura, Lexus, etc. but I am not sure I want to spend the additional money to go to the higher end cars! I am kind of stuck now!

I REALLY hate to see Pontiac disapear!!!!!!
Brrrrr!

The Red Pontiac G8 GT in my Avatar is for Sale - Ask me about it!
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Ahhh Get a Challenger... LOL Ask Jay Leno about his, he loves them
KYCanuck
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Burnside Marina - Yearly slip

Post by KYCanuck »

Actually those new Challengers are pretty sharp looking but I think they are over priced. I also like the new 2010 Camaro and the price range seems a little better. Not to mention that I would expect the reliability of a Chevy to be better than a Dodge!!!! JMO!

Either one would be nice but I am struggling with a 400+ HP Rear Wheel Drive car in this part of the country with the snow and ice we get! I may seriously have to take that chance though. ;)
Brrrrr!

The Red Pontiac G8 GT in my Avatar is for Sale - Ask me about it!
jpatton
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Whatever ramp E_HILLMAN decides to put in at...LOL

Post by jpatton »

KYCanuck wrote:I am on my 5th Pontiac Gran Prix and was looking forward to buying a new G8 GT (would love the GXP but just not ractical) but now I am rethinking what the next car will be! Unfortunately Ford has nothing practical that I am interested in. The same goes for Chrysler/Dodge, so I really don't know where to go.

I am now thinking along the lines of a Cadillac CTS or an Acura, Lexus, etc. but I am not sure I want to spend the additional money to go to the higher end cars! I am kind of stuck now!

I REALLY hate to see Pontiac disapear!!!!!!
I'm on my 2nd Grand Prix (first was a 1972 and the second is a 2005) and I too really like the G8. Too bad it won't be around after 2010. :((

The last Ford I had was a 1993 Thunderbird (aka "Ghetto Sled") and I got roughly 180,000 miles out of it before I traded it in on my GP.

Return to “General Talk”