Swine Flu, H1N1 or whatever!

Talk about whatever as long as it is not rated X... Just play nice. Posts may be edited or deleted in whole or in part.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

MissSwitzerland
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Knight's Landing

Swine Flu, H1N1 or whatever!

Post by MissSwitzerland »

You know, I'm really sorry that people are getting sick and dying from this. They reported on the news today that FOUR people in the United States have died from this virus. But my question is, in that same time frame how many people in the U.S. have died from the regular flu, or cancer, or heart disease, or AIDS, or MERSA or one of the many other viruses, diseases and illness that kill thousands upon thousands every year. We don't hear on a daily basis that death toll. Why aren't they just as worried about finding vaccines or cures for those diseases as they are about finding a vaccine for swine flu? Am I missing something?

Off my soap box now! You may resume to your regularly scheduled activities! ;;)
When the Queen is Happy there is Peace in the Kingdom!
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Swine Flu, H1N1 or whatever!

Post by E_ »

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/update.htm

•The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) based on the 122 Cities Report has increased and now exceeds what is normally expected at this time of year. In addition, 19 flu-related pediatric deaths were reported this week; 16 of these deaths were confirmed 2009 H1N1 and 3 were unsubtyped influenza A and likely to be 2009 H1N1. A total of 76 laboratory confirmed 2009 H1N1 pediatric deaths have been reported to CDC since April.

2008-2009 Influenza Season Week 39 ending October 3, 2009
All data are preliminary and may change as more reports are received.

Synopsis:
During week 39 (September 27-October 3, 2009), influenza activity increased in the U.S.

•2,968 (27.4%) specimens tested by U.S. World Health Organization (WHO) and National Respiratory and Enteric Virus Surveillance System (NREVSS) collaborating laboratories and reported to CDC/Influenza Division were positive for influenza.
•99% of all subtyped influenza A viruses being reported to CDC were 2009 influenza A (H1N1) viruses.
•The proportion of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) was at the epidemic threshold.
•Nineteen influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported. Sixteen of these deaths were associated with 2009 influenza A (H1N1) virus infection and three were associated with influenza A virus, for which subtype is undetermined.
•The proportion of outpatient visits for influenza-like illness (ILI) was above the national baseline. Regions 3 through 10 reported ILI above region-specific baseline levels; Regions 1 and 2 were below region-specific baselines.
•Thirty-seven states reported geographically widespread influenza activity, Guam and 11 states reported regional influenza activity, two states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico reported local influenza activity, and the U.S. Virgin Islands did not report.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

:-s :-s Well, just found out my UPS drivers' daughter has H1N1 and the schools reported 10% absenteeism with FLU. No matter what kind. The doctor told them NOT to come in to the office and gave them instructions for home care..... :-ss

I was told by the two girls I work with this is the sickest they have ever been..... :-ss
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

I can tell you I have seen Julie with the flu before not just a cold and she handled it much better than this...

ITs baaaaddd... :( What I don't understand however is even 7 days after her symptoms are over I still have to follow protocol at work. Thats just a bit too far.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Does Julie have much of a fever?
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

100.8 about a hour ago.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

It's usually higher at night but that's still pretty hugh. Poor baby! Hope she can keep fluids down.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I'm having to force her.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

Fluids are crucial. Hang in there....both of ya. :(
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Well I am ok thus far but I am using Jim Beam and now that I actually for the first time in years ran out of Jim Beam I am using the Bacardi Gold to ward it off. Hopefully I can make it thru it so I can see the gang this weekend and next wekeend we have a outting with a friend that is early in a preg. so we don't want to endanger her as we of all know the dangers. :-s

Hopefully all will be done in a few days. But once again Barb. PLEASE come if even just for a moment. Mr. Barb Please make sure she comes for a sec. :ymsigh:

Return to “General Talk”