YES, I DO believe our nation was founded on religious princi

PLAY NICE! No ATTACKS on anyone or any religion. Try to stay fact based and back up your facts with a reputable source. Do not temp the Mod Squad as no attacks on other users or threats of any type will be tolerated. Any post in this forum could be deleted or edited. Read at your own risk. No complaining on what may happen.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

YES, I DO believe our nation was founded on religious princi

Post by E_ »

YES, I DO believe our nation was founded on religious principles.

http://www.lex18.com/news/pennsylvania- ... ust-motto/
LEX18 FB.PNG
LEX18 FB.PNG (183.88 KiB) Viewed 3773 times

The post above on Facebook lead to MANY declaring that the founding fathers were atheist and the country was founded with NO religious basis etc.

Jefferson's ideas are nowhere better expressed than in his compilations of extracts from the New Testament "The Philosophy of Jesus" (1804) and "The Life and Morals of Jesus" (1819-20?). The former stems from his concern with the problem of maintaining social harmony in a republican nation. The latter is a multilingual collection of verses that was a product of his private search for religious truth. Jefferson believed in the existence of a Supreme Being who was the creator and sustainer of the universe and the ultimate ground of being. <- From the Monticello site itself and quotes of Jefferson's own writings.

John Adams

SIGNER OF THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE; JUDGE; DIPLOMAT; ONE OF TWO SIGNERS OF THE BILL OF RIGHTS; SECOND PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were the general principles of Christianity. I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.1

Without religion, this world would be something not fit to be mentioned in polite company: I mean hell.2

The Christian religion is, above all the religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of wisdom, virtue, equity and humanity.3

Suppose a nation in some distant region should take the Bible for their only law book and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited. . . . What a Eutopia – what a Paradise would this region be!4

I have examined all religions, and the result is that the Bible is the best book in the world.5

James Madison

SIGNER OF THE CONSTITUTION; AUTHOR OF THE FEDERALIST PAPERS; FRAMER OF THE BILL OF RIGHTS; SECRETARY OF STATE; FOURTH PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

A watchful eye must be kept on ourselves lest, while we are building ideal monuments of renown and bliss here, we neglect to have our names enrolled in the Annals of Heaven.71

I have sometimes thought there could not be a stronger testimony in favor of religion or against temporal enjoyments, even the most rational and manly, than for men who occupy the most honorable and gainful departments and [who] are rising in reputation and wealth, publicly to declare their unsatisfactoriness by becoming fervent advocates in the cause of Christ; and I wish you may give in your evidence in this way.72

Robert Treat Paine

MILITARY CHAPLAIN; SIGNER OF THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE; ATTORNEY GENERAL OF MASSACHUSETTS; JUDGE

I desire to bless and praise the name of God most high for appointing me my birth in a land of Gospel Light where the glorious tidings of a Savior and of pardon and salvation through Him have been continually sounding in mine ears.86

I am constrained to express my adoration of the Supreme Being, the Author of my existence, in full belief of His Providential goodness and His forgiving mercy revealed to the world through Jesus Christ, through whom I hope for never ending happiness in a future state.87

I believe the Bible to be the written word of God and to contain in it the whole rule of faith and manners.88

http://christianity.about.com/od/indepe ... athers.htm
http://faithofourfathers.net/

Christianity and America

Last week, I heard it again: That oft-repeated urban legend that we’ve heard so often. This time, to my horror, I heard it from a well-educated pastor: “Our founding fathers were not Christians. They were deists, atheists, and agnostics.”

Au contraire!

The pilgrims, as you will recall, were, Christians fleeing Europe in order to escape religious persecution, and they literally began their stay in their new land with the words, “In the name of God, Amen.”

ConstitutionSigning

The pilgrims were followed to New England by the Puritans, who created bible-based commonwealths. Those commonwealths practiced the same sort of representative government as their church covenants. Those governmental covenants and compacts numbered more than 100, and were the foundation for our Constitution.

New Haven (Connecticut) and Massachusetts were founded by Puritans who wanted to reform the Church of England, who later became known as Congregationalists. Roger Williams founded the colony of Rhode Island based on the principle of freedom of conscience. Pennsylvania was established by William Penn as a Quaker colony. Maryland was a haven for Catholics from Protestant England.

America was indeed founded by bible-believing Christians and based on Christian principles. When they founded this country, the Founding Fathers envisioned a government that would promote and encourage Christianity.

All but two of the first 108 universities founded in America were Christian. This includes the first, Harvard, where the student handbook listed this as Rule #1: “Let every student be plainly instructed and earnestly pressed to consider well, the main end of his life and studies is to know God and Jesus Christ, which is eternal life, John 17:3; and therefore to lay Jesus Christ as the only foundation for our children to follow the moral principles of the Ten Commandments."

In 1777. Continental Congress voted to spend $300,000 to purchase bibles which were to be distributed throughout the 13 colonies! And in 1782, the United States Congress declared, “The Congress of the United States recommends and approves the Holy Bible for use in all schools."

So, let us take a look at some of the lives and words of our Founding Fathers to see whether they were Christians or whether history has been revised.

http://faithofourfathers.net/

http://www.wallbuilders.com/libissuesar ... sp?id=8755

The Founding Fathers on Jesus, Christianity and the Bible

David Barton - 05/2008

A Few Declarations of Founding Fathers and Early Statesmen on Jesus, Christianity, and the Bible

(This list is by no means exhaustive; many other Founders could be included, and even with those who appear below, additional quotes could have been used.)

John Adams

SIGNER OF THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE; JUDGE; DIPLOMAT; ONE OF TWO SIGNERS OF THE BILL OF RIGHTS; SECOND PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were the general principles of Christianity. I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.1

Without religion, this world would be something not fit to be mentioned in polite company: I mean hell.2

The Christian religion is, above all the religions that ever prevailed or existed in ancient or modern times, the religion of wisdom, virtue, equity and humanity.3

Suppose a nation in some distant region should take the Bible for their only law book and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited. . . . What a Eutopia – what a Paradise would this region be!4

I have examined all religions, and the result is that the Bible is the best book in the world.5

John Quincy Adams

SIXTH PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES; DIPLOMAT; SECRETARY OF STATE; U. S. SENATOR; U. S. REPRESENTATIVE; “OLD MAN ELOQUENT”; “HELL-HOUND OF ABOLITION”

My hopes of a future life are all founded upon the Gospel of Christ and I cannot cavil or quibble away [evade or object to]. . . . the whole tenor of His conduct by which He sometimes positively asserted and at others countenances [permits] His disciples in asserting that He was God.6

The hope of a Christian is inseparable from his faith. Whoever believes in the Divine inspiration of the Holy Scriptures must hope that the religion of Jesus shall prevail throughout the earth. Never since the foundation of the world have the prospects of mankind been more encouraging to that hope than they appear to be at the present time. And may the associated distribution of the Bible proceed and prosper till the Lord shall have made “bare His holy arm in the eyes of all the nations, and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God” [Isaiah 52:10].7

In the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday of the Savior. The Declaration of Independence laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity.8

Samuel Adams

SIGNER OF THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE; “FATHER OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION”; RATIFIER OF THE U. S. CONSTITUTION; GOVERNOR OF MASSACHUSETTS

I . . . [rely] upon the merits of Jesus Christ for a pardon of all my sins.9

The name of the Lord (says the Scripture) is a strong tower; thither the righteous flee and are safe [Proverbs 18:10]. Let us secure His favor and He will lead us through the journey of this life and at length receive us to a better.10

I conceive we cannot better express ourselves than by humbly supplicating the Supreme Ruler of the world . . . that the confusions that are and have been among the nations may be overruled by the promoting and speedily bringing in the holy and happy period when the kingdoms of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ may be everywhere established, and the people willingly bow to the scepter of Him who is the Prince of Peace.11

He also called on the State of Massachusetts to pray that . . .
•the peaceful and glorious reign of our Divine Redeemer may be known and enjoyed throughout the whole family of mankind.12
•we may with one heart and voice humbly implore His gracious and free pardon through Jesus Christ, supplicating His Divine aid . . . [and] above all to cause the religion of Jesus Christ, in its true spirit, to spread far and wide till the whole earth shall be filled with His glory.13
•with true contrition of heart to confess their sins to God and implore forgiveness through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ our Savior.14

Josiah Bartlett

MILITARY OFFICER; SIGNER OF THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE; JUDGE; GOVERNOR OF NEW HAMPSHIRE

Called on the people of New Hampshire . . . to confess before God their aggravated transgressions and to implore His pardon and forgiveness through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ . . . [t]hat the knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ may be made known to all nations, pure and undefiled religion universally prevail, and the earth be fill with the glory of the Lord.15

Gunning Bedford

MILITARY OFFICER; MEMBER OF THE CONTINENTAL CONGRESS; SIGNER OF THE CONSTITUTION; FEDERAL JUDGE

To the triune God – the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost – be ascribed all honor and dominion, forevermore – Amen.16

Elias Boudinot

PRESIDENT OF CONGRESS; SIGNED THE PEACE TREATY TO END THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION; FIRST ATTORNEY ADMITTED TO THE U. S. SUPREME COURT BAR; FRAMER OF THE BILL OF RIGHTS; DIRECTOR OF THE U. S. MINT

Let us enter on this important business under the idea that we are Christians on whom the eyes of the world are now turned… [L]et us earnestly call and beseech Him, for Christ’s sake, to preside in our councils. . . . We can only depend on the all powerful influence of the Spirit of God, Whose Divine aid and assistance it becomes us as a Christian people most devoutly to implore. Therefore I move that some minister of the Gospel be requested to attend this Congress every morning . . . in order to open the meeting with prayer.17

A letter to his daughter:

You have been instructed from your childhood in the knowledge of your lost state by nature – the absolute necessity of a change of heart and an entire renovation of soul to the image of Jesus Christ – of salvation through His meritorious righteousness only – and the indispensable necessity of personal holiness without which no man shall see the Lord [Hebrews 12:14]. You are well acquainted that the most perfect and consummate doctrinal knowledge is of no avail without it operates on and sincerely affects the heart, changes the practice, and totally influences the will – and that without the almighty power of the Spirit of God enlightening your mind, subduing your will, and continually drawing you to Himself, you can do nothing. . . . And may the God of your parents (for many generations past) seal instruction to your soul and lead you to Himself through the blood of His too greatly despised Son, Who notwithstanding, is still reclaiming the world to God through that blood, not imputing to them their sins. To Him be glory forever!18

For nearly half a century have I anxiously and critically studied that invaluable treasure [the Bible]; and I still scarcely ever take it up that I do not find something new – that I do not receive some valuable addition to my stock of knowledge or perceive some instructive fact never observed before. In short, were you to ask me to recommend the most valuable book in the world, I should fix on the Bible as the most instructive both to the wise and ignorant. Were you to ask me for one affording the most rational and pleasing entertainment to the inquiring mind, I should repeat, it is the Bible; and should you renew the inquiry for the best philosophy or the most interesting history, I should still urge you to look into your Bible. I would make it, in short, the Alpha and Omega of knowledge.19

Jacob Broom

LEGISLATOR; SIGNER OF THE CONSTITUTION

A letter to his son, James, attending Princeton University:

I flatter myself you will be what I wish, but don’t be so much flatterer as to relax of your application – don’t forget to be a Christian. I have said much to you on this head, and I hope an indelible impression is made.20

Charles Carroll

SIGNER OF THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE; SELECTED AS DELEGATE TO THE CONSTITUTIONAL CONVENTION; FRAMER OF THE BILL OF RIGHTS; U. S. SENATOR

On the mercy of my Redeemer I rely for salvation and on His merits, not on the works I have done in obedience to His precepts.21

Grateful to Almighty God for the blessings which, through Jesus Christ Our Lord, He had conferred on my beloved country in her emancipation and on myself in permitting me, under circumstances of mercy, to live to the age of 89 years, and to survive the fiftieth year of independence, adopted by Congress on the 4th of July 1776, which I originally subscribed on the 2d day of August of the same year and of which I am now the last surviving signer.22

I, Charles Carroll. . . . give and bequeath my soul to God who gave it, my body to the earth, hoping that through and by the merits, sufferings, and mediation of my only Savior and Jesus Christ, I may be admitted into the Kingdom prepared by God for those who love, fear and truly serve Him.23

Congress, 1854

The great, vital, and conservative element in our system is the belief of our people in the pure doctrines and the divine truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.24

Congress, U. S. House Judiciary Committee, 1854

Had the people, during the Revolution, had a suspicion of any attempt to war against Christianity, that Revolution would have been strangled in its cradle... In this age, there can be no substitute for Christianity... That was the religion of the founders of the republic and they expected it to remain the religion of their descendants.25

See link in quote for much much more info!
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Nebrios

Re: YES, I DO believe our nation was founded on religious pr

Post by Nebrios »

You cannot turn from God, and expect to bear the fruit of righteousness and that's true for an individual, a group or nation. When you turn from God, you turn to lies.

This country is truly doomed..September 2015 will be the test of the harbinger...wonder what the message will be.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Adding this here the Thanksgiving Proclamation
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7064&p=48659

Thanksgiving Proclamation

Issued by President George Washington, at the request of Congress, on October 3, 1789

By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and—Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me “to recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:”

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favor, able interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquillity, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted; for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations, and beseech Him to pardon our national and other trangressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally, to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.

Go. Washington
Sure doesn't sound like he didn't want to mention the LORD in Govt business does it? Our First president and one of the founding fathers.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

On October 3, 1789, recognizing “the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God,” Pres. Washington declared a national day of thanksgiving and prayer thanking God for His “many signal favors,” including the Constitution.

George Washington first added “so help me God” to his inaugural oath, every president since has likewise asked for God’s assistance at his inauguration.

Since its first meeting in 1774, Congress has opened its sessions with prayer, usually given by its official chaplains in both houses

"Though also sometimes labeled a deist, Washington doesn't fit the definition of a deist as a person who sees God as similar to a clockmaker, a being who created the world and set life into motion, watching over events on earth without interfering. Washington believed in a God who responded to prayer and human need. Of his experiences in the battlefield, Washington reported, "By the all powerful dispensations of Providence, I have been protected beyond all human probability or expectation.""

Washington states in his Farewell Address, "Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports... And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle."

"John Adams was a self-professed "church-going animal" who made no secret of his religiosity. Raised in the Congregational Church, the established church in his home state of Massachusetts, John Adams later became a Unitarian. Unitarianism, a liberal strand of Christianity popular in New England, began in the liberal wing of the Congregational Church. Adams' childhood church subscribed to Unitarian principles 75 years before fully separating from the Congregational denomination. "

JOhn Adams - "Without religion, this world would be something not fit to be mentioned in polite company -- I mean hell." "

" Jefferson drew from the New Testaments in Greek, Latin, French and English to create The Life and Morals of Jesus, commonly known as the Jefferson Bible. Based on this work, he acknowledged to a close friend that he was "a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus." For Jefferson, it was the moral message of Jesus, not claims of his birth, death and resurrection, that lay at the center of the Christian faith."

http://www.pbs.org/godinamerica/god-in-the-white-house/

From 1795 until the 1860’s, Christian church services were held on Sundays in the Capitol building in Washington, D.C., attended by such presidents as Jefferson, Madison, John Quincy Adams, and Lincoln, and many other government officials. (At left, the Capitol in 1800.)
A statue of Moses holding the Ten Commandments is featured in the rotunda of the Library of Congress.

"The Thomas Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C. quotes excerpts from our third President’s bill titled the Virginia Statute Establishing Religious Freedom, which passed the Virginia Legislature on January 16, 1786: “Almighty God hath created the mind free. All attempts to influence it by temporal punishments or burthens . . . are a departure from the plan ofthe Holy Author of our religion.”"

With a longhand version of dating rarely used today, the Constitution was signed on “the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.”

The famous Liberty Bell of Philadelphia is inscribed with the message of freedom found in Leviticus 25:10, “Proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof.”

The aluminum capstone that crowns the Washington Monument is inscribed on the east face with “LAUS DEO,” Latin for “Praise be to God.”

In the founding era, the word “religion” as used in the First Amendment was defined in the 1776 (and current) Virginia Constitution, by James Madison in his Memorial and Remon-strance, and in other sources as: “the duty which we owe to our Creator and the manner of discharging it.”

In his first Inaugural Address on April 30, 1789, George Washington repeatedly talked about God’s blessings upon America, saying, “No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the Invisible Hand which conducts the affairs of men more than the people of the United States.”

So Help Me God - The Judiciary Act of 1789 and current law require Supreme Court justices and lower court judges to swear or affirm to “faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties” of office, “according to the best of my abilities and understanding, agreeably to the constitution, and laws of the United States. So help me God.“

In 1776, the signers of the Declaration of Independence boldly proclaimed the United States free of Great Britain, “appealing tothe Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions.”

In the U.S. Senate Chamber, an inscription over the south entrance reads “In God we Trust,” and an inscription over the east doorway reads “Annuit coeptis” (“God has favored our undertakings”).

In the Main Reading Room of the Library of Congress, a statue representing Religion features this inscription: WHAT DOTH THE LORD REQUIRE OF THEE, BUT TO DO JUSTLY, AND TO LOVE MERCY, AND TO WALK HUMBLY WITH THY GOD? Holy Bible, Micah 6:8. Another statue representingScience has this inscription: “THE HEAVENS DECLARE THE GLORY OF GOD; AND THE FIRMAMENT SHEWETH HIS HANDIWORK. Holy Bible, Psalms 19:1.“

The Articles of Confederation, which initially governed the United States until the Constitution replaced it, referred to “the Great Governor of the World” and was signed “in the year of our Lord” 1778.

The historic landing of the English settlers at Cape Henry, Virginia, where they erected a wooden cross and held a prayer service. Their first charter granted by King James I to settle Jamestown stated their reliance upon “the Providence of Almighty God” and their work in “propagating” the “Christian Religion” to the native people.

The Treaty of Paris, made with Great Britain to end the Revolutionary War and signed by John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, and John Jay on September 3, 1783, begins, “In the Name of the most Holy and undivided Trinity.”

Benjamin Franklin called for daily prayers at the Constitutional Convention on June 28, 1787, reminding the delegates that their daily prayers “for Divine protection” during the Revolutionary War were heard and answered. “And have we now forgotten that powerful Friend? or do we imagine we no longer need His assistance? I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth–that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?”

The language of the First Amendment was approved by Congress on September 25, 1789, only 4 months after George Washington summed up his ideas of religious liberty in a letter to Virginia Baptists, stating: “[E]very man, conducting himself as a good citizen, and being accountable to God alone for his religious opinions, ought to be protected in worshipping the Deity according to the dictates of his own conscience.”

Charles Carroll, signer of the Constitution from Maryland, wrote on November 4, 1800: “Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time. . . . They therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure and which insures to the good eternal happiness, are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments.”

In A Summary View of the Rights of British America (1774), Thomas Jefferson wrote, “The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time: the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them.”

After American Colonel Henry Knox stealthily moved 59 cannon from Ft. Ticonderoga, NY, to a strategic position overlooking, and forcing the retreat of, the British troops in Boston, General George Washington on March 6, 1776, ordered the next day to be “a day of fasting, prayer and humiliation, ‘to implore the Lord and Giver of all victory to pardon our manifold sins and wickedness, and that it would please Him to bless the Continental army with His divine favor and protection,’ all officers and soldiers are strictly enjoined to pay all due reverence on that day to the sacred duties of the Lord of hosts.”

John Quincy Adams, our 6th President and the brilliant son of our 2d, once wrote to his own son in Sept. of 1811 that he personally “read through the Bible once every year,” and that “so great is my veneration for the Bible, and so strong my belief, that when duly read and meditated on, it is of all books in the world, that which contributes most to make men good, wise, and happy, that the earlier my children begin to read it…the more lively and confident will be my hopes that they will prove useful citizens to their country, respectable members of society, and a real blessing to their parents.”

James Wilson—signer of the Declaration, leading drafter of the Constitution, and original Supreme Court Justice—stated in hisLectures on Law the belief of many of the founders that law and religion were not to be separated: “Far from being rivals or enemies, religion and law are twin sisters, friends, and mutual assistants. Indeed, these two sciences run into each other. The divine law, as discovered by reason and the moral sense, forms an essential part of both.”

The day after signing the Declaration of Independence, John Adams predicted in a letter to his wife Abigail on July 3, 1776, that Independence Day would be “celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.”

On August 1, 1776, after the Declaration of Independence was signed, Samuel Adams said in a speech at the State House in Philadelphia, “We have this day restored the Sovereign to whom all alone men ought to be obedient. He reigns in Heaven, and with a propitious eye beholds his subjects assuming that freedom of thought, and dignity of self-direction which He bestowed on them. From the rising to the setting sun, may His kingdom come.”

John Marshall, born Sept. 24, 1755, was the 4th Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court but its most influential member during his 34-year tenure. Marshall wrote to Jasper Adams on May 9, 1833: “The American population is entirely Christian, and with us Christianity and Religion are identified. It would be strange indeed, if with such a people, our institutions did not presuppose Christianity and did not often refer to it and exhibit relations with it.”

Rev. John Peter Muhlenberg, born Oct. 1, 1746, preached a fiery sermon to his Virginia church based on Ecclesiastes 3 during the War for Independence, saying while he removed his cleric’s robe to reveal a military officer’s uniform underneath, “There is a time to preach and a time to fight, and now is the time to fight!”That day Muhlenberg, as a colonel, led about 300 men of his church into the battle and later served in the first U.S. Congress.

At the first presidential inauguration on April 30, 1789 in New York City, George Washington took his oath with his hand on the Bible, added “so help me God” to the end of the oath, kissed the Bible, gave an Inaugural Address in which he repeatedly acknowledged God, and then walked with other officials to a church service at St. Paul’s Chapel.

Andrew Jackson, our 7th President, recognized the providence of God in his 2nd Inaugural address: “Finally, it is my most fervent prayer to that Almighty Being before whom I now stand, and who has kept us in His hands from the infancy of our Republic to the present day, that He will so overrule all my intentions and actions and inspire the hearts of my fellow-citizens that we may be preserved from dangers of all kinds and continue forever a united and happy people.”

...hmmm and many still try to say they were atheist.....
Mary Lou 2
Marina/Ramp: LFM

Post by Mary Lou 2 »

This is the best post i have ever read bar none !!!!!
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Thanks Mary Lou 2
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

TTT
E_
Site Admin

Re: YES, I DO believe our nation was founded on religious princi

Post by E_ »

https://www.theepochtimes.com/actor-nic ... 20-11-03-2
US NEWS
Actor Nick Searcy: America Was Built on Faith, Religious Freedom
BY ELLA KIETLINSKA November 3, 2020 Updated: November 3, 2020 Print
After observing the COVID-19-related lockdowns and restrictions on religious gatherings in the United States, actor Nick Searcy set about delving into the nation’s origins and history to gain an understanding of events currently unfolding across the country, with the goal of producing a documentary that would shed some light on the truth.

During the process, Searcy and filmmakers who were working on the documentary, which premiered last month, realized that America is built on faith and they “were really making a movie about religious liberty,” he said.

The people who settled in America were pilgrims who came for religious freedom and sought “to be able to worship God in the way they wanted to, without being controlled by the government of England,” Searcy told The Epoch Times’ “Crossroads” program

His film, “America, America, God Shed His Grace on Thee,” which features Searcy conducting interviews, “tries to build the case, or remind people of the case that the Bible was the inspiration for the Constitution,” he said.

“These Christians founded America on an Old Testament basis largely,” radio host Dennis Prager says in the documentary. “They took the great ideas of the Hebrew Bible and made them universal.”

The late Herman Cain, a businessman, author, commentator, and former presidential candidate, when interviewed by Searcy in the film, cites the preamble to the Declaration of Independence, which says, “We hold these truths be self-evident that all men are created equal and they are endowed by their Creator—with certain unalienable rights.”

“It didn’t try to name any one particular creator, it gave everybody the luxury,” Cain says in the movie.

Epoch Times Photo
Actor Nick Searcy arrives for the premiere of National Geographic’s “The Hot Zone” at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills, Calif., on May 9, 2019. (Mark Ralston/AFP via Getty Images)
The American Revolution was grounded in a bottom-up idea of government, in which “the people had the power to elect the officials that they wanted to elect,” but at the same time, America was a godly nation “that respected the authority of a higher power than the government,” Searcy said.

On the contrary, the French Revolution which occurred shortly after, as well as all socialist and communist revolutions, were informed by the concept that “the government is the highest source of power,” Searcy said.

That’s why they had to “remove any vestige of a belief in a higher power or as much as they can,” he added.

“They don’t want to have any, any authority higher than the almighty state,” he continued, because “if you have a population that believes that their power comes from God and not the government, they can’t be controlled.”

Searcy says the reason he produced a documentary about religious liberty was to explore the root cause of the recent clashes in the United States over religious freedom. He cited as examples New York State Gov. Andrew Cuomo threatening to close synagogues that didn’t comply with lockdown rules and California Gov. Gavin Newsom fining churches for opening amid prolonged lockdowns imposed in response to COVID-19, which is caused by the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus.

What Went Wrong?
Searcy said the filmmakers wanted to explore when things changed in America. He noted one the reasons was the institution of slavery, which “became a stain on the country that had to be corrected.”

“The mechanism to correct it was built into the Constitution” because the people who designed the document knew that slavery was a “terrible institution and it would have to be someday removed and done away with,” Searcy said.

The country fought a war to end slavery because Americans knew that it was wrong, he added.

However, that stain was exploited by the country’s enemies—the enemies of freedom and individual liberty—who “have been able to use [the stain] to try to turn people against the country,” Searcy said.

The idea that “America is a racist country, and it was built on sin and slavery is a tactic used by the left to sort of demonize the entire country … to make it easier to disassemble, because what they’re, what they’re really trying to do is destroy the country and replace it with something else,” he said.

“The great battle in America right now is not Republican–Democrat, it’s not white–black, it’s not male–female, it’s not even left–right, it’s good versus evil,” former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, said as he was interviewed in the documentary by Searcy. “And, in a greater sense, our battle is not political, it’s spiritual.”

Over the years, “the left has been able … to chip away at the idea that really what this country is based on is a faith in God and in individual liberty under that God and that we answer to no higher power than God,” Searcy said.

However, “America is the only government in the world that is a self-correcting government that the people can actually change, rather than just having a dictator change its mind,” he added.

Joshua Philipp contributed to this report.
Sunset Lady

Re: YES, I DO believe our nation was founded on religious princi

Post by Sunset Lady »

Good article.
Unfortunately many people do not know, nor would believe any of this. At least Pres Trump exposed a lot of it, but who knows now.

Return to “Dare we speak politics?”