SHUTDOWN

PLAY NICE! No ATTACKS on anyone or any religion. Try to stay fact based and back up your facts with a reputable source. Do not temp the Mod Squad as no attacks on other users or threats of any type will be tolerated. Any post in this forum could be deleted or edited. Read at your own risk. No complaining on what may happen.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

SHUTDOWN

Post by E_ »

Can't believe we are not talking about this more...

Here is something to get you going

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/10/84042-s ... med-obama/
The unnamed source is quoted as saying “We are winning…It doesn’t really matter to us how long the shutdown lasts because what matters is the end result.”

Boehner described how he tried to negotiate with Democratic leaders at the White House only to find out via the Wall Street Journal that the Obama administration’s sole objective is “beating” the GOP.

JOHN BOEHNER: Good morning, everyone. When we have a crisis like the one we’re in the middle of this week, the American people expect their leaders to sit down and try to resolve their differences. I was at the White House the other night and listening to the president some 20 times explain to me why he wasn’t going to negotiate. I sat there and listened to the majority leader in the United States Senate describe to me that we’re not going to talk until we surrender. I get The Wall Street Journal out and it says “we don’t care how long this lasts because we’re winning.” This isn’t some d@mn game. The American people don’t want their government shut down and neither do I. All we’re asking for is to sit down and have a discussion and reopen the government and to bring fairness to the American people under Obamacare. It’s as simple as that. But it all has to begin with a simple discussion.

This is exactly the tone the Republicans need to take in order to try to sway public opinion to their side. Boehner made clear they don’t want a government shutdown, and that they’re only asking Obama make concessions to postpone legislation that is unpopular and isn’t working.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: SHUTDOWN

Post by E_ »

Sixth District Report

Dear Friend,

As of midnight, President Obama and the Democrat-controlled Senate had still refused to pass any of the four proposals for keeping the government open passed by the House of Representatives. As a result, the federal government has shut down until an agreement to resume government funding can be reached.

I have voted four times to prevent a shutdown, and in the spirit of Henry Clay, urged all sides to negotiate and compromise to reach a fair solution. When one side will not join the conversation, it is impossible to negotiate a solution.

Hous e Passes #NoSpecialTreatment Provision

I also believe that the President and Members of Congress should live by the same health care law that they have imposed on the American people.

Since coming to Congress, I have advocated the elimination of Obamacare exemptions for Congress and congressional staff. I introduced the Live by the Laws You Write Act in May to close Obamacare’s congressional loophole and ensure that Congress and its staff are not exempt from the laws that it writes. I now have over 4,000 "Citizen Cosponsors" of this important legislation and encourage you to sign up by going to www.Barr.House.Gov/NoSpecialTreatment .

Yesterday, the House made this provision a central piece of its provision to continue to fund the government because w e must end the special privileges for the political class in Washington. It's time for Americans to get the same deal that President Obama and fellow Democrats have given themselves and powerful special interest groups.

It's a simple concept: Why should we allow the administration to delay Obamacare for large employers and exempt Members of Congress and the political elite, but not also provide relief for individuals and families?

I call on my colleagues in the House, both on this side and that side of the aisle, to support fairness for the American people.

If Obamacare is what the president insists on, then it should apply to everyone. And that includes the politicians in Washington.

While I continue to work towards a bipartisan solution and press the Senate to pass a responsible measure to keep the government funded, President Obama and the Democrat-controlled Senate have refused to pass any of the continuing resolutions proposed by the House of Representatives and continue to refuse to come to the table to negotiate.

As a result, the federal government will shut down until an agreement can be reached to resume government funding.

What Does a Shutdown Mean For You?

While I remain optimistic that a reasonable, bipartisan agreement will be negotiated to reopen the government, I wanted to answer some questions you may have about what a government shutdown means for you:

•Will your staff be holding traveling office hours during the government shutdown? Due to the requirements of the Anti-Deficiency Act, which prohibits incurrance of debt when there is no appropriations bill in effect, the House has been required to furlough staff and reduce significant operations. As a result, my staff's traveling office hours have been temporarily suspended. In addition, tours of the U.S. Capitol, flying of flags above the Capitol and other services will be suspended for the duration of the shutdown.

•Will I still get my mail? Yes. The U. S. Postal Service functions as an independent business unit.

•Will seniors continue to get Social Security benefits? Yes. Social Security is a mandatory spending program , and the people who send those checks would continue to work under a legal doctrine called "necessary implication."

•Can I get a passport? The Department of State says, “consular operations domestically and overseas will remain 100% operational as long as there are sufficient fees to support operations.”

•Will food safety inspections continue? The Food Safety and Inspection Service would continue all safety-related activities. The Food and Drug Administration would limit its activities but continue to monitor recalls and conduct investigations .

•Will this affect my bank? No. Banking and access to your accounts will not be affected.

•Will disaster response be affected? No.

•What will happen to veterans receiving compensation for service-or combat-related wounds and injuries? The Department of Veterans Affairs says it has the funds to continue support into late October.

•Will active-duty military be furloughed? No. All active-duty military are essential and should report as scheduled. I have supported legislation to ensure that members of the military and their families are not harmed by a disruption in pay due to a shutdown.

•Will this diminish our national security? No. Federal law enforcement and government security agencies will continue to serve and protect the American people.

•Will the IRS continue to collect taxes? Yes. All payments will be processed.

•Will some federal employees continue to work during a shutdown? Yes. Employees considered necessary to protect public health, safety or property will continue to work. Employees necessary for the President and Congress to carry out their constitutional responsibilities are exempt. Finally, employees whose salaries are paid from sources outside an annual spending bill can still get paid and report to work.

•Will the President be paid during a shutdown? Yes. The president's $400,000 salary is mandatory spending. If furloughs begin to affect the government's ability to process payroll, his paycheck could be delayed.
Those who make the laws should have to live by those laws. So as a result of partisan bickering and gridlock, I will be donating my salary for the duration of the government shutdown to local charities until the Senate and President agree to negotiate with the House and we are able to work together to find a solution and reopen the government.

You may also visit my website for more information about a partial government shutdown .

Sincerely,

Andy Barr
Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

Pathetic...everyone of them,dems and repubs,need an a$$ kicking...
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

The Dems think they have the cards in this fight, the WWII memorial deal was a real bad play on their part. I think the American public is seeing through all this crap.....
imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Post by imaposer »

How would ya'll feel if a Democratic controlled house wouldn't vote on a new budget unless some gun control measures that they didn't have the votes to pass on it's own was being pushed as part of the package?
Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

Id like to see a nationwide revolt....ban lobbying.....potus to be elected by standard vote...no more electoral crap...tax system revamped...get rid of the federal reserve...bring back actual lawfull money...and a whole lot of other things...
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Post by Lock5 »

imaposer wrote:How would ya'll feel if a Democratic controlled house wouldn't vote on a new budget unless some gun control measures that they didn't have the votes to pass on it's own was being pushed as part of the package?

How would you feel if the Dems wanted to spend a trillion more than we will take in next year without any budget! plus want to implement a total takeover of Healthcare in America?

Oppppps that is what's happening and the GOP shut the Government down to try and stop it. :ymhug:
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Nebrios wrote:Id like to see a nationwide revolt....ban lobbying.....potus to be elected by standard vote...no more electoral crap...tax system revamped...get rid of the federal reserve...bring back actual lawfull money...and a whole lot of other things...

Electoral is the right idea but needs to be reworked to the original intent. It was so states like ours are not controlled by New York, cd Frisco Chicago, etc.
imaposer
Better Member

Post by imaposer »

Lock5 wrote:
imaposer wrote:How would ya'll feel if a Democratic controlled house wouldn't vote on a new budget unless some gun control measures that they didn't have the votes to pass on it's own was being pushed as part of the package?

How would you feel if the Dems wanted to spend a trillion more than we will take in next year without any budget! plus want to implement a total takeover of Healthcare in America?

Oppppps that is what's happening and the GOP shut the Government down to try and stop it. :ymhug:
No, the shut down is completely due to obamacare. Yes, it is a complete load of crap, and it should have been stopped long before now, but since it hasn't been, it should be fought on it's own, not holding the rest of the government as hostage for negotiations. As much as I want to see Obamacare go away, I'm afraid if the repubs manage to get any concessions on it this way, it will be setting the precedent that this is how things are to be done from this point forward. Our system in an endless state of gridlock is not a good thing.
I truly don't think it matters at this point as I feel we have already gone past the point of no return and our country is failing. How fast it implodes is the only thing yet to be determined.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I do like the idea of them only turning on services back on one vote at a time that are essential.

I DO NOT like them voting for back pay etc. I have worked at factories etc. and when I was layed off I was layed off. Why should it be any different for someone that lives off my tax money?
imaposer
Better Member

Post by imaposer »

E_HILLMAN wrote:I do like the idea of them only turning on services back on one vote at a time that are essential.

I DO NOT like them voting for back pay etc. I have worked at factories etc. and when I was layed off I was layed off. Why should it be any different for someone that lives off my tax money?

Yes on both parts. The idea that all the workers are now laughing and supporting this to go on as long as possible as it is a paid vacation is unbelievable. If we're going to pay them anyway, get their asses back in there and get to work. Unreal. :-w
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

I don't claim to be the sharpest tool in the shed but, I don't believe any laws should be passed with only one party voting on it. Especially something as big as the healthcare law. Not one Republican voted for this crap and over half the country do not want it. I don't care what the laws about, it should be both parties decision and not just who is in power. I think they could have broken this law down into pieces and passed a little bit at a time, not this trillion page law that has a whole lot of things in it that doesn't even have anything to do with healthcare.
imaposer
Better Member

Post by imaposer »

Sunset Lady wrote:
I don't claim to be the sharpest tool in the shed but, I don't believe any laws should be passed with only one party voting on it. Especially something as big as the healthcare law. Not one Republican voted for this crap and over half the country do not want it. I don't care what the laws about, it should be both parties decision and not just who is in power. I think they could have broken this law down into pieces and passed a little bit at a time, not this trillion page law that has a whole lot of things in it that doesn't even have anything to do with healthcare.

Well then, we better get working on changing how our entire system works. One party, half and half, majority of both, it doesn't matter. The parties are irrelevant. They come and go and change over time. Hopefully a third party becomes viable soon.
It's a matter of did the majority of the people who were elected by the majority of their constituents vote for it. And they did. How that works as a percentage of the over all population does not matter. That's our current system. And, I agree, it's broken. But, this current situation isn't addressing that issue, it's focusing on one point, obamacare. I'd rather follow the law, move on, and go about making our system work again. If this tactic works, it will be fair game for the Dems to try use it next time the situation is reversed. I don't want to see that happen.
Sunset Lady

Post by Sunset Lady »

I agree, the system is broken.

Thought this was an interesting read.

Who Locked Little Johnny Out of Yellowstone?
Oct 4, 2013 Charles Krauthammer
WASHINGTON -- The Obamacare/shutdown battle has spawned myriad myths. The most egregious concern the substance of the fight, the identity of the perpetrators and the origins of the current eruption.

(1) Substance

President Obama indignantly insists that GOP attempts to abolish or amend Obamacare are unseemly because it is "settled" law, having passed both houses of Congress, obtained his signature and passed muster with the Supreme Court.

Yes, settledness makes for a strong argument -- except from a president whose administration has unilaterally changed Obamacare five times after its passage, including, most brazenly, a year-long suspension of the employer mandate.

Article 1 of the Constitution grants the legislative power entirely to Congress. Under what constitutional principle has Obama unilaterally amended the law? Yet when the House of Representatives undertakes a constitutionally correct, i.e., legislative, procedure for suspending the other mandate -- the individual mandate -- this is portrayed as some extra-constitutional sabotage of the rule of law. Why is tying that amendment to a generalized spending bill an outrage, while unilateral amendment by the executive (with a Valerie Jarrett blog item for spin) is perfectly fine?

(2) Perpetrators

The mainstream media have been fairly unanimous in blaming the government shutdown on the GOP. Accordingly, House Republicans presented three bills to restore funding to national parks, veterans and the District of Columbia government. Democrats voted down all three. (For procedural reasons, the measures required a two-thirds majority.)

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid won't even consider these refunding measures. And the White House has promised a presidential veto.

The reason is obvious: to prolong the pain and thus add to the political advantage gained from a shutdown blamed on the GOP. They are confident the media will do a "GOP makes little Johnny weep at the closed gates of Yellowstone, film at 11" despite Republicans having just offered legislation to open them.

(3) Origins

Read more at http://www.arcamax.com/politics/charles ... bbPfkCi.99
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

So apparently Oct 17 is the date...we default on our loans....then what. Will Chinas 200 million man army cross the Three Gorges Dam in true biblical fashion. (rev9:16)
Will defaulting cause our currency to plunder to a point where essential things will be a high cost....will defaulting crush what industry is left in America...will it spark a nationwide martial law...only time will tell...With all the BS that has gone on during the present POTUS's ruling, impeachment should have been started long ago with him. The required amount of signatures to start impeachment has been met several times with no further action...Then you have Boehner on TV saying the POTUS refuses to negotiate with any republican at all...why hasn't Boner started an impeachment? Why hasn't anyone in congress done it?
Jaybird
Better Member

Post by Jaybird »

It is not unusual to see large banners on bridges over I-75 in Northern Kentucky that read Impeach Obama. I have seen them on more than one occasion.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Nebrios wrote:So apparently Oct 17 is the date...we default on our loans....then what. Will Chinas 200 million man army cross the Three Gorges Dam in true biblical fashion. (rev9:16)
Will defaulting cause our currency to plunder to a point where essential things will be a high cost....will defaulting crush what industry is left in America...will it spark a nationwide martial law...only time will tell...With all the BS that has gone on during the present POTUS's ruling, impeachment should have been started long ago with him. The required amount of signatures to start impeachment has been met several times with no further action...Then you have Boehner on TV saying the POTUS refuses to negotiate with any republican at all...why hasn't Boner started an impeachment? Why hasn't anyone in congress done it?

If the govt is truly shut down doesn't the govt take in enough daily to pay on the debt? We don't HAVE to default IMO...
Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

E_HILLMAN wrote:
Nebrios wrote:So apparently Oct 17 is the date...we default on our loans....then what. Will Chinas 200 million man army cross the Three Gorges Dam in true biblical fashion. (rev9:16)

If the govt is truly shut down doesn't the govt take in enough daily to pay on the debt? We don't HAVE to default IMO...

You'd think so.... Even with the furloughs and shutdown we are still spending $10000.00 a second. The same amount we have spent since the whole 9/11 ordeal...
http://www.usdebtclock.org/
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Well they had to pay people and buy stuff to shut things down that were unmanned. lol Yes I know they will let the worse happen if they can get away with it. I think it is what they have wanted all along. Well maybe not they but someone pulling strings must be trying to make it happen.
Nebrios

Post by Nebrios »

Eagles $10 247 4/8 grain (16.0 g) pure or 270 grain (17.5 g) standard gold
Half Eagles $5 123 6/8 grain (8.02 g) pure or 135 grain (8.75 g) standard gold
Quarter Eagles $2.50 61 7/8 grain (4.01 g) pure or 67 4/8 grain (4.37 g) standard gold
Dollars or Units $1 371 4/16 grain (24.1 g) pure or 416 grain (27.0 g) standard silver
Half Dollars $0.50 185 10/16 grain (12.0 g) pure or 208 grain (13.5 g) standard silver
Quarter Dollars $0.25 92 13/16 grain (6.01 g) pure or 104 grains (6.74 g) standard silver
Dismes $0.10 37 2/16 grain (2.41 g) pure or 41 3/5 grain (2.70 g) standard silver
Half Dismes $0.05 18 9/16 grain (1.20 g) pure or 20 4/5 grain (1.35 g) standard silver
Cents $0.01 11 pennyweights (17.1 g) of copper
Half Cents $0.005 5 1/2 pennyweights (8.55 g) of copper

Which brings me to this...lawful money. That green $h!t we carry in our wallets has unlawfully changed our economy...stick to the above and this economy will change. Get rid of the federal reserve and its fiat money and go back to the old ways..
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I do agree with that, it is a real "gurantee" of worth/value.
imaposer
Better Member

Post by imaposer »

Congrats Republicans!!! A 16 day paid holiday for gov't workers, A step back in the recovery of our economy, and absolutely not a thing to show for it. Good job! :-w

What a joke. 8-}
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Lock5 »

They had the better ideas, they just didn't have the Nads to see it through, perfect example of why we should have term limits. If more folks were voting their brain instead of their re-election chances this Country wouldn't be in the shape it is.
imaposer
Better Member

Post by imaposer »

Lock5 wrote:They had the better ideas, they just didn't have the Nads to see it through, perfect example of why we should have term limits. If more folks were voting their brain instead of their re-election chances this Country wouldn't be in the shape it is.
Exactly. Obumma is already lame duck, he had nothing to lose by saying no negotiations, shut it down if you think that's what needs to happen. How/Why the repubs couldn't see that back on Oct. 1 is beyond me.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

I am not happy at all they didn't see it through and I am CERTAINLY not happy that furloughed workers are getting back pay. When I was laid off trying to earn tax money for them to be paid with I DID NOT get back pay in fact the unemployment that I and employers paid in also had taxes taken out on it as well.

FRIGGIN BS!

No reason to default. We would have just had to shut down a bunch of unnecessary stuff to pay the bills.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Rand Paul

Tonight, a deal was struck to re-open the government and avoid the debt ceiling deadline. That is a good thing. However, our country faces a problem bigger than any deadline: a $17 trillion debt. I am disappointed that Democrats would not compromise to avoid the looming debt debacle. I voted no.

http://www.paul.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=1007

Like · · 45,7636,0982,786 · 12 hours ago ·

Return to “Dare we speak politics?”