If you can't ban 'em, tax 'em.

PLAY NICE! No ATTACKS on anyone or any religion. Try to stay fact based and back up your facts with a reputable source. Do not temp the Mod Squad as no attacks on other users or threats of any type will be tolerated. Any post in this forum could be deleted or edited. Read at your own risk. No complaining on what may happen.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: old Alli-1

If you can't ban 'em, tax 'em.

Post by Nervous Wreck »

'TAX', I'm SO TIRED OF THAT FRIGGEN WORD!

Lawmakers looking to more tightly regulate firearms in the wake of the Newtown school shooting and other massacres are moving at the state and federal levels to introduce new taxes on firearms and ammunition.

The proposals range from the modest -- a proposed 5 percent tax in New Jersey -- to the steep -- a proposed 50 percent ammo tax in Maryland. The bills follow efforts to ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines and expand background checks, measures that have had mixed success at the state level.

The taxes -- much like so-called "sin taxes," like those on cigarettes -- serve a dual purpose. They can deter buyers, while using the extra revenue for favored programs. In this case, the sponsors want to direct the money toward mental health services, police training and victims' treatment.

But firearms groups say a "sin tax" on firearms wrongly punishes law-abiding gun owners.

"If anything, gun owners ought to be getting a tax rebate for helping reduce crime," said Lawrence Keane, senior vice president and general counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

He said the purpose of the taxes is to "frustrate and limit the exercise of the Second Amendment." While noting some of the revenue from these taxes and fees would go to victims' services, Keane said those paying the tax are mostly not those responsible for gun crime.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/03 ... z2NFoUWzMw
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: If you can't ban 'em, tax 'em.

Post by E_ »

yeah this burn muh britches. What are they doing with the tax money they are already getting from sales?
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Nebrios

Re: If you can't ban 'em, tax 'em.

Post by Nebrios »

Hmmm....ignorant a$$ polticians. In light of the last 12 years,the senseless use of our military,the bailout program, removal of God from schools, and what ever other dumb idea they have come up with. I propose this, Start off with a 50% reduction of pay for all government offials from state governers and up. Reduce their top notch benefits down to the average americans benefits,even paying for a portion of their benefits. Now for my sin tax. Since a majority of these guys dont even need the paycheck from the taxpayers. We will tax what is left of their already reduce paycheck at 40%. From there their pay will be based on performance. No more abuse of taxpayers money. They pay out of pocket for everything.

Well thats what Ive come up with so far.... I gotta do this in true politician style you know. Which means Ill have to make my plan about 1200 pages and only understandable by me....

Return to “Dare we speak politics?”