Newt wants to colonize the moon!

PLAY NICE! No ATTACKS on anyone or any religion. Try to stay fact based and back up your facts with a reputable source. Do not temp the Mod Squad as no attacks on other users or threats of any type will be tolerated. Any post in this forum could be deleted or edited. Read at your own risk. No complaining on what may happen.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Newt wants to colonize the moon!

Post by imaposer »

Seriously? This is who is most likely going to be running against Obama? =))

Gee, where is that money going to come from? It's only going to cost $2 TRILLION Dollars!

Believe it or don't, I'm not a fan of Obama. Didn't vote for him last time, won't vote for him this time, but come on, how the hell can anyone who is worried about government spending vote for a republican candidate who wants to spend $2TRILLION dollars on a moon base?

I wonder how the thread would look on here if it was Obama proposing the moon colony....... :-?
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Newt wants to colonize the moon!

Post by E_ »

I agree Imaposer, I am not a registered republican but I was embarassed to see that headline. I WOULD however LOVE to see us do that on the moon but first I want to see Pontiac Michigan producing a chit load of cars again. Or maybe a chit load of spacevehicles.

Hmm, maybe he is on to something.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Naaa, that last sentence must be the Mojito talking
Pop-O
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: State Dock/Punkin Creek

Post by Pop-O »

Newt is going to the wrong rock! :(

Watching "GoldRush" on Discovery Channel and they think the asteroid "Eros" has a lot of gold in it.
I have taken the road least traveled................and now I am freakin LOST !
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Cool, didn't know that Pop-o
imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Post by imaposer »

E_HILLMAN wrote:I WOULD however LOVE to see us do that on the moon

I would too. Space exploration is probably the only solution to quite a few long terms problems we face on this rock.
Watching "GoldRush" on Discovery Channel and they think the asteroid "Eros" has a lot of gold in it.
And there ya go! This is something that should be done with private funding. So far, nothing to do with space exploration has any potential for a worthwhile return on investment, so it's only been governments who spent any money on it. We need more reasons for businesses to start looking at space as a potential jackpot to get them to start spending their own money on trying to get there.
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

imaposer wrote:
E_HILLMAN wrote:I WOULD however LOVE to see us do that on the moon

I would too. Space exploration is probably the only solution to quite a few long terms problems we face on this rock.
And there ya go! This is something that should be done with private funding. So far, nothing to do with space exploration has any potential for a worthwhile return on investment, so it's only been governments who spent any money on it. We need more reasons for businesses to start looking at space as a potential jackpot to get them to start spending their own money on trying to get there.

I don't think this has any potential for a return on investment either. Not sure how many pounds of gold an unmanned or even a manned flight to Eros could lift off and return to earth with, but I'm betting not enough to pay for the mission. Seems like we only returned a total of 88 pounds of moon rock to earth during all the Apollo missions to the moon.
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: old Alli-1

Post by Nervous Wreck »

If true...88 pounds of GOLD! :-o (or more)
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

Nervous Wreck wrote:If true...88 pounds of GOLD! :-o (or more)

A total of 88 pounds of moon rocks in all the Apollo missions combined. Probably no more than 15 pounds or so in any one mission. But....even at $1,500 an ounce for the price of gold, 16 ounces x $1,500 = $24,000 per pound for the gold, so 88 pounds of gold would only fetch about 2.1 million $$$ at those prices.
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

I was wrong on the 88 pounds part. Just looked it up and they brought back a total of 842 pounds from all the Apollo missions combined. Don't know where I came up with 88 pounds at. Anyway, at $24,000 per pound that's only 20.2 million for 842 pounds. Still far from being a profitable venture.
Soak-up-the-Sun
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Grider Hill

Post by Soak-up-the-Sun »

I've always thought Newt is a genius who tends to say stupid stuff. I'm starting to believe he is smoking better green than I am. Sometimes you think about crazy or funny stuff but you don't say it or tell enyone!! :D :)) =))
Happy camper and happy boater!!
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Nervous Wreck »

kdfwr911 wrote:I was wrong on the 88 pounds part. Just looked it up and they brought back a total of 842 pounds from all the Apollo missions combined. Don't know where I came up with 88 pounds at. Anyway, at $24,000 per pound that's only 20.2 million for 842 pounds. Still far from being a profitable venture.
So how much does it cost for 'gas'! L-) :))
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

Depending on which figures you want to believe, it could be in the ball park of 1.3 billion per launch just to get into Earth orbit and back home aboard the space shuttle.
Last edited by kdfwr911 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

1.3b is bs for getting into orbit. If that was the case you would not have 97% of satellites out there. ;) It can be done cheaper.
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:1.3b is bs for getting into orbit. If that was the case you would not have 97% of satellites out there. ;) It can be done cheaper.

That figure is derived from dividing the total cost of the space shuttle program over it's entire lifetime (including all development costs) by the total number of launches. The figures are from 2005 so it could be off a little if recalculated today.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

The shuttle was a high dollar ticket. Most still use the single rocket system.
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Most still use the single rocket system.

But they can't mine gold and then liftoff a second time to return a payload to Earth. To mine Eros for gold would require returning enough payload to Earth to make the mission profitable......not to mention off setting the R&D costs associated with the technological challenges.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Hmm, maybe we could use laser technology to propel things back and fourth...
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Nervous Wreck »

Well, you guys made me look it up!

fuel cost: $450 million (per mission)

ref:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does ... uttle_cost

another interesting site:
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/abo ... e_faq.html
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

Nervous Wreck wrote:Well, you guys made me look it up!

fuel cost: $450 million (per mission)

ref:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does ... uttle_cost

another interesting site:
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/abo ... e_faq.html

I saw those numbers yesterday too. That's approximately how much it costs in fuel and other costs to launch an existing space shuttle orbitor without taking into account all the other costs associated with the overall shuttle program. The 1.3 billion figure is the total cost of the entire shuttle program over it's lifetime, including all buildings required, all R&D costs and salaries etc, divided by the total number of launches. However, we don't have a off the shelf vehicle to go to Eros to mine gold, so it would have to be built from the ground up just like the space shuttle program was.

Return to “Dare we speak politics?”