Under Obama, a Record Decline in Government Jobs

PLAY NICE! No ATTACKS on anyone or any religion. Try to stay fact based and back up your facts with a reputable source. Do not temp the Mod Squad as no attacks on other users or threats of any type will be tolerated. Any post in this forum could be deleted or edited. Read at your own risk. No complaining on what may happen.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Under Obama, a Record Decline in Government Jobs

Post by imaposer »

When Barack Obama ran for president four years ago, he appalled some Democrats by saying Ronald Reagan had been a transformational president.

Three years into his presidency, he has exceeded Reagan in one area: reductions in government jobs.

Over all — including a decline of 12,000 public sector jobs in the Labor Department report for December — government employment is down 2.6 percent over the last three years, compared to a decline of 2.2 percent in the early Reagan years. That is a record.
LINK

Let me guess, "fair and balanced" reporting fox news failed to mention it?
Isn't this what all y'all have been asking for? :ymapplause:
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Under Obama, a Record Decline in Government Jobs

Post by E_ »

If true that is great news. But is it just a reduction in one sector (defense) or is it for BS jobs that should not have been there?
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Jaybird
Better Member

Post by Jaybird »

Anymore I take whatever the media (any media) says with "a grain of salt". Whatever that means, my old Daddy used to say it all the time. I think it means don't entirely believe everything you read or hear. Especially the New York Times. :ymdevil: (-| 8-} =p~
imaposer
Better Member

Post by imaposer »

E_HILLMAN wrote:If true that is great news. But is it just a reduction in one sector (defense) or is it for BS jobs that should not have been there?

Ok, I'll put on my other hat and give my typical contradictory outlook to most any news story. ;)

Digging deeper, the majority of those "government" jobs, they are actually state and local level jobs that had to be cut due to budget issues. Why does Obama get credit for states going broke and having to cut back? :-?
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Wow, that crossed my mind on what it could be but I thought to myself "Surely they didn't write the story based on the State Level" but it sounds like you looked it up and they did. That is sad on many parts.

He should get some credit, but only for some of the blame for them having to cut back because of the economy that he promised with hope to change. lol
imaposer
Better Member

Post by imaposer »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Wow, that crossed my mind on what it could be but I thought to myself "Surely they didn't write the story based on the State Level" but it sounds like you looked it up and they did. That is sad on many parts.

He should get some credit, but only for some of the blame for them having to cut back because of the economy that he promised with hope to change. lol

Putting my Obama hat back on......

He should get credit because past presidents would have just released extra federal money to the states to continue to pay for those state employees. How many new funded by federal money project signs have you seen in the last three years?
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

true, but still not good
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

imaposer wrote:
E_HILLMAN wrote:Wow, that crossed my mind on what it could be but I thought to myself "Surely they didn't write the story based on the State Level" but it sounds like you looked it up and they did. That is sad on many parts.

Putting my Obama hat back on......

He should get credit because past presidents would have just released extra federal money to the states to continue to pay for those state employees. How many new funded by federal money project signs have you seen in the last three years?

There isn't any extra federal money left to release to the states. Everything's already been spent bailing out the banks etc. State and local governments are on their own. Just look at Detroit.... :(
imaposer
Better Member

Post by imaposer »

kdfwr911 wrote:
There isn't any extra federal money left to release to the states. Everything's already been spent bailing out the banks etc. :(

Has that ever stopped the feds from giving out money before? We haven't had the funding for a percentage of what the fed spends yearly in how long? We just print up more IOU's and spend the money already.
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: old Alli-1

Post by Nervous Wreck »

imaposer wrote:
kdfwr911 wrote:
There isn't any extra federal money left to release to the states. Everything's already been spent bailing out the banks etc. :(

Has that ever stopped the feds from giving out money before? We haven't had the funding for a percentage of what the fed spends yearly in how long? We just print up more IOU's and spend the money already.
Lets see...how big is our deficit!?

And Osama has increased it more in his term so far than the last several presidents!

(I need that printing press for a couple of months) :D
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Yep and that has GOT to stop. To be in office you almost should have to sell all your stocks and not be allowed to receive any money from anyone but your pay in office.
kdfwr911
Better Member

Post by kdfwr911 »

imaposer wrote:
kdfwr911 wrote:

I know what you're saying, but those days are about gone too. The U.S. credit rating was downgraded from AAA for the first time in history earlier this year as a result of our massive indebitedness. Yes, we're still running annual budget deficits and probably will be for years to come. But I think the days of borrowing more money for these massive trillion dollar bailouts are about gone. States aren't getting all that federal stimulas money anymore. Hence Detroits fiscal collapse.
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

E_HILLMAN wrote:Yep and that has GOT to stop. To be in office you almost should have to sell all your stocks and not be allowed to receive any money from anyone but your pay in office.

I agree with you here E, but they would just roll them into their wife's name and get around it all.... These days you have to be wealthy to even be president. It is not a $$ job, they are definitely doing it for the power.

Gov't jobs cut.... =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) No way, they just cut one dept and open a new "committee" for another problem. L-)
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)

Return to “Dare we speak politics?”