States Weigh Letting "Noncitizens" Vote

PLAY NICE! No ATTACKS on anyone or any religion. Try to stay fact based and back up your facts with a reputable source. Do not temp the Mod Squad as no attacks on other users or threats of any type will be tolerated. Any post in this forum could be deleted or edited. Read at your own risk. No complaining on what may happen.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: old Alli-1

States Weigh Letting "Noncitizens" Vote

Post by Nervous Wreck »

WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAP!! X( X(

PORTLAND, Maine -- Like his neighbors, Claude Rwaganje pays taxes on his income and taxes on his cars. His children have gone to Portland's public schools. He's interested in the workings of Maine's largest city, which he has called home for 13 years.

There's one vital difference, though: Rwaganje isn't a U.S. citizen and isn't allowed to vote on those taxes or on school issues. That may soon change.

clip:

Opponents of the measure say immigrants already have an avenue to cast ballots -- by becoming citizens. Allowing noncitizens to vote dilutes the meaning of citizenship, they say, adding that it could lead to fraud and unfairly sway elections.

This just flat pisses me off! X(

read it all:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/10 ... zens-vote/
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: States Weigh Letting "Noncitizens" Vote

Post by E_ »

I got a better idea, why don't we just get it over with and GIVE our country away to another one right now. That is what they are doing....
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Nervous Wreck »

E_HILLMAN wrote:I got a better idea, why don't we just get it over with and GIVE our country away to another one right now. That is what they are doing....
I agree with you 'E', nothing is getting "better, that's for sure! :(
imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Post by imaposer »

From the headline and the small clip you quoted, I agree, it sounds like a load of crap.
But, reading the full article, I'd have to say I need to do some more reading and research before forming a hard opinion one way or another.

Calling them 'non-citizens' makes me first think of illegals, not those that are here legally. If they are here legally, and are paying taxes as required, why shouldn't they get a vote?
Isn't this the same argument those of us in the Ohio navy who own property at the lake have about not getting a vote down there?

There was this interesting tidbit:
Historically, 40 states allowed noncitizens to vote going back to 1776, but an anti-immigrant backlash in the late 1800s and early 1900s resulted in laws that eliminated their voting rights by 1926, Hayduk said.

Hmm. Everyone is always saying this country needs to get back to the way the founding fathers set it up......
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Nervous Wreck »

I read this a while back and had to dig it up.

SINGAPORE, Oct 21, 2010 (AFP) – An American businessman is facing the prospect of being caned in Singapore after overstaying his visa by almost half a year, court documents and his lawyer said Thursday.

If convicted for violating Singapore's immigration laws, US citizen Kamari Kenyada Charlton, 37, could become the first American in 16 years to be caned in the strict city-state.

Kamari, who was born in the Bahamas, was arrested at Changi Airport on September 1 when he was about to leave the country, his lawyer M. Ravi said.

A charge sheet issued against him seen by AFP said Kamari had remained in Singapore for an extra 169 days after his three-month social visit pass expired on March 15, 2010.

"Without reasonable cause, you did remain in Singapore for 169 days after the expiry of the social visit pass... and you have thereby committed an offence," it said.

Under Singapore laws, overstaying for more than 90 days is punishable by a jail term not exceeding six months and a minimum three strokes of the cane.

article:
http://malaysia.news.yahoo.com/afp/2010 ... f3cb7.html
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Nervous Wreck »

imaposer wrote:From the headline and the small clip you quoted, I agree, it sounds like a load of crap.
But, reading the full article, I'd have to say I need to do some more reading and research before forming a hard opinion one way or another.

Calling them 'non-citizens' makes me first think of illegals, not those that are here legally. If they are here legally, and are paying taxes as required, why shouldn't they get a vote?
Isn't this the same argument those of us in the Ohio navy who own property at the lake have about not getting a vote down there?

There was this interesting tidbit:
Historically, 40 states allowed noncitizens to vote going back to 1776, but an anti-immigrant backlash in the late 1800s and early 1900s resulted in laws that eliminated their voting rights by 1926, Hayduk said.

Hmm. Everyone is always saying this country needs to get back to the way the founding fathers set it up......
"Rwaganje isn't a U.S. citizen"

Two words come to mind... "Legal" or "illegal". There is no in between the way I see it.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

We have quite a few very well educated European friends here in FL who came to the US after enduring WWII and the years following.They worked hard, were educated and became US citizens the old fashioned way. Try to talk to them about this and you will wish you hadn't! We have a system in place for immigrants to come and be a part of our society in a legitimate manner. Anything else is a slap in the face to former immigrants who came through the "right" way. Pure BS! X( X( X(
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

You know, this reminds me of that story I posted a long time ago about NH or MA (one of the upper eastern states) considering allowing non-citizens to vote. What I do remember is everyone saying it must be a hoax....... :( :-s
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

There is only one way the Dems are going to stay in office, this is one of them. X(
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

re3too wrote:We have quite a few very well educated European friends here in FL who came to the US after enduring WWII and the years following.They worked hard, were educated and became US citizens the old fashioned way. Try to talk to them about this and you will wish you hadn't! We have a system in place for immigrants to come and be a part of our society in a legitimate manner. Anything else is a slap in the face to former immigrants who came through the "right" way. Pure BS! X( X( X(
Very well said!!!!!!

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
imaposer
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: conley bottom

Post by imaposer »

imaposer wrote: But, reading the full article, I'd have to say I need to do some more reading and research before forming a hard opinion one way or another.

Ok. Did some more reading and learning, and I agree. It's complete crap. There is an avenue for them to get the right to vote, but they seem to think it's too hard, too expensive, and too demanding on them. Tough shite. If they want it, they can earn it.
No matter how bad I want to vote on local issues in Pulaski county, I can't ever get that without giving up my rights up here. Not the same thing at all.
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Post by FasterThanYou »

imaposer wrote:
imaposer wrote: But, reading the full article, I'd have to say I need to do some more reading and research before forming a hard opinion one way or another.

Ok. Did some more reading and learning, and I agree. It's complete crap. There is an avenue for them to get the right to vote, but they seem to think it's too hard, too expensive, and too demanding on them. Tough shite. If they want it, they can earn it.
No matter how bad I want to vote on local issues in Pulaski county, I can't ever get that without giving up my rights up here. Not the same thing at all.
Just keep paying your taxes here. I agree, I did it for many years - paid taxes in Pulaski County but never could vote on the wet/dry issue. I can now though!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

I bet I'd piss off a bunch of my neighbors with a great big "VOTE WET" sign in my yard.
Attachments
vote wet.jpg
vote wet.jpg (29.91 KiB) Viewed 1800 times

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
rockinrod7
Marina/Ramp: Cumberland Point

Post by rockinrod7 »

FasterThanYou wrote: I bet I'd piss off a bunch of my neighbors with a great big "VOTE WET" sign in my yard.

I guarantee you NONE of my neighbors would care. B-) B-) B-)

But that being said I have always thought that all legal citizens should have a right to vote in "local" goverment policies. You pay taxes here then you should at least have a say on how your property is protected, money is spent, etc etc etc.
Voting for Obama and his tax theories are comparable to a chicken voting for Colonel Sanders......Good luck everyone. :(

Return to “Dare we speak politics?”