Obama effigy on UK's Campus

PLAY NICE! No ATTACKS on anyone or any religion. Try to stay fact based and back up your facts with a reputable source. Do not temp the Mod Squad as no attacks on other users or threats of any type will be tolerated. Any post in this forum could be deleted or edited. Read at your own risk. No complaining on what may happen.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Woodson Bend

Obama effigy on UK's Campus

Post by FasterThanYou »

But it's OK to do it to Sarah Palin? In LA it was "art, in Lexington it's a hate crime.

http://www.kentucky.com/181/story/573352.html

Keyboards should be equipped with breathalyzers
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs

Re: Obama effigy on UK's Campus

Post by Pac22 »

FasterThanYou wrote:But it's OK to do it to Sarah Palin? In LA it was "art, in Lexington it's a hate crime.

http://www.kentucky.com/181/story/573352.html

Don't ya love a good ol' double standard. :ymsigh:
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER

Post by FasterThanYou »

IMHO, both were distasteful. Will the person that did it at UK just claim it was Halloween decoration also?

KYCanuck
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Burnside Marina - Yearly slip

Post by KYCanuck »

Not acceptable behaviour from either side!

What was the Sarah Palin one in LA, I didn't hear or see about that one?
Brrrrr!

The Red Pontiac G8 GT in my Avatar is for Sale - Ask me about it!
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

YEs both are completely wrong and should not have happened. However I am not sure if either are a threat or free speach. Depending on where they are hung I guess it could be vandalism or trespassing, or [-( something...
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
djcardinal
Contributor

Post by djcardinal »

Its an embaressment to the school and the state.

We are all getting ready to see there is still a racial divide in much of the country and it makes me sick to think after all this time we have made little progress.

DJ
LouAnnePoovey
I posted something! WooHoo!

Post by LouAnnePoovey »

djcardinal wrote:Its an embaressment to the school and the state.

We are all getting ready to see there is still a racial divide in much of the country and it makes me sick to think after all this time we have made little progress.

DJ

I guess the only difference that I can see is that the Sarah Palin effigy was done at the home of two guys and on private property and the UK incident was on University property.

But, I also think that the outrage should have been for both incidents and not make it seem that Obama warrants more outrage than Palin supporters.
"A Half Truth is a Whole Lie"
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

"But, I also think that the outrage should have been for both incidents and not make it seem that Obama warrants more outrage than Palin supporters."

Exactly!!!
FasterThanYou
MASTER MEMBER

Post by FasterThanYou »

I couldn't agree more.

When I first saw the Palin effigy on the news I said to my wife "They're not making a very big deal out of this but they would if it was Obama."

Why does everyone want to use the race card? Aren't we ALL God's children?

KYCanuck
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Burnside Marina - Yearly slip

Post by KYCanuck »

WOW, there is something in the Poiltical Thread that we all agree on, this should not be tolerated by either side and they should have both been made a big deal of!

I am thinking that the Obama one got more attention is because it was on Campus property, not saying that is any different, it would just get more exposure due to the school getting involved. I'm not defending one over the other by any means and I am not defending one getting attention over the other.
Brrrrr!

The Red Pontiac G8 GT in my Avatar is for Sale - Ask me about it!
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

FasterThanYou wrote:I couldn't agree more.

When I first saw the Palin effigy on the news I said to my wife "They're not making a very big deal out of this but they would if it was Obama."

All of us except E, he was spawned by the devil :ymdevil:
djcardinal
Contributor

Post by djcardinal »

FasterThanYou wrote:I couldn't agree more.

It's really sad FTY, and I hate it. I grew up not caring about color. My dad grew up in Chicago where obviously there are more races, and have been, than most cities. I mean there was tension, but no one really thought much about it, they had their own problems. My mom was from the south (Grayson county) and you already know how it was then, and pretty much still is. The key is, now we see it not just white and black. I see it in White, Black, Religious, Slavic Countries, Mexican/Latin, everything. People get in their social-enviornment and stay there. I do my best with my children to explain what equality is. The stereotypes may be somewhat mathematical, but I promise you, here in the south area of the country, there are just as many white people, I.E. "white trash" or whatever you want to call it, on welfare and other goverment aided systems than anywhere else in the country. So that card doesn't work with me.

Racism is very much a live, I see it still in the form of "white supremecy", and the "retribution" if you will from the past. Its more prevalent here in the south than anywhere north. I have seen it everywhere around here, including at the lake. Both of which really sadden me. From my travels I can pretty much tell you our country is the worst I have seen. Its not even a topic in other countries. At least in the big cities. Its really nice to see the world isn't behind the times like we are here in America.
LouAnnePoovey
I posted something! WooHoo!

Post by LouAnnePoovey »

You better believe that racism is still alive, more so in the south but you don't have to go very far south to see and hear it.

I grew up in a town where there was one black man, a cook at a small hotel and about once a year some of his family would come and visit him but they sure didn't stay long.

I think about stuff like this and think how awful his family must have felt and also probably some fear and then when you think that we are mostly past these kinds of actions you have what happened today on UK's campus.

The "N" word is still alive and being used quite regularly amongst certain people and it makes me real unconfortable when I hear talk like that.

But, as a woman, I am also real uncomfortable with the effigy of Sarah Palin.
"A Half Truth is a Whole Lie"
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

Racism is alive and kicking, but not just in the white population. There are just as many black people who are racist against white people. That's the way it has always been and will always be.
Show me one black person who is going to vote for McCain. Regardless of what they feel is right for our country, they are going to vote for Obama. Is that not racism? Yet there are plenty of white people voting for him. So it goes both ways.
jpatton
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Whatever ramp E_HILLMAN decides to put in at...LOL

Post by jpatton »

:)

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

#:-s Easy Guys, I don't want this site to come across too onsided or racist. O:-)

I don't believe anthing has hit that point but someone that does not know us might could try to say/think so...
katie
MASTER MEMBER

Post by katie »

That's no fun E - you trying to put a leash on a selected few... =)) :)) =)) :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Even a broken clock is right twice a day ;)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

LOL, Katie you are bad! :p
Lisa
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Jamestown

Post by Lisa »

Racism is alive and well...sorry folks, but that is the truth. Is it right?...hell no, but its real. And, speaking for myself, I have a helluva time dealing with it. I work with a very diverse group and I live with a diverse group. My white step son has children with a black female. They are both very loving and caring parents who go to school and hold down full time jobs. They always visit, but their children never see any of their friends in my neighborhood.

The folks that I work with are always burdened with the differences their respective cultures hold.

I think white people and black people need to come together for the common good. Yes...it is easy to type that...but if you work in a diverse culture it is more easy to see. the black people in my office told me they won't be at work on 11-5 if obama loses,,,,and they wont be at work on 11-5 if he wins,,,,what the hell does that say....I guess those folks ain't comin to work regardless....we shall see...I think alot of them talk more than they do.

whatever happens, i will post and let y'all know.....i wish, the world could display all the parties and their beliefs....I am sick and tired of this 2 party system.
Dehydrated
Lisa
Better Member

Post by Lisa »

some times....i talk in half sentences...so if you dont understand me...just move along to the next topic....I am much funnier in person!!! =))
Dehydrated
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

self wrote:i wish, the world could display all the parties and their beliefs....I am sick and tired of this 2 party system.
I wish we did not have any parties and we could decide just based on what exactly they think is right and not them pushing their party ideals.
Lisa
Better Member

Post by Lisa »

E_HILLMAN wrote:
self wrote:i wish, the world could display all the parties and their beliefs....I am sick and tired of this 2 party system.
I wish we did not have any parties and we could decide just based on what exactly they think is right and not them pushing their party ideals.

amen brotha! That is my directive!!!
Dehydrated
DMS

Post by DMS »

Racism isnt always White and Black either...round here we have a WHOLE lot more Mexicans than blacks , best I remember there were two black kids in high school. They were not treated any different. Guess you dont have to agree with other peoples views or beliefs to still treat 'em with respect.
The Wet Spot
Marina/Ramp: State Dock - 2-0-0 Row!

Post by The Wet Spot »

_____ wrote:"But, I also think that the outrage should have been for both incidents and not make it seem that Obama warrants more outrage than Palin supporters."

Exactly!!!
Get used to it...the ruile of thumb from now on (at least for the next four years) will be "Double standard"

Return to “Dare we speak politics?”