More whites voted 4 Obama than did 4 Gore, Kerry, or Clinton

PLAY NICE! No ATTACKS on anyone or any religion. Try to stay fact based and back up your facts with a reputable source. Do not temp the Mod Squad as no attacks on other users or threats of any type will be tolerated. Any post in this forum could be deleted or edited. Read at your own risk. No complaining on what may happen.

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

More whites voted 4 Obama than did 4 Gore, Kerry, or Clinton

Post by E_ »

This is a great article and something maybe we all need to take from this election...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081108/ap_ ... 8TkSXLLJ94
Obama victory opens door to new black identity
By JESSE WASHINGTON, AP National Writer Jesse Washington, Ap National Writer
1 hr 1 min ago

WASHINGTON – Shortly after leaving the voting booth, 70-year-old community activist Donald E. Robinson had a thought: "Why do I have to be listed as African-American? Why can't I just be American?"

The answer used to be simple: because a race-obsessed society made the decision for him. But after Barack Obama's mind-bending presidential victory, there are rumblings of change in the nature of black identity and the path to economic equality for black Americans.

Before Tuesday, black identity and community were largely rooted in the shared experience of the struggle — real or perceived — against a hostile white majority. Even as late as Election Day, many blacks still harbored deep doubts about whether whites would vote for Obama.

Obama's overwhelming triumph cast America in a different light. There was no sign of the "Bradley Effect," when whites mislead pollsters about their intent to vote for black candidates. Nationwide, Obama collected 44 percent of the white vote, more than John Kerry, Al Gore or even Bill Clinton, exit polls show.

In Ohio, domain of the fabled working-class white swing voter, where journalists unearthed multitudes of racist quotes during the campaign, 46 percent of white voters backed Obama's bid to become the first black president, more than the three previous Democratic candidates.

Obama did not define himself as a black candidate. So Robinson now feels free to define himself as something more than a black community activist.

"We've taken that next step. It's moving toward what we call universal brotherhood and sisterhood," Robinson said after voting for Obama in his northwest Washington, D.C., neighborhood. "We shouldn't be split and have all these divisions. That's why I say it's a bright day."

L. Douglas Wilder, the first black person to be elected governor of Virginia, shares Robinson's sense of American identity. "But I can tell you, when you say that, people take umbrage," Wilder said. "They believe that you are dissing them, putting blacks down. I don't have to tell you what I am, you can look at me and see that I'm not white. So what difference does it make?"
Its people like Donald Robinson that will take us to the next step. I think a lot of people with liberal views are too quick to associate anit Obama people with racism but why can't they see that some just did not like his policies or had trust issues with him since he was far from full disclosure of certain things important to Americans. Some people only voted for him for race and did not know ONE real reason otherwise to vote for him. The Sal in Harlem tape is a very good example of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCcHzUmV ... re=related

But then also SEVERAL people voted for him since they did know what his policies were and they like it. I admit a lot of things he said sounded good to me as well. The things I held against him were trust issues of him not fully explaining things (and he should have to since he wanted to be our president) and some will laugh but the gun issue is a BIG one with me. I could care less what race he is and even if he was full Arab in Middle Eastern garb I would still have voted for him if he had the same values of me. I guess maybe I really take the anti Arab or middle eastern comments hard since I have a very good friend if not my best friend that is from Afghanistan. And every time I start to feel down and feel sorry for myself I remember how he lost most of his family and how he came here to the US with NOTHING and badly injured. He now is married and very successful and did it ALL on his own with the emotional support of a great US family and some friends. But not one of us ever gave him anything. He still earned EVERY thing he has in his life himself.

I hope all of us on the forum can take a step back and accept the vote that has happened and look at the brighter side. There has to be better change than what is going on right now and I sure hope Obama carries through with a lot of the things he has stated. But I also hope he leaves Iraq PROPERLY and not too soon. I also hope he leaves my second amendment rights ALONE. Don't have people legislate from the Supreme Court bench either. Let the constitution take care of itself and democracy take care of the rest.

Of course all of my comments are from a guy who did not like either candidate. I wanted Fred... LOL
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
shocka43
Better Member

Re: More whites voted 4 Obama than did 4 Gore, Kerry, or Clinton

Post by shocka43 »

Too bad Mit didn't make it...
"Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."---Ronald Reagan
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs

Post by Pac22 »

shocka43 wrote:Too bad Mit didn't make it...

I was for him from the start
shocka43
Better Member

Post by shocka43 »

_____ wrote:
shocka43 wrote:Too bad Mit didn't make it...

I was for him from the start
Given the economy as being the number 1 priority for most, his business sense would have been a good choice.

E,

The race deal is a very interesting topic. I have no problem discussing it, and quite frankly, don't care if I offend anyone with my opinions. My opinions aren't that deal with any inferiority, but that Minorities have the ability to succeed just as much as anyone else. This election is evident of that. Here comes the offending part to those with thin skin...

When does this end? We still have prominent members of the Cincinnati community that discuss reparations. We still have people that are comparing his election, to that of MLK and the Civil Rights Movement. MLK's movement and the progress he made for African Americans and America as a whole was special. But how long to minorities keep hanging on to this. A white kid called into 700 the other day, and when asked why she was voting for Obama she replied, not in exact words, "Well, because, it just evens the score." Don't quote me, but it was along those lines. How long does our society have to deal with the shortcomings of racists of years past? When are we as a nation going to get past it and move on. There isn't a slave alive in America today, but we want to preach that "this is the way things need to be to even the score." Give me a break.

MLK and Civil Rights leaders of the past were strong willed people, hoping for common good among all races. For anyone to compare what Obama has done, to what the MLK's of the world have done, is a slap in the face to MLK.

This post isn't meant to ruffle feathers. Race was a huge part in this election. When the reasons by minority voters include, "I just connected with him." fall into place, that has nothing to do with anything other than race. They didn't connect with a millionaire Senator from Illinois, who went to Columbia and Harvard, who was an attorney, whose parents were college educated, etc. People in the projects didn't "connect" with him. They connected with the fact that he is a minority. More whites did vote for Obama than the Dems of the past. But more blacks came out to vote, and voted accordingly more than any other election period. If race wasn't a factor, well...then...
"Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."---Ronald Reagan

Return to “Dare we speak politics?”