Scott Martin Wins FLW Tour on Lake Cumberland

Come here to discuss the fishing on the lake

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fis ... cumberland

FLW Communications

Sunday at 10:54 PM

Florida pro wins his 7th FLW Tour title on unfamiliar waters of Cumberland chasing a familiar winning fish.

Pro Scott Martin of Clewiston, Florida, brought a five-bass limit to the scale Sunday weighing 13 pounds , 12 ounces, to win the FLW Tour at Lake Cumberland presented by T-H Marine. Martin’s four-day total of 20 bass weighing 60 pounds, 1 ounce, gave him a 1-pound, 11-ounce edge over second-place pro Barry Wilson of Birmingham, Alabama, and earned him $125,400 in the internationally-televised tournament that featured 164 of the world’s best bass anglers. With his victory, Martin also became the first angler in FLW history to win eight Tour-level events.

“It feels great to win another tournament – it’s awesome,” said Martin, the 2015 FLW Angler of the Year and 2011 Forrest Wood Cup Champion. “I always try to go out there and be as good as I can be. I’m very blessed.”

Martin’s primary areas this week were on the lower end of the lake, near the dam. He said he preferred locations that had a good population of spotted, smallmouth and largemouth bass, and that he ran to new water each day of the tournament.

“My fish had to be in a creek. Not a main pocket off of the river, but a creek with small arms,” said Martin. “The creeks I liked had lots of little arms. At the intersections there were points, then a straight stretch that led back to pockets with bushes. The largemouth used the bushes in the back of the drain, while the spotted bass keyed in on the bushes along the stretches. The smallmouth liked the secondary points with rock and bushes near the intersection openings.”

Martin caught fish early on in the week with an M-Pack Lures Flippin’ Jig, but did the bulk of his damage with a translucent-shad-colored jerkbait. On the final day of competition, Martin rotated in a Bomber Lures Long A wake bait, which turned out to be a crucial adjustment.

“I caught two that I weighed in today on the wake bait,” said Martin. “It just felt right to throw it. Today the water temperature was rising a little bit, I saw some baitfish activity and it was dead-slick calm. Those are the best conditions to use it in.”

Martin wound up bringing two spotted, two largemouth and a smallmouth bass to the weigh-in stage Sunday. He said his win was secured by a largemouth that weighed nearly 3 pounds that he caught on his final cast of the day.

The top 10 pros finished the event on Lake Cumberland:

1st: Scott Martin, Clewiston, Fla., 20 bass, 60-1, $125,000

2nd: Barry Wilson, Birmingham, Ala., 20 bass, 58-6, $30,000

3rd: Terry Bolton, Paducah, Ky., 20 bass, 57-5, $25,000

4th: Matt Reed, Madisonville, Texas, 20 bass, 55-15, $20,000

5th: Scott Canterbury, Springville, Ala., 20 bass, 55-7, $19,000

6th: Chris McCall, Palmer, Texas, 20 bass, 53-10, $18,000

7th: Cody Meyer, Auburn, Calif., 20 bass, 53-8, $17,000

8th: Casey Scanlon, Lenexa, Kan., 19 bass, 51-11, $16,500

9th: Clark Wendlandt, Leander, Texas, 15 bass, 50-0, $15,000

10th: Anthony Gagliardi, Prosperity, S.C., 19 bass, 48-14, $14,000

For a full list of results visit FLWFishing.com.

Overall there were 43 bass weighing 98 pounds, 5 ounces, caught by nine pros Sunday. The catch included seven five-bass limits.

Jeff Clark of Fort Smith, Arkansas, won the Co-angler Division and $20,100 Friday with a two-day total of eight bass weighing 20 pounds, 1 ounce, followed by Frank Divis Sr. of Farmington, Arkansas, who finished in second place with six bass weighing 19 pounds, 8 ounces, worth $7,550.

https://www.flwfishing.com/news/2017-04 ... -patterns-

April 10, 2017 by Rob Newell

Despite Lake Cumberland’s overwhelming size and sprawling complexity, those who did well in the FLW Tour presented by T-H Marine actually kept it quite simple for patterns.

Scott Martin won the event throwing a deep-diving suspending jerkbait and a wake bait around a multitude of bush-lined drains and pockets in the lake’s lower end.

Jerkbaits were a big player throughout the top 10, as were spinnerbaits. Some top pros went “old school,” fishing gaudy ½-ounce spinnerbaits in flooded bushes. In general, the smallmouth favored jerkbaits out on the points and the largemouth were more partial to spinnerbaits in the bushes in the backs of the drains.
Fishin.png
Fishin.png (494.42 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Re: Scott Martin Wins FLW Tour on Lake Cumberland

Post by Lock5 »

Bill Day who is a Ranger/South Bay Boat Dealer in Frankfort Ky. finished 16th.

He has a houseboat at Jamestown and is a frequent boater on the Ky River with us.

:ymapplause:

Return to “Fishing on Lake Cumberland”