Volvo vs Merc

A forum for you to ask and answer any Boat related technical question

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

cabowabo
Contributor

Volvo vs Merc

Post by cabowabo »

Been missing cumberland so bad we're gonna get back in the boating game. Currently looking at an older (03) Four Winns 200 Horizon. Nice boat. It has a 5.0 GXI Volvo in it. I've only ever had Mercs. Can anybody give me an honest opinion on the pros and cons with Volvo? Everything I've read makes them out to be pretty equal until it comes to parts and repairs / service. Motor has 390hrs on it. Compression test shows 180/185. I can handle oil changes and tune ups, but not much of a wrencher. Fuel injection makes me a little nervous, but the performance is great.

Thanks!!

Important note - Mrs Cabo REALLY likes this boat
TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER
Marina/Ramp: Burnt Store Marina Florida

Re: Volvo vs Merc

Post by TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER »

I too have never owned anything but Mercs. I do have several friends that own boats with Volvo's and they seem to like them. I truly believe that they are all now comparable to each other, but I don't plan on owning anything other than a Merc.
MY BABY WAS BOTTLE FED, IS YOURS???
Pinnacle

Re: Volvo vs Merc

Post by Pinnacle »

I have owned both Volvo's and Merc's. I have had very few issues with either, but have had more trouble with the carbureted Merc's than I have ever had with fuel injected Volvo's. I know people who have had trouble with both but in my opinion you can't go wrong with either one in these modern times. Parts for my Volvo's (normal filters, ect.) cost no different than Merc parts. My starter relays on the Volvo's cost $15 for the Bosch part. I know people with Merc's who have spent big bucks for their starter relay. Volvo's are mostly just marinized GM engines. They use different parts for some of the systems. Fuel injection systems are mostly Bosch. Problems usually the same with both, idle air valves, ect.

Return to “Boater Tech Swap”