Battery Replacement Time

A forum for you to ask and answer any Boat related technical question

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Battery Replacement Time

Post by E_ »

Getting ready to replace 4 batteries on my 2000 2655.

Really wish I knew how they were wired but I guess I will just watch for a normal battery and put a normal in its place for the start battery and then the other 3 I would guess will all be Deep Cycle. (can't remember what is under the lids. lol)

Here's a pic of my bilge/batteries

Overall
IMAG0230 (Custom).jpg
IMAG0230 (Custom).jpg (103.49 KiB) Viewed 4307 times
Charger
IMAG0233 (Custom).jpg
IMAG0233 (Custom).jpg (69.44 KiB) Viewed 4307 times

Starboard
IMAG0227 (Custom).jpg
IMAG0227 (Custom).jpg (92.08 KiB) Viewed 4307 times

Port
IMAG0228 (Custom).jpg
IMAG0228 (Custom).jpg (92.56 KiB) Viewed 4307 times

(ps pay no attention to electric tape on water heater pipe, it was a temp fix until I could get to a hardware store to get a new fitting. lol Its was resolved 24 hours later.)

Also learned a little about my battery switch on page 10.. http://www.baylinerparts.com/Manuals/1709067.pdf

Thought about buying from Superlex in Russell Springs but I kinda need the batteries by Saturday morning so I don't know if I will find a way to get some from them or not... Any and all guidance is appreciated. lol
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
MarineAssist
Better Member

Re: Battery Replacement Time

Post by MarineAssist »

Hubbard's Auto Parts in Jamestown right on your way has Intersate Batteries.

270-343-3082

Call to make sure they sit them aside for you. Tell them I said so. LOL

Picked up two the other day for one of my boats.
MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

BTW, those look to be 24 series battery boxes, not 27's.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Hey you could always do it or have someone on your crew do it for me for a small fee. :-p Heck might as well change the oil and test fire it for me too. :-p
(I can always dream lol )
MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

Billy Hale @ 4B Marine can do it. He is in the back of Salyers building, right down by the marina.

270-866-0374

Let me know if I should get the key to him.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Thanks Don, just might do that (if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg on the labor end)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

lol, I got all excited he told me good prices and sounded like a great guy and then he dropped the bomb that I should have known was coming that he was booked this week. Wish I would have considered this earlier but had planned on doing it myself and just have not been able to get down to the boat. Only been to visit family in the area or been down for work and no time to get to the boat. Figured I would do it all Saturday morning myself but then when I found that a couple others might be coming with me I felt compelled to see if someone else might do it but I have done so at the 11th hour and as with all good mechanics he is busy. I'm going to hold out hope that he might get them done and find a couple hours to do mine too but for now it looks like I will end up doing it Saturday morning myself. lol ..unless I just decide to jump pack the boat, use it and then have him do it before my next trip down. lol
Pinnacle

Post by Pinnacle »

Looks like someone has added an extra battery on each side to the originals that your boat came with, probably because the smaller batteries you have do not have enough capacity for the way the boat is used. You like to spend a lot of time coved out. A better way would be to replace them with group 31 deep cycle batteries but you will have to change out all the battery boxes. I would stay away from interstate batteries (I have found that they contain less lead than their competitors, ie. their group 31 battery weighs less than many competitors group 29s. The problem is that most of the 12v "deep cycle" batteries you will find are not truly "deep cycle but a combo battery. Most of them do not like to be discharged less than 50% which can result in decreased life. If it were my boat (and I actually did this), I would dump the 12 volt batteries and replace them with 4 6volt golf cart batteries. Two per side and you can use your same set up and boxes. You will need to change the hookups between the batteries from parallel to series to get to 12 volts. You will get a true deep cycle battery set up that has plenty of power to start your engines (either bank) and can be discharged below 50% and not hurt the battery. My average battery life went from 2-3 years to 7-8, and I always had enough power to spend many days in a row at anchor with still enough power left to start the engines (two big blocks). The only downside is that you will have to check and fill the batteries more often (once per month in my experience)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Shew, that's too much to think about. lol
Islander_212
Marina/Ramp: State Dock / Caney Fork

Post by Islander_212 »

Look at the Sears Diehard AGM's. They are nice, heavy, but nice! I replaced my starting battery with one of the 31M's that has a capacity of 100 Ah, a reserve of 205 minutes, 1150 Cold Cranking Amps and weighs 75 lbs.! I paid $229 on sale and the normal retail is $279. My stereo head unit is the only stereo item hooked to it. All the other amps and such have their own battery bank which are Optima Blue tops in the 31M size. I will replace the Optimas with Diehards when they die.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Your guy seems to be coming through. Even though he was booked up he has been able to get ahead of schedule and is hopefully going to get to mine today! THANKS Don aka Marine Assist AKA DCH Marine!
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

E_ wrote:Your guy seems to be coming through. Even though he was booked up he has been able to get ahead of schedule and is hopefully going to get to mine today! THANKS Don aka Marine Assist AKA DCH Marine!
Wait til ya git MA's "Finders Fee" bill! :p :-*
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Got that in the mail this week. Maybe I'll catch him this weekend and pay in person. Think he is youthful enough to get out and come over to the forum party?
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

He's youthful enuff but prolly too skeered! /:) 8-|
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)

Return to “Boater Tech Swap”