Boat Winterization

A forum for you to ask and answer any Boat related technical question

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

MPII

Boat Winterization

Post by MPII »

So, this year totally sucked for me as I was able to get to the lake only twice! I was in a three month long Federal Jury Trial. Now, my schedule is somewhat lightening up and I wanted to see - how long can I go before winterizing down there? I want to make one more trip - the 24th - 28th. and then maybe another one in November just to see the lake that time of year.

Normally I would winterize the third week in October. How far do you think I can push it?
Character is not what you do or say when everyone is watching you, its what you do and say when no one else is around.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Boat Winterization

Post by E_ »

Islander might have the best handle on this. How do you store it? IN building, in water, out in open? On a hill? In a valley?

Normally I try to be winterized by the end of the first week of Nov. But some years I have seen freezes in October and some not till Dec. I have had my boats out during freezes and freaked out and people like Craig assured me there would be no issue. ...they were right. It apparently takes hours at below freezing temps to get this happen.

THIS year even though we just entered a pretty cold spell today for the next few weeks I am thus far comfortable into the first of Nov. I hope to hit the water this weekend but I will most likely bring the boat back with me afterwards to winterize and clean up at home and then around Thanksgiving will take from the building behind the house back to the lake to work.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
MPII

Post by MPII »

Thanks E! I store it inside - Josh Tartar's Place off of 127 next to marine assist. I talked to Bryan - he seems to think its fine up to the second week of November or so.
Character is not what you do or say when everyone is watching you, its what you do and say when no one else is around.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Yep, the cold snap this week should not be an issue. I had mine still summarized when we had one last year and all was good.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.

Return to “Boater Tech Swap”