Volvo Penta

A forum for you to ask and answer any Boat related technical question

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

Pac22
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs

Volvo Penta

Post by Pac22 »

I recently had an engine overheat. The first thing I looked at was the impeller (easy on Volvo's, it's mounted on the front of the engine) and sure enough it was toast. So, I installed a new one, and fired up the engine. It immediately overheated again. I didn't have time to mess with it anymore that day and plan on looking into it on Friday. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Should I have taken the water intake hose off and poured some water in it to get some in the system since it ran dry for a few minutes?
Islander_212
Marina/Ramp: State Dock / Caney Fork

Re: Volvo Penta

Post by Islander_212 »

_____ wrote:I recently had an engine overheat. The first thing I looked at was the impeller (easy on Volvo's, it's mounted on the front of the engine) and sure enough it was toast. So, I installed a new one, and fired up the engine. It immediately overheated again. I didn't have time to mess with it anymore that day and plan on looking into it on Friday. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Should I have taken the water intake hose off and poured some water in it to get some in the system since it ran dry for a few minutes?
___

I don't know anything about Volvo's but if they are like Merc's the old impeller vanes are likely plugging coolers and the water will not circulate until you reverse flush the system or in some cases remove the cooler and flush and replace. That is what happened to bubbles boat last year when she overheated I believe.

Craig
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

I did a quick check for that and didn't see anything but I guess a more detailed look is in order.
Islander_212

Post by Islander_212 »

_____ wrote:___

I did a quick check for that and didn't see anything but I guess a more detailed look is in order.
When mine let go at PR two years ago I reverse flushed it and never really got anything out. It would not overheat but it did not have the pull off the jug of antifreeze that it did prior to the pump failure. When I had the engine out over the winter the mechanic said he got a bunch of crap out of the coolers when he pulled them to clean them. It is much easier to do with the engine on a pallet!

Craig
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

Well go ahead and rub it in why don't ya. The only time mine will be on a pallet is if it's getting a total rebuild. =))

I have confidence it will be on the water this weekend. Headed down Thursday night to see what I can do.
Islander_212

Post by Islander_212 »

_____ wrote:Well go ahead and rub it in why don't ya. The only time mine will be on a pallet is if it's getting a total rebuild. =))

I have confidence it will be on the water this weekend. Headed down Thursday night to see what I can do.
I was not happy to be putting it back in, I wanted to go bigger, but my wallet would not let me! If you can flush it and get the pieces to come out then you should be OK. I could not. When the coupler was being replaced I told the guy to clean them coolers and he told me they were loaed up with impeller chunks! I got lucky I guess. You may have more room in your engine compartment than me so it may not be too bad. You taking her out this weekend?
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER

Post by Pac22 »

Not much room at all in my engine compartment with the genset. And me being 6'3 doesn't help either. You almost have to be a contortionist to get in there. #-o

But yes, I hope to take it out this weekend. She hasn't been out since March. :-o

Return to “Boater Tech Swap”