winterize your own boat

A forum for you to ask and answer any Boat related technical question

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

winterize your own boat

Post by $parechange »

For the first time I did it myself. If it starts in the spring with no problems, I saved my self $150.00 :ymsmug:
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: winterize your own boat

Post by E_ »

A winterize for my boat is $185 - $260.

I have done mine the past two years now. The first year buying the tools to make the job easier might have cost me $100 plus the supplies $50 so I still saved, this year It cost me $20 in filter and Shell Rotella 15w40 oil (used Havoline last year and it did great did not know until after I bought the shell but it came out with some honey color to it still), $10 other fluids and around $20 in pink stuff. I still have a almost full can of fogging stuff and I always use stabil in my boat gas anyway but I gave it another 6 ounces for good measure.

Here is what I bought and used last year.
http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j173/ ... ze%202007/

The best part....

I KNOW it is done right.
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs

Post by Pac22 »

I've always done it myself. Usually spend around $100 and that takes care of both 350's, the generator, head, A/C, water system with 3 sinks and a rear washdown hose. I change the oil when I open it up for the season.
Pac22
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs

Post by Pac22 »

Spare Change wrote:For the first time I did it myself. If it starts in the spring with no problems, I saved my self $150.00 :ymsmug:
What involves winterizing an outboard?
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

Stabil in the tank, run the motor for about 5 min. grease all fittings, pull the plugs and fog. make sure the water has drained out. Plug in the battery tender and cover it up. Just never trusted myself to do it. But I watched last year when the dude came and so I tried it. Done right? hopefully. #:-s
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Spare when I had a outboard you just pulled it out of the water, put lots of stabil in the fuel, put the muffs on to flush the system, started the engine, let it run for a while and then pulled the gas line coming from the tank.

Done.

Then leave the drive in the down position and you are done. If you want to get fancy after it quits dripping put something over the inlets.
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

Kate got really pi$$ed when I filled her fur muffs with water to flush the motor. #-o
Moby
Contributor
Marina/Ramp: State Dock

Post by Moby »

Spare Change wrote:Kate got really pi$$ed when I filled her fur muffs with water to flush the motor. #-o
that is freak'n funny...

I have always winterized my own boats. Been doing it for over 25 years with no problems yet. If you leave her in the water all season and pull out for the winter, you also want to drain and refill the lower unit in case there is water in there. I have seen the cases split due to freezing, not pretty.
TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER
Marina/Ramp: Burnt Store Marina Florida

Post by TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER »

Spare Change wrote: pull the plugs and fog. make sure the water has drained out. Plug in the battery tender and cover it up. Just never trusted myself to do it. But I watched last year when the dude came and so I tried it. Done right? hopefully. #:-s
Ole buddy, you totaly wasted your time and money on that one... A 2-stroke outboard doesn't need to be fogged, you just need to run 1.5 times your normal oil ratio... The only time I would pull the plugs and add 2-stroke oil to the cylinder is if it hadn't run in a year or two... Just did this last fall to my neighbor's 200 Merc...
Anyway, true fogging is adding the oil to the front half of the motor while running, (ex. carbs or fuel inj.) to coat the valves with oil, on a 4-stroke motor...
One thing you forgot, was to check the lower unit for water, if you pull the plug and she's a milky white, leave the plug out till spring and then replace one of three seals that has gone bad and add oil... If she's all oil tighten plug up and head for the fire for the winter...
Last edited by TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER on Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
MY BABY WAS BOTTLE FED, IS YOURS???
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Its gonna be good having you on here Rooster!
TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER

E_HILLMAN wrote:Its gonna be good having you on here Rooster!
Why thank you E!!! I would have been here sooner, if I had known about this forum... \m/

One last thing about fogging, I have read that fogging a motor is ONLY recommended for one that sits for 6 MONTHS PLUS, I know some that do but we do not...
$parechange
MASTER MEMBER

Post by $parechange »

Rooster you were right, I did forget to change the lower unit. d@mn! I did go check, and there is no sign of any leakage. I got lucky. How about you come up next year and do it for me. LOL!!!!!! I will through in a few barley pops. :)
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

http://www.mercurymarine.com/service-an ... #ChangeOil
From Mercruiser website
Is it better to change my engine oil/gear lube at the beginning or end of the season?

It is better to change the oil and gear lube at the end of the season, prior to storage. Lubricants naturally accumulate moisture, combustion by-products, and other contaminants during use. It can be detrimental to store an engine or drive with large amounts of these contaminants present.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

TTT, I guess I can get rid of the Alpha 1 winter exe kit if anyone wants it. I'll take half what I gave for it.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Keep in mind MOST boat engine failures are in the south because many feel just a short freeze will not cause harm. ...most of the time they are right . But if you boat in on land BOAT US says YES your boat engine block could freeze in the right setting with overnight freezing temperatures. ...I sure don't think we have seen that scenario yet this fall but why risk it. http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/winter/winterizing.pdf
No Patience
Marina/Ramp: Grider Hill

Post by No Patience »

Glad I have out boards now, never did like I/O. The house boat just run Sta bil through it. For me make sure all 10 batteries have water the inverter can really cook them. The fishing boat I leave in the water in the winter so I don't have to deal with a slick ramp. The water system is opening 2 valves and draining the water out of the pipes and 2 gallons of pink through the head.
TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER

After the past 3 winters, I feel safe in the way we do it! We pull main intake hose, then reinstall, fire them up to normal operating temp, shut them down pull the hose again, pull the FOUR drain plugs, drain, reinstall plugs, fire engine back up add 2 gallons of a 50/50 mixture then shut them off. (NOTE: we only do one at a time, I'm not that good to do 2 at a time)
INSIDE; hook air compressor up and blow cold water lines & any appliance that uses cold water. Then we switch over to the hot side and do the same!
Also, several beers are needed during this process!
Captain Bob
Better Member

Post by Captain Bob »

It always amazed me how many boater failed to remember the appliances that have water in them like refrigerator, icemakers, --and dishwashers and washing machines! Never failed to run a gallon of 50/50 mix through the dishwasher and washing machine just before closing up for the winter. I was never comfortable just "leaving the heat on" in the houseboats.
TheOneAndOnlyROOSTER

Test #1 for 2016-2017 DeSummerization is upon us!!! 8-}

Return to “Boater Tech Swap”