Not a TECH item but info on KY Boat Registration

A forum for you to ask and answer any Boat related technical question

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Not a TECH item but info on KY Boat Registration

Post by E_ »

Marine Assist gave the FB group some great info and I wanted to keep it here too:

License and title for boat trailers for KY residents..... This was a topic that got some conflicting info and debate on another thrad, so I figured I would separate it out for you. As some background, I am a licensed KY boat dealer, trailer dealer and I personally called the KY department of transportation for their clarification and they gave me the statutes below that govern the process. I will post the law and how things are supposed to be done below, whether you choose to follw it, or even if the law enforcement people know how to enforce it is all up debate. Knowing the law on the mater and following it will keep you out of trouble should you ever have issues where you might end up in court, like say from an acccident, etc.

Boat trailers are REQUIRED to be titled in the State Of Kentucky, if you are a KY resident.

Boat trailers are exempt from having to bear a license plate for KY residents, as long as they are not used for commercial work, or they do not leave the state.

If you choose not to title your trailers, there is no way to prove clear ownership, so selling one will be a problem for you. You can also not use that trailer as part of your collateral when doing an boat/trailer loan without a title.

I will post the Kentucky Revised Statutes in the comments below.
Don Hunter 186A.065 Prerequisites for operation of motor vehicles or trailers.
Except as otherwise provided, before the owner of a motor vehicle or trailer may operate it or permit its operation upon the highways of this state, he shall obtain motor vehicle insurance as required by KRS 304.39-080, a certificate of registration, and a license plate and apply for a certificate of title in his name.
Effective: July 15, 1996
History: Amended 1996 Ky. Acts ch. 341, sec. 5, effective July 15, 1996. -- Created 1982 Ky. Acts ch. 164, sec. 10, effective July 15, 1982.

Don Hunter 186A.070 Registration and title requirements for vehicles, manufactured homes, or trailers.
(1) Except as otherwise provided, the state resident owner of a vehicle as defined in KRS 186.010(8)(a), manufactured home as defined in KRS 186.650, or trailer which will not be operated upon the highways of this state shall within fifteen (15) days apply for and obtain a certificate of title in his name. He shall not, however, be required to obtain a certificate of registration until the vehicle, manufactured home, or trailer is to be operated upon the highways of this state.
(2) On or after July 1, 2010, any state resident who purchases an all-terrain vehicle as defined in KRS 189.010 shall apply for and obtain a certificate of title in the purchaser's name within fifteen (15) days of purchase. The owner of an all-terrain vehicle shall not be eligible to obtain a certificate of registration pursuant to KRS 186.020.
(3) On or after July 1, 2010, any state resident who owns an all-terrain vehicle and creates a security interest on that vehicle shall be required to obtain a certificate of title within fifteen (15) days of the creation of the security interest. The perfection and discharge of the security interest shall be governed by KRS 186A.190, 186A.193, 186A.195, 186A.200, 186A.205, 186A.210, and 186A.215. The owner of an all-terrain vehicle shall not be eligible to obtain a certificate of registration pursuant to KRS 186.020.
(4) An all-terrain vehicle shall not be operated upon the roadways of this state, except in accordance with KRS 189.515.
Effective: June 25, 2009
History: Amended 2009 Ky. Acts ch. 64, sec. 2, effective June 25, 2009. -- Amended 1994 Ky. Acts ch. 42, sec. 9, effective July 15, 1994. -- Amended 1988 Ky. Acts ch. 132, sec. 1, effective March 31, 1988. -- Created 1982 Ky. Acts ch. 164, sec. 11, effective July 15, 1982.

Don Hunter 186A.080 Motor vehicles exempt from title and registration requirements.
No Kentucky certificate of registration, license plate, or certificate of title need be applied for or obtained for:
(1) A vehicle owned by the United States unless it is registered in this state;
(2) A vehicle owned by a nonresident of this state, principally operated in another state, properly and currently registered and titled in another state;
(3) A vehicle regularly engaged in the interstate transportation of persons or property for which a currently effective lawful certificate of title has been issued in another state;
(4) A vehicle moved solely by animal power;
(5) An implement of husbandry;
(6) Special mobile equipment;
(7) A self-propelled wheelchair or invalid tricycle;
(8) A pole trailer;
(9) A motor vehicle engaged in the transportation of passengers for hire operating under a currently valid certificate of convenience and necessity; and
(10) A moped.
Effective: July 15, 1982
History: Created 1982 Ky. Acts ch. 164, sec. 13, effective July 15, 1982.

Don Hunter There is another statute that says boat trailers are exempt from needing a license plate, but that only means as long as they stay within the state boundries and are not commercial in use.
Attachments
Boat Registration info.png
Boat Registration info.png (78.9 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
Lock5
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: Usually put in at State Dock or Ali II, I can be at the lake in 1 hr. 45 min. But we boat on the Ky River, Taylorsville Lake, Green River. Ect.....

Re: Not a TECH item but info on KY Boat Registration

Post by Lock5 »

The last 7-8 boats(PWC'S) I have purchased the County Clerks have told me to ditch the titles on the trailers so you won't get the tax bill. I have told them on all that I want them transferred to me then we can go to the PVA's office and have them removed from the tax roles. Hence I end up with a trailer titled in my name, and no tax bill.

I have sold boats to Indiana, Wisconsin, Tennessee, and Ohio without any issue on the trailers.

Having said all of that, if you sell a boat, or any other taxable item(Car-Horse Trailer ect.) out of state, you will need to visit the PVA's office the next year to have it removed from the tax roles as evidently the states don't talk to each other in a timely fashion. A good rule o thumb is if it's in your name on January 1st. you owe the taxes. An out of state sale will still show you as the owner on the Jan. 1st. after the sale so you essentially will get a bill on the second year after the sale. A quick trip to the PVA's office will eliminate that bill.

Return to “Boater Tech Swap”