North Sea Work Boat

Want to post some random pics of non Lake Cumberland or even Kentucky events or scenery? Here is a spot to do it!

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

RELAX
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs Marina where the water is clear and the people real friendly!

North Sea Work Boat

Post by RELAX »

Mid October 1988 British sector of the North Sea, 120 miles south of the artic circle.

This is a DSV (diving support vessel) the "Stenna Seaspread". 280' X 68' beam. Fully equiped for mixed gas saturation diving to 500' and air diving to 250'. The saturation system can hold 16 divers at once, with a 3 man bell that is deployed thur a central moon pool located midship directly behind the forecastle and heli-pad. It is equiped with a 200 ton "wishbone Crane" on the stern and 50 ton "cherry pickers" port and starboard. Each of the bow anchors in the cradles weigh 20 ton.

The smoke in the background is two oil production platforms burning excess gas on their flairs. We were there for inspection, marine growth survey and removal, and anode replacement on the well heads and sumerged pipeline connecting the two platforms.

Ah yes the good old days when I thought I was "10 feet tall and almost bullet proof". :D I sure have mellowed a lot since then. B-)

I found this photo the other day stored in my barn stuck to the glass it was framed in. I tried to mend it with photo shop hence the blured and blue spots. One day I will find the kodachrome it was filmed on.
Attachments
imgkgbnsea008_edited-1.jpg
imgkgbnsea008_edited-1.jpg (216.89 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
Last edited by RELAX on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: North Sea Work Boat

Post by E_ »

That is AWESOME! Keep em coming!
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
RELAX
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Cave Springs Marina where the water is clear and the people real friendly!

Post by RELAX »

OK here is another.

I am ready for about 3 hours in the 40 degree water, down to about 120', wearing a KMB 18 mask and a hotwater suit. It was during a spring tide (full Moon, [neep tide new moon]) and the current was ripping!!

We didnt do any "in water decompression" we decompressed in a chamber on deck. This type of diving is call sur-D-O2 ( surface decompression using oxygen). You get the bends everytime you leave the water (very bad for your health by the way) but you are zapped back down to the depth your were at and allowed to decompress in a chamber while a new set of fresh divers were back in the water.
Attachments
kgb air dive.jpg
kgb air dive.jpg (68.42 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Post by E_ »

Relax, I hope you are scanning some pictures this summer to share with us this winter!
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
DMS

Post by DMS »

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. What kinda critters did you encounter down there?

Return to “Random Pics of whatever”