Sea Ray of Cincinnati

Had a bad experience somewhere. Put your experience here for all to see. Your comment may be rebuttled by someone within reason. Remember this is a privately owned public forum so freedom of speech is not a gurantee...

Try to stay factual and DO NOT make attacks or threats to anyone...

LakeCumberlandBoaters is not responsible for content as these are opinions of users and not LakeCumberlandBoaters.com

Moderators: E_, LC addict, FasterThanYou, crwky

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Sea Ray of Cincinnati

Post by E_ »

Sea Ray of Cincinnati

Has anyone dealt with them? Particularly on used boats (normally new boat deals are pretty easy)

Let’s hear your experience....
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: Sea Ray of Cincinnati

Post by E_ »

Well Guess I start spilling the beans since I did already on LC.com
Originally posted by Watt Money
You gonna finally get that cruiser?

Well I thought I was but my experience did not go so well.

How would you feel if you were in the middle of a deal with a salesman on a boat (the boat was at Sea Ray of Louisville) and you had gotten far enough you let them talk you into using their bank instead of yours since they felt they could get a better deal. So you complete a credit app, get approved and then you are working out some confusion in the deal when you have an odd feeling that the deal is going wrong and that you almost think they no longer want to sell you the boat. (have proof I felt that way before being told as I e-mailed someone that I felt they had sold it out from under me) then you find out one morning after having a conversation with a salesman that they are going to check with the business office the night before that they had sold the boat. In that same phone call you are told they pretty much sold it 2 days ago when you had sent your first counter statement back. not cool, not cool at all. Not even any notice that someone else was looking LET ALONE someone else was filling out a credit app on TUESDAY and looking at the boat to buy it Wednesday.
X(
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

In fact on Tuesday when I last spoke to the sales guy and he said he was going to check with the managers the last thing he asked me was:

If they make the deal will you come do the trade and buy the boat on Saturday. And I said I most certainly would.
He then said he would call me Wednesday.

Then Wednesday night I get this message
E,

I have been working on it but there is just no more room in the (BOAT name and type here). We are where we have to be on the deal. Please let me know if things change on your end and we can discuss things further if the boat is still available. I don't remember if we discussed the (another boat info) we have here. The owner of that boat would probably take somewhere in the lower XX's for it. Any interest in that boat?

Thanks,

Sales Consultant
Sea Ray of Cincinnati
513-xxx-xxxx xyyy (Office)
513-xxx-xxxx (Cell)

Hmm, so my call back became a e-mail back and that e-mail back stunk of "We sold the boat out from under you here how about this one that is not as nice" .

Very dirty IMO.
Jaybird
Better Member

Post by Jaybird »

How big of a cruiser are you looking at? I know of a couple that may be For Sale. They have been talking about it. I think one is a 270, a lake boat and the other maybe a 280, a river boat.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

This one was the perfect size for me,
SeaRay of Louisville.JPG
SeaRay of Louisville.JPG (76.1 KiB) Viewed 7455 times
The price was a little more than I wanted to pay but since it was in such good shape and had the nicer engine I was going to take that step this morning.
Right now the problem is I can't buy from "someone" since i need to trade in the bayliner so I don't have two boat payments. I should have just left all this in Don aka Marine Assist's hands.

This is the basic spill I have been putting out there:

* First and foremost I need to be able to trade in my boat, you can find details on my 2004 Bayliner 210 Classic at the link below: http://lakecumberlandboaters.com/forum/ ... p?f=24&t=4
* 24-27' Cruiser boats would be considered.
* 8.5' beam - might consider 9' beam on some models.
* MUST have trailer (in good shape)
* Must not be underpowered. - Do not want a 26' boat with a 220 hp engine. Would prefer 5.7 liter engine or larger depending on boat.
* Full cruiser - stand up head, shower, etc. Stove, sink, fridge, etc. Fore and aft berths. (assume fore is a convertible dinette)

I would be willing to deliver my boat and pick up purchased boat. Would prefer to not travel over 500 miles one way from Lexington, KY but might go further depending on the deal.

Basically my dream deal would be to find something that would be in the 25-30k range when tax, title, license, and my trade have been taken into consideration. Some count my trade as even on trade value some as -500 and some as much as 2k negative on trade value. I have found MANY MANY boats that are in that range and where it would be possible BUT they are brokered and can't take a trade or are by a private seller. I would prefer to not have anything older than 2000 but like above I was looking at a 1999 model because it was supposedly in really good shape and because I was told they could make the deal I needed. Really they were just off by $800 and I was pressing them on it and now I know why they would not budge. It was because the second day we were talking about the boat and just a day after my credit app they were working the deal for someone else. Anyway I know it is possible, I just have to have the stars align correctly. OR I just have to wait for Marine Assist to sell my boat so I am more free to make a deal.

Better Member

Post by Jaybird »

By the way I have not had any dealings with the Louisville one and never could deal with the one in Cincinnati. OK with parts though. They seem to be a little on the high side $$$$$. Always more than I wanted to pay. Usually is with name SEA RAY. :ymsigh:
Jaybird
Better Member

Post by Jaybird »

You could buy my Houseboat. That way you could keep your boat, as you always need another boat to get around. No worry about a trade in. :D :D
And I wouldn't have a big arse boat payment. :-ss :-ss :-ss
watt money
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Conley Bottom

Post by watt money »

Jaybird I've seen your boat how do you figure no big arse payment? I met you when I was at Brian and Lynn's (Concrete Dreams) boat a couple of years ago. They are good friends with my bro-in-law.
Jaybird
Better Member

Post by Jaybird »

Jaybird wrote: That would be "And I wouldn't have a big arse boat payment. " anymore. :D :D
watt money
Better Member

Post by watt money »

Duh I get it.... #-o #-o
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

watt money wrote:Duh I get it.... #-o #-o
"Elderly"? =)) =)) =)) =))
"The language of friendship is not words but meaning." (Henry David Thoreau)
watt money
Better Member

Post by watt money »

Ha Ha Glad you enjoyed my "senior" moment. :-\ :-\ :D
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

lol, well 101 views here and 785 views on LakeCumberland.com/forum Hope that sale was worth it Jeff E. and Company....
Nervous Wreck
MASTER MEMBER
Marina/Ramp: old Alli-1

Post by Nervous Wreck »

Sorry to hear about your 'bad' deal 'E'. Looked like a nice boat!
MarineAssist
Better Member

Post by MarineAssist »

E_HILLMAN wrote:lol, well 101 views here and 785 views on LakeCumberland.com/forum Hope that sale was worth it Jeff E. and Company....
Remind me to always be nice to Hillman! LOL :D
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

MarineAssist wrote:
E_HILLMAN wrote:lol, well 101 views here and 785 views on LakeCumberland.com/forum Hope that sale was worth it Jeff E. and Company....
Good luck wif that! :D :D
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

MarineAssist wrote:

LOL, you already figured out you don't have to be nice to me. Just be open and honest with me. (I don't seeing that being an issue with you) lol
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

E_HILLMAN wrote:

LOL, you already figured out you don't have to be nice to me.
WOOHOO! It's ofishal! We don't have to be nice to E! :D ;;) :-* :ymapplause: (Talk about leavin' the door open! #-o #-o )
Fall Creek
Better Member
Marina/Ramp: Fall Creek rmap

Post by Fall Creek »

you know after looking at that picture you posted E that boat looks just like the boat I just bought. =))
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

re3too wrote:
E_HILLMAN wrote:

WOOHOO! It's ofishal! We don't have to be nice to E! :D ;;) :-* :ymapplause: (Talk about leavin' the door open! #-o #-o )

Its not like you ever started to begin with! [-(
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Fall Creek wrote:you know after looking at that picture you posted E that boat looks just like the boat I just bought. =))
I would love to know who bought it just to know how long they were dealing on the boat as well.
re3too
MASTER MEMBER

Post by re3too »

E_HILLMAN wrote:
re3too wrote:
E_HILLMAN wrote:

Its not like you ever started to begin with! [-(
:^o :^o :^o :^o :D ;;) :-* :^o :^o :^o :^o
crwky

Post by crwky »

E, being in sales all of my life selling anything from RVs to Dozers and just about anything you can think of. I don't see where the dealership is in the wrong. You only close about 30% of the deals you work. The way I read your post you had not confirmed the deal or put a deposit on the boat. I hate to tell you but that is the way it is if dealers quit working deals on things because they had one person looking they would be broke in 6 months. To address your comment about not getting a call about someone else being on the deal. I have had it go both ways. You call the guy and tell him someone else is on it and it makes him mad and he says thats fine let him have it. Some people see it as an high presure deal. Now other people will step up but as a salesman you never know what you are going to get when you make that call. Who's to say you did not step in front of the other guy and that is what made him move. There is a lot that goes into this deal but the bottom line if you are trying to buy something you better get it tied up if you want it. If not don't be mad at the dealer or salesman for doing what they have to do to make a living. Bottom line you were $800 appart and not in the office and someone was there in the flesh ready to sign papers and pay the price they get the deal every time.

I'm sorry if this is not what you want to hear. It may give you a look into the other side. It will work out and what you end up with will be a better deal in the end. It always works like that.

I'm sure faster has seen just what I'm talking about.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

Everywhere else I have dealt with C has put the boat in pending status. THEY had the boat in pending status and no one told me there was someone else or that I was going to lose the deal. If it was a lie then it would be wrong but if someone else is indeed in line I would have more than likely taken the boat that night. The point is on Tuesday I was SERIOUSLY in the deal AND I told them if I did a credit app it was to buy the boat. Then they gave me a number a little different than what I felt we had discussed on the phone so I counter offered. They said they would check and get back with me. THEY did not, they instead e-mailed me the next evening still acting like the deal was mine and then the next day said they sold it to someone else when in reality they had sold it to someone else the day before and worked the deal the day before that. If that is how you deal I will make note to never enter into a deal with you. ;) I'd like to think you are more straight up than that. ...and if they were letting me step in on the other guy that is wrong too!

All I am asking for is honesty and openness. If someone can not give me that then I don't want anything to do with them. I have dealt with MANY dealers in the past couple of years and this one and one other one in Wisconsin are the only ones I have had an issue with. THIS one however took the cake.

Maybe you are not getting the whole story. They led me to beleive it was my deal and that they were checking on a counter from me. I was prepared to buy and told them to not run my credit unless they could deliver what they claimed and that it was a done deal. Any dealer that requies a deposit to "hold" a boat has also let me know that up front. The other deal I was speaking of I put a 1k deposit on the boat and then they screwed the numbers on me basically hitting me for 4k more than previously mentioned.

Just this morning I have had two places contact me and let me know they were very interested in earning my business BUT they were already in the middle of a deal with someone else and that they would get back with me if the deal did not work out. They did not want to discuss ANYTHING at that point until they were sure the other deal was not going to happen. (I call that integrity as they could have led me on and also used it against the other guy) Oh wait that is most likely what someone else did huh.....

Like I said I have spoke to HUNDREDS of dealers and this one was the worst. I dare say in this economy if you reflected these tactics you would be out of business. I think the only thing holding them up right now is the reputation of the former owners. IMO.... Look at the comments on lakecumberland.com of people that have dealt with the "new" company. Guess they did me a favor. I have talked to Faster about a couple boats. We never got close to a situation like this. Faster states when a deposit is needed or when a deal is not do-able... He discloses everything up front. Just wish he had something that I wanted and was in my range as I would not be looking any further. Thank gosh for people like him and Marine Assist.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

PS, just got a letter that concerned me. Though they told me they only run credit with one place I just found out they had multiple banks run my credit. That is aggrivating since it is generally a 3 point drop each time. ARGH! Freakin no integrity losers!
splashngo
I posted something! WooHoo!

Post by splashngo »

E, On your list of things you wart on a cruiser I didn't see air condition. That is the first thing I look for. My boat also has heat and I love it. We would have lost a lot of boating without it when the little one was a baby. She started boating before she was 2 months old and the ac made our lives easer with her. Also don't be afraid of a 9ft beam unless it is a problem for your storage. My boat is 10ft beam and I tow it and never had a problem. Good luck on getting a cruiser. And be thankful the deal at Sea Ray of Cincinnati went south.
E_
Site Admin

Post by E_ »

You are very right, I definitely WANT AC but it is not a have to have... (YOU TOW A 10' BEAM? HOW FAR? WOW? I was scared the 9' would get me pulled over.)

Then again should I make it a have to have? Not sure yet... lol Thanks for the confirmation on Sea Ray of Cincy.
watt money
Better Member

Post by watt money »

If you have a/c then you need a gen if you want it on the lake, I have a/c and heat but only at the slip.
splashngo

Post by splashngo »

E,I bought it in Cincinnati in 2004. It has been from here to the lake several times. Took it to WEBN fireworks a few times.Also it has been to Dale Hollow. Love not having to depend on someone to move it for me. I kept it many years at Hilltop Marine but moved it to Davis Rental a few years ago. Made it easer to go back for the Sea Doo because we boat mostly out of Conley since the lake dropped. Watt Money I have a honda EU2000 generator and it runs the 10,000 watt AC. We use the stove ,Tv and things like that. We mostly cove out. I wanted a generator but could not afford a boat in 2004 with one. Thought I would only have this boat a few years when I bought it. I has been such a good boat I still have it and she is part of the family now. May add a generator in the future to her when I get to old to lug the 47 lb generator around. Also like being able to put her in dry storage and out of the sun when I am done with her. She is 13 years old and still looks almost new.
watt money
Better Member

Post by watt money »

Splash glad you posted about the Honda 2000 it's been on my wish list for about 3 years now but whenever I think I can get one one of my boats decides they need the money worse. lol I've been going to rent one to make sure it would run the a/c. Will it run your battery charger also? I know it won't with the a/c running but separately? How big is your boat? I have a 29' Sea Ray. I've never been able to find the specs in my manual that's why I was going to rent first. Where do you place the gen on your boat out on the front by the anchor? Thanks splash I've been wanting to talk to someone who has tried this for a while now.
splashngo

Post by splashngo »

Watt, My boat is a 30'. It will run the battery charger. It is a 20 amp charger and a 4 bank battery set up.If the batteries are not dead it will run the charger and ac at the same time. Will run the tv and ac at the same time. I have a two burned stove and it will run them both on high. I put the generator the swim platform and tie it to the back rail.I have never had a problem with it moving around. My ac is a 10,000 btu. Your ac should have a label on it telling the btu. If we are at the lake at the same time you can try this one. One of my friends has a 27' Regal and uses the same generator on his boat. Puts his on the swim platform also. When I am in the aft cabin the water pump for the ac makes more noise than the generator.
watt money
Better Member

Post by watt money »

Cool splash appreciate the offer and thanks for the info.

Return to “Consumer Complaints for all to see”