New way to Combat Spammers

Moderator: E_

E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

New way to Combat Spammers

Post by E_ »

All

I have now added a Q & A security question for new users getting registered as the captcha code was only really keeping $pare out when he would lock his account out instead of keeping spammers from registering.

The current security question is "Please enter the state Lake Cumberland is in with the first and last letters being capital then enter a space and the answer to 101-1="

I also tested the board from a new registered test account and all looked pretty good but I just wanted to remind some of the new users of the following thread:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23
As it might be a better way to view the forum for them using subsilver2. ;)

In other news I am pondering removing the IP ban list where banned users and IPs will again be able to see the forum and I will just use the new registered users security to weed them out. This might allow some faster responses and also keep people that are not banned from getting banned messages.

Thanks

E

(If you have any questions feel free to send me a Private Message or start a new thread in the general discussion) :ymcowboy:
Buy American, the job you save just might be your own.
E_
Site Admin
Marina/Ramp: Currently mostly out of Jamestown but spend a lot of time at the other Marinas.

Pre2012-Conley Bottom Mostly, Waitsboro, Alligator I&II ramps, Leesford, Pulaski County Park (when it has water), Grider, State Dock (via boat), and Jamestown are a few places you might find me.

Re: New way to Combat Spammers

Post by E_ »

WOW! since I posted that until now normally I would have had to delete about 30 spammer accounts and 2 or 3 posts in the queue. But as of right now... NO spammers have joined since I made the change! WOOHOO!
E_
Site Admin

Re: New way to Combat Spammers

Post by E_ »

Had our FIRST spammer make it through last night. They were from India. Hope this is not a sign of more to come.

Return to “Forum News”